Loves And Dislikes Of Boating On The Broads

Gracie

8 hours ago, addicted said:

I really dislike seeing vases of flowers on board boats It just looks inappropriate to me and also washing of any kind drying on rails or anywhere outside the boat.

Carole

There's a Broads sailing cruiser called Crystal. Crystal habitually sails with a chamber pot full of flowers on her counter, indeed we'd all be agarst if she was out sailing minus her floral decoration.

• Like 3

Gracie,  I have a very discreet washing line under our covered walkway,  never use the rails or windows.  It is essential on a two plus week break.  :dance

Matron has a vase of fresh flowers in the summer,  I dislike,  she like,  so they stay.

I know which battles to fight. :hardhat:

• Like 3

Mark, I can understand the discreet washing line on a two week break but perleease not hanging out of the windows or the bow rails, I saw a pair of knickers hanging on the bow rail once that made Bridget Jones look like a stick insect :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 3

I love almost everything, from bouncing across a choppy Breydon, to cruising beautiful stretches of river, to reversing a boat out of Neatishead Dyke, to the peace of an Ant wild mooring. 

I dislike people who charge around literally at full throttle, people who play their music loud enough for me to hear it and anything that holds me up from cruising (breakdowns and stuff). 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Mark, I can understand the discreet washing line on a two week break but perleease not hanging out of the windows or the bow rails, I saw a pair of knickers hanging on the bow rail once that made Bridget Jones look like a stick insect :facepalm:

Grace

Yes but just think how much fuel they saved :Sailing

• Like 4

Love wild mooring and watching the boats go by. Love the kids and adults alike pointing at the boat name and laughing and waving. Love waking up in the morning swinging round the mudweight on a broad with the sun reflecting off the water on the cabin deckhead. Love watching a sailie as it tacks  gracefully past us.

Don't love day boats for a number of reasons. Going back home and pump outs...............

• Like 3

My dislike is when a boat moors up in a public mooring and leaves a large gap but not enough to get a small boat in. I used to laugh at it but now we have a dog I can't wild moor as much.

Hate the 4hr drive but like getting to the yard and getting sorted, Guy's on the yard at Ricko's remember you and come and say hello, it's good your a customer and not a number these days.

Love getting back to the top of the Ant the afternoon before returning to watch the new boats putting the zig zag into boating round bends.

• Like 2

We were going from The Bell moorings at St Olaves to Sommerlayton during half term a couple of weeks ago and were worried about finding a mooring there as it was getting on a bit. As we went past Haddiscoe 24hr moorings we saw a gap that we could just about fit in if a sailing boat move up a bit. We turned around came Close along side and politely ask them if they would do so. He was happy to do so. We went down stream a little and turned around to come back. Not only had the saily move but the cruiser behind him had moved up the other way so we could get in easily. We were on Swallow so if either of you read this a big thank you for your kind action.

• Like 10

Friday was the start of the fishing season. Unlike last year it was something of a red-letter day, indeed a red-letter weekend. Sunday was father's day, not only me but also son in laws. Sitting on the river bank, or in the shade of our shed, we quaffed  well chilled Aspells and Adnams, whilst scoffing fresh raspberries and strawberries from the garden, champagne and strawberries at Wimbledon is no comparison. Living besides the Broads doesn't come much better, it really is God's acre on earth. 

• Like 10

Just now, grendel said:

dont let Griff hear you saying that- he will of course insist Yorkshire is marginally better.

Broadland was annexed by Yorkshire in the 1950's and consequently became a suburb of Doncaster. I thought everyone knew that? :facepalm:

• Like 1

Took a day off Friday for the start of the fishing season as Mrs. W. was off to take that concert in the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spent the day at White Slea mooring at Heigham sound. No fish really but a lovely day. I did apply the factor 50, but the mozzie repellant washed it off so came back looking like one of JM`s strawberries. So Saturday I thought I would score a few brownie points and instead of fishing again I cut the lawn, whilst doing so I managed to scalp myself on an apple tree, leaving a large portion of said scalp hanging from the offending branch. This on top of the sunburn really "stung" Bear in mind I have no hair I look like something from a Apache raid and nothing to cover it with.

Still the lawn looks good :angel:

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, grendel said:

dont let Griff hear you saying that- he will of course insist Yorkshire is marginally better.

Then why is Griff always so keen to be on the Broads? Why do so many of his fellow Yorkshire people come to Norfolk? Why doesn't a corresponding number of Broads folk visit Yorkshire? Because the Broads is the true heaven on earth!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Broadland was annexed by Yorkshire in the 1950's and consequently became a suburb of Doncaster. I thought everyone knew that? :facepalm:

Oh no it wasn't! Some might argue that its been annexed by a bloody upstart town planner from down South but even that's not true, The Broads is The Broads and long may it remain so, so there!

• Like 2

I hate that moment after dinner, when you think, I know I will sit on the stern and stare at the moonshadow and listen to the bittern boom and all will be well with the world.  So you sit on the stern and then you hear the whine in your ear and you slap it before the little blighter bites you.  And then your leg itches so you slap that.  And then you hear that whine again, but this time it's a drone and you look up and the twilight sky is now black with swarms of mossies.  And then you look behind you and the white boat you just lent back on is covered with doofus little black flies which are now stuck due to the evening dew and you've managed to smear them all over you.  And then you hear that whine again and you think sod the bittern and go back inside!  

I love pretty much everything else...

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Minifer, that wouldn't be the legendary Essex w(h)ine then?

I hear enough of that from the other half, he's from Essex!  And he got away with this over the weekend.  They did not escape luckily for him otherwise it would have been maggot in black bean sauce for dinner.

IMG_1058.JPG

• Like 3