Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

LondonRascal

Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

Recommended Posts

Well, I have to say that the patronising behaviour in the chandlers reminded me of the snooty dress shop owners in 'Pretty Woman'; they came unstuck too. 

I agree with the above.     

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the attitudes of some of the employees at a certain chandlers near Wroxham, there seems to be an attitude that goes with the territory, so to speak. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that some chandlers have a disturbing ability to look down on people with the exception of Brian Wards IMHO , that said it happens in all walks of life including dare I say it forums , my new policy is humour them , there's no need to tell them your life story to get better service and better treatment yiu should get that naturally regardless of what boat you own , me I'd have voted with my feet and simply walk away saying nothing as now as soon as Robin pops in it mostly likely will be the red carpet treatment and joe blogs the man in the street still gets bad service because he only wants a impeller for his BMC, walking away and saying nothing keeps them guessing , stating exactly what your boat makes them treat you better at possibly expense of other's , nothing will change with in that shop or with that staff member for the benefit of all customer's by making a statement only a complaint that's taken onboard by the management will make a change .

To me its big chains that tend to act this way , your smaller and probably local chandler's tends to give a  indiscriminate level of service to all in my experience , OK it might be a couple of quid more but once again from experience they will help you out in a crisis even if you turn up just as they are shutting up  , and its supplier's like that whom gain my support , of I have to spend countless thousands to get good service then they can climb on my erect middle finger .

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion theres nothing more satisfying than witnessing a stranger make completely the wrong assessment of you then swiftly having to kiss the proverbial when they realise their mistake!!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing her Robin! Wonder how much teak carpet we can put on her!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best example of a change of attitude I've seen was when a mate who worked on a gas platform in the North Sea asked for a lift to an upmarket car dealership in Colchester. Loaned him a crash helmet and off we went. We were greeted by a sharply dressed young man "What can we do for you lads?" Dave - "I'd like a test drive in the black 911 please" "And how would you pay for it....... Sir...... Finance.?" "No thanks, I've cash" Removing a roll of 50s from his ratty Belstaff big enough to choke a badger there was a rapid change of tack and yes, he did buy it! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

......some I don't think took me seriously. Indeed I think some felt I was making things up, being a stirrer (or in online parlance a Troll) - and no, none of this came from this Forum who have been most gracious all along.  But then it happened and  paid my money and got the keys and people thought "Oh blimey he was real and he did do it".

I read all that, thought you handled it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stumpy said:

The best example of a change of attitude I've seen was when a mate who worked on a gas platform in the North Sea asked for a lift to an upmarket car dealership in Colchester. Loaned him a crash helmet and off we went. We were greeted by a sharply dressed young man "What can we do for you lads?" Dave - "I'd like a test drive in the black 911 please" "And how would you pay for it....... Sir...... Finance.?" "No thanks, I've cash" Removing a roll of 50s from his ratty Belstaff big enough to choke a badger there was a rapid change of tack and yes, he did buy it! 

An excellent way to deal with things , minimum words and proof of a point never judge a book by its cover , trust me that's one thing I really really dislike in all forms of society there is just no need for it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stumpy. Had the same thing with a builder, who used to come into the pub I used to run. He was a very rich man but always worked with the lads. He always turned up with the lads after work and every thing was on his tab.

One day he walked into the local mercedes dealership, scruffy as usual carrying what to all intents and purposes was his shopping in a sainsbury's carrier bag.

He walked up to the salesman and said " I'd like to buy that top of the range SLK in the front of the window".

The salesman looked down his nose and said " I don't think sir could afford that sort of motor car"

The builder Turned round swept his arm across  the salemans desk sweeping paperwork and phones off the desk and proceeded to empty the sainsburys bag all over his desk. Sure enough great wadges of cash flowed out

The salesmans jaw dropped a full foot.

He then picked up his money and said to the salesman " You can stick the car where the sun don't shine.  I will go to Park lane where they know how to treat a customer and know how to service and look after my three other Mercedes".

I don't think the salesman was there for much longer.

As as already been said don't judge a book by it's cover.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Stumpy. Had the same thing with a builder, who used to come into the pub I used to run. He was a very rich man but always worked with the lads. He always turned up with the lads after work and every thing was on his tab.

One day he walked into the local mercedes dealership, scruffy as usual carrying what to all intents and purposes was his shopping in a sainsbury's carrier bag.

He walked up to the salesman and said " I'd like to buy that top of the range SLK in the front of the window".

The salesman looked down his nose and said " I don't think sir could afford that sort of motor car"

The builder Turned round swept his arm across  the salemans desk sweeping paperwork and phones off the desk and proceeded to empty the sainsburys bag all over his desk. Sure enough great wadges of cash flowed out

The salesmans jaw dropped a full foot.

He then picked up his money and said to the salesman " You can stick the car where the sun don't shine.  I will go to Park lane where they know how to treat a customer and know how to service and look after my three other Mercedes".

I don't think the salesman was there for much longer.

As as already been said don't judge a book by it's cover.

Another story, strangely involving a Mercedes dealer;

A friend of mine worked in the oil & gas industry had had a few very "lucky breaks " coupled with a lot of hard work in difficult conditions made a lot of money quite quickly, he'd always wanted a Mercedes so he went into the showroom dressed pretty much like he went to work.

Tell me about this one he asked pointing to a S Class AMG, the salesman explained the car at some length and in some detail , OK now please; now tell me about this he asked pointing to G Wagon AMG. The salesman replied  If you have an interest in a S Class why would want to know about a G Wagon, I'll get one of my other (junior) salesman to explain it to you sensing a time wasting tyre kicker. The junior salesman told him about the G Wagon again in some detail,  when the sales pitch had finished the junior salesman asked my friend what he thought, to which my friend replied "I'll take them both" and they walked over the sales office to write up the deal. Sensing a sale the senior salesman came over and on realising it was for two expensive cars tried to take over, at which point my friend explained that the unless the junior salesman got both full credit and full commission for the sale he was going to walk out. The junior salesman got a good month on commission

Again "book and cover" story

  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you walk into a car dealers nowadays with pockets full of cash they would refuse to take it. Most have a £5000 limit some even less, I could not even pay for my car with a debit card without a 1.5% surcharge but they did give me a lift to the bank to do an online payment.

Doug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

If you walk into a car dealers nowadays with pockets full of cash they would refuse to take it. Most have a £5000 limit some even less, I could not even pay for my car with a debit card without a 1.5% surcharge but they did give me a lift to the bank to do an online payment.

Doug.

I think there is a law now about a maximum value for any cash transaction, which I recall is the same value of cash that you are allowed to bring into the UK undeclared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around £10k I think.

 

A few years back my dad bought a red car from a well known dealership in the new Forest, I asked the salesman there how he spotted time wasters, was it shoes or watches? He said he didn’t, his reply.... “you don’t know who won the lottery last night”

very nice attitude 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people love to flaunt their supposedly  wealth or status  ,as seen in the  job descriptions of many now associates,partners ,executives. Etc giving. you  often no idea of what they do.? I remember a video when I did my VHF. Radio  course it showed a Mayday being received  and HIS. position being requested ,to which the boater replied " Managing Director of ????? and sons " not the spot he was at and in trouble !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:25, LondonRascal said:

 

I hate this timed out lark, my post is now lost, so please ignore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most dealers would prefer you to take finance now anyway as thats where most of the profit comes from, that and all the other insurances and "Superguard" type stuff...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

Most dealers would prefer you to take finance now anyway as thats where most of the profit comes from, that and all the other insurances and "Superguard" type stuff...

I did my own Gardex treatment inside and out for £12 from flebay.

The garage wanted £525.

Doug

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I did my own Gardex treatment inside and out for £12 from flebay.

The garage wanted £525.

Doug

Buying the car was quite easy and their insurance was cheaper (well for the first year anyway), hard part was swerving their other offers : fixed price service contract, GAP insurance, key loss insurance, paintwork protect, alloy wheel insurance etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i withdrew some cash to pay for some building works I'd had done, the cashier asked what i wanted it for?! I asked why she wanted to know she said it was for anti money laundering rules. She said she had to put something in the box on her screen. I toyed with the idea of telling her is was for a surface to air missile system for the roof but thought better if it. I must admit I wouldn't know how to launder money anyway I've never got the hang of the washing machine :default_blink: but i wonder if anyone planning on laundering money would tell the bank cashier!

(Sorry slightly off topic but I've typed it now) :default_coat:

Keep up the good work Robin!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Londonlad1985 said:

When i withdrew some cash to pay for some building works I'd had done, the cashier asked what i wanted it for?! I asked why she wanted to know she said it was for anti money laundering rules. She said she had to put something in the box on her screen. I toyed with the idea of telling her is was for a surface to air missile system for the roof but thought better if it. I must admit I wouldn't know how to launder money anyway I've never got the hang of the washing machine :default_blink: but i wonder if anyone planning on laundering money would tell the bank cashier!

(Sorry slightly off topic but I've typed it now) :default_coat:

Keep up the good work Robin!

Don't try to launder money in a washing machine: it will get lost in that secret compartment that loses socks

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go to the bank this week to pay for some building work iam having done and was asked the same question - my reply of course was with a question which was " is this my money or yours "  the reply was " yours Sir " ...............i took MY money and left 

 

Finny

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think this thread needs splitting into two it's drifted away from what could be a long running topic for LR like Griffs was on BA he did on the otherside.

My view only.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Our new mobile app is available now on Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.