Sitting On Me Wall

Sometimes Mrs Wussername and I pop over to Reedham by car to eat our meagre lunch by the river. Watching the antics of the boaters as they battle wind and tide………………. and each other.

I always walk up the quay heading looking at the boats and occasionally chatting with the holiday makers. It is always a pleasure to speak to the harbour master or the Broads Authority Ranger whatever is his correct title.  I then wander back towards the car so as not to miss any orders or instructions from Mrs W who is normally ensconced in a book

I then sit on the wall and survey all that beholds me.

I try and keep a low profile and make a point of not interfering in the duties of the harbour master although there has been occasion where his work load is such, particularly on days of extreme tidal or weather conditions, that I have been able to temporally secure a boat to await his final approval.

One such occasion occurred last year. The HB was dealing with a boat at the far end of the quay near the Sanderson boat yard I was sitting on my wall opposite a picnic boat from the Waveny River Centre. The tide was barrelling down the river. The wind was howling across the marshes towards the northern bank where the Haynes craft was moored. The occupants, some ten people started to prepare the boat for leaving. It was going to be an experience for all.

The boat went forward and hit the boat in front. It then went in reverse and hit the boat behind. The pin ball wizard at the helm continued this procedure for several minutes. Then a lady immerged from the cabin and proceeded to push the boat out, and at the very last minute leapt onto the boat. Which was  promptly  blown back onto the bank.

Now, sometimes you have to be very careful when offering advice, some get offended. This women was no exception. I ventured to ask her if I could be of assistance and tell them what they should do.

“I do not need your help, thank you very much” she said in a very aggressive manner and disappeared back on the boat, which continued to ricochet backwards and forwards as before.

I thought to myself, get you back on your wall, let em get on with it. So I did.

I sat there pretending to be looking at anything and everything other than their boat.

Everything seemed to go quiet and I was mindful of a person standing close to me. I looked up to see one of the crew from the picnic boat. He was very polite and apologetic and apologised profusely for the attitude shown by a member of his group. He had come to the realisation that without help there was no way he was going to be able to leave the mooring.

So I explained to him and the helm as to the best way to continue. They followed my advice, albeit the helm by this time found himself in a trance and simply was unable to comprehend the simplest of instructions. Anyway short story long, they eventually managed to get on their way

Another episode, this week in fact, was quite bizarre.

Once again sitting on me wall, two ladies, two very small dogs, in a small cruiser came into Reedham, with the flood tide, on a windy Wednesday.

They proceeded to try and moor opposite to where I was sitting. The HB was at lunch. Don’t get involved I thought to myself. The boat had come from a local boatyard and I knew full well that they would have be told to moor against the tide but like some they had failed to listen or understand or perhaps didn’t want too.

Four attempts were made, each attempt more disastrous than the former. They then proceeded to travel up river past the Harbour Masters hut. As the ranger was at lunch I decided to walk up the bank and watch from a discreet distance.

One could see from the outset that all was not well. On the bow of the boat was a bird nest of ropes. A rope connected to the mud weight, a mooring rope tied to a cleat and another rope of an indeterminable purpose.

I asked if they needed a hand and was informed “no thanks we can manage thank you” said very politely, I had no problem with that. The ladies friend proceeded to tie up the stern. (the bows would have been favourite). The dogs leapt onto the bank. The other lady held onto the bow rope. One of the little dogs tried to scamper past, but was stopped. And then was promptly tied to the bow rope So we had the bow rope attached to boat and the other end tied to the dog. The women held the middle of the rope with a somewhat vacant expression puzzling as to how she was going to secure the boat to the mooring post with a fast running tide.

Wondering perhaps that the dog might have possessed many attributes, one of which was boat handling skills, I was loathe to interfere. However, against my better judgement I offered my services again, which thankfully were gratefully received. I untied the dog, tied up the boat, walked down the quay and retired to my seat.

Well another day at Reedham, another day on me wall, give me a wave when you go past.

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

Very enjoyable read and I think that most of us can imagine those kind of goings-on. We will always accept help to moor as there is only ever the two of us on board. And we have had our help refused as well, particularly at Ludham Bridge this year when the couple on board an old Rick's bathtub could not have been making much more of a mess of trying to get into the bank and secured.

But I have to say that having taken out a day boat from the Waveney River Centre recently, they are so busy at handover time, with a queue of people all waiting to take over their boats, that instruction is probably minimal although in fairness being experienced we didn't need too much instruction. The boat itself was a nightmare to moor. Reedham is the limit of how far you are allowed to go in that direction - you're not allowed to cross the chain ferry.

• Like 2

Brilliant, just brilliant, Old Wusser, please don't leave it too long before you're sitting on your wall again

If you see us coming into moor at Reedham, you probably won't see me, I will be in my cabin for the duration of said mooring, where upon I will remain for the rest of the day if im indoors messes up lol

Bring on the next instalment please :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:51, Wussername said:

.....give me a wave when you go past.

It won't work..... how will you know I'm waving at you and how will I know you're there?:42_confused:

We  got offered help leaving Reedham once. Even though we were confident we could manage we still accepted the help. We always accept any offers of help. Tell you why.

There are people like Wussername all over the broads who are willing to stop what they're doing (even if it is just sitting on a wall) to offer help. If their offers are regularly turned down they may decide not to bother anymore, then come the time you need help there's no one around. Plus it's polite.

Thanks Wusser.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Wyndham said:

There are people like Wussername all over the broads who are willing to stop what they're doing (even if it is just sitting on a wall) to offer help. If their offers are regularly turned down they may decide not to bother anymore, then come the time you need help there's no one around. Plus it's polite.

Thanks Wusser.

I agree completely with that. Reedham was my first lesson in reversing out of a mooring, a tale I have probably told before. But it was our first trip for many years and our first time on the southern Broads. I could not figure out how I was going to get away without hitting something as I was clearly going to go too fast with the tide to manoeuvre out in forward gear! A very helpful private boat owner saw I was struggling and called out to me from the quayside exactly what to do, how far back out into the river to go and when it was safe to now move forward. A very valuable lesson that I have never forgotten and have used many times.

• Like 1

It's ok accepting help and we all need it at sometime but I wish they would not grab the rope and heave like mad forcing the boat to crash into the key heading, if you offer to take someone's ropes just hold them until instructed other wise.

i can imagine sitting on the wall at Reedham can give you hours of entertainment please can we have some more tail from the river bank.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

no sooner did he have the rope in his hands, but like all landlubbers he began to pull...

That one has stuck in my mind from 50+ years ago.

Was it Picts & Martyrs & the landlubber was Timothy?
(If I wasn't being lazy / having work to do I'd go up to loft & peruse the full set)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

It's ok accepting help and we all need it at sometime but I wish they would not grab the rope and heave like mad forcing the boat to crash into the key heading, if you offer to take someone's ropes just hold them until instructed other wise.

i can imagine sitting on the wall at Reedham can give you hours of entertainment please can we have some more tail from the river bank.  

How true, particularly when they do it on purpose! A few years back we were going in to moor at Aldeby, trying not to disturb two fishermen who were there. One of them came and offered to take the bow rope that I was waiting with. I said thank you and handed it to him, he grabbed it and pulled as hard as he possibly could ramming the pulpit rail into the quay heading. It was fairly low water so the rail was perfectly positioned for the quay heading. I just managed to push the boat off in time otherwise we would have suffered a severely dented rail. It was clear from his smirk that the manoeuvre was intended. He was no landlubber as our conversation later (I always mantain my 'sweetness and light' :default_smiley-angelic002: ) included chat about his boat. The episode has stayed with me but I am always grateful for a helping hand.

13 hours ago, vanessan said:

One of them came and offered to take the bow rope that I was waiting with. I said thank you and handed it to him, he grabbed it and pulled as hard as he possibly could ramming the pulpit rail into the quay heading. It was fairly low water so the rail was perfectly positioned for the quay heading. I just managed to push the boat off in time otherwise we would have suffered a severely dented rail. It was clear from his smirk that the manoeuvre was intended. He was no landlubber as our conversation later (I always mantain my 'sweetness and light' ) included chat about his boat. The episode has stayed with me but I am always grateful for a helping hand.

He sounds like a nice helpful chap

Were you not tempted to tred on his fishing rod, I reckon he would have found it hilarious...

:default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

On our holiday on the Yare last week I was able to join old Wussername for a sit and a mardle on his wall, and watch the passing boats.

Turns out, his wall is only few yards from the Lord Nelson!

Lifebelt.thumb.jpg.ff22c1050a33112e6b6e22ac12eb03d9.jpg

Pointing.thumb.jpg.30e0fc9219b40c8a5346ef8b90e58c71.jpg

59c3971dcc20e_Wallfall.thumb.jpg.28e1bc9a3d9d73200217ffccaacaae8b.jpg

The nice man from the Broads Authority said how much he appreciated our help.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Its thanks to people like you that we got moored up at all during our very first holiday on the broads.  We were just about to run away from Neatishead when a very kind couple shouted out they would help us, we were so very grateful to them.  

We still love to be offered a hand, gives us a chance for a little chat too! 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2017 at 11:48, Vaughan said:

On our holiday on the Yare last week I was able to join old Wussername for a sit and a mardle on his wall, and watch the passing boats.

Turns out, his wall is only few yards from the Lord Nelson!

Lifebelt.thumb.jpg.ff22c1050a33112e6b6e22ac12eb03d9.jpg

Pointing.thumb.jpg.30e0fc9219b40c8a5346ef8b90e58c71.jpg

59c3971dcc20e_Wallfall.thumb.jpg.28e1bc9a3d9d73200217ffccaacaae8b.jpg

The nice man from the Broads Authority said how much he appreciated our help.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5

Seeing those piccies why do I suddenly have the last of the summer wine theme in my head???

• Haha 6