Sad News

RayandCarole

June 2016

Police were called to attend a boat on Wroxham Broad at 4pm this afternoon, Thursday 9 June 2016 following concerns for safety due to the length of time the vessel had been moored in that location.

On attendance officers found two people and a dog deceased within the boat moored near Wroxham Island.

A seal has been put in place around the area whilst officers from Great Yarmouth CID determine the circumstances surrounding their deaths.

Due to the early stages of police enquiries, the deaths are being treated as unexplained at this time.

Any further updates will be issued proactively.

Ray

More 

River at Wroxham island closed

The stretch of river around Wroxham island has been closed while investigations into an incident take place.

Vessels are being diverted through Wroxham Broad until further notice.

The Broads Authority 24-hour moorings are also currently closed.

An update will be posted when the river is open again.

Ray

One, should of course, never speculate in these matters but it appears to have all the makings of yet another boating CO tragedy. Whatever the cause, tragic.

Hi all,

not a nice subject, but i heard less than an hour ago on the BBC radio news that 2 people and a dog were found dead on a boat on Wroxham Broad, does anybody know any more, as the BBC news team did`nt give out any details, or how it happened?.

Sympathies to the families they`ve left behind.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Just been on the EDP24 (sorry I don't know how to link it) and they show a photo of the boat, taken from a distance. Obviously not a hire boat, more like an offshore craft.

Vaughan, I think that you might be right although in this day and age hire boats come in all shapes and sizes so we really don't know. Photo of the boat here, perhaps someone does recognise her.

2016-5a_1.jpg

8 hours ago, kadensa said:

Sorry everyone, I've no idea why it's showing multiple posts, but I can't seem to delete them.

Perhaps one of the moderators will delete them for you.

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Done

9 hours ago, kadensa said:

So why do it?

Its basic human nature to speculate when things like this happen, isn't it?! 

I can't think of anything other than carbon monoxide that could result in a tragedy in such circumstances but that's not to say some other freak situation couldn't have occurred causing the deaths.  

Many of us don't realise how vunerable we become in enclosed spaces with lots of equipment capable of killing us very quickly if things go wrong. 

It's worth taking this tragic event as a stark reminder to test our own devices as they do save lives. 

When installing a detector on our boat many years ago it quickly became apparent that we couldn't even use 1 ring on the hob to boil the kettle without a window or hatch fully open or the alarm would activate.  

This incident may well have nothing to do with it but my thoughts are with the families concerned.  

• Like 4

Now who's speculating? That Daily Mail article is disgraceful journalism. Do they ever proof-read these things? This is not even O level English.

Neither of their photos is a "20ft" boat.

Why do they immediately link it to another crime, which happens to have been on the same river, near Salhouse?

I understand people's thoughts about CO. It sprang to my mind as well, as I have had the misfortune to discover the victims on one occasion, back in the 60s.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this at this stage. We don't even know how long the boat had been moored there. No doubt tomorrow will bring more details.

• Like 2

The easy speculative answer to this tragedy is of course co toxicity.  What in my mind throws that one out of the window is that most vessels nowadays have the relevant monitors to sound the alarm if there is poisonous gasses about ('B.A' has two of them fitted)  But to my mind, why would anyone have heating running in the current climate?  Unless of course it was a water heater that was faulty.  We will just have to wait and see.   And yes I'm speculating which is imho is only natural.  Respects to the family and hopefully the boating community can learn a lesson to minimise the tragedy happing again when we learn of the cause

Griff

• Like 4

I was thinking along the same lines as Griff but in saying that it was a bit chilly down here last night.  Given that there is no lecy at that location either a generator could also have been in use.  

Only time will tell but linking this event to the murder and suicide near Salhouse does seem rather unnecessary in my opinion. 

• Like 1

We mustn't forget there is a family out there who are having to deal with the tragedy of losing their loved ones, all I ask is that we take that into account whilst we speculate, which, to be honest, is only natural, we are human after all.

To bring up the deaths at Salhouse is disgusting, just fanning the flames of speculation, in my opinion

My heart goes out to the family and friends they have left behind

Grace

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Just been on the EDP24 (sorry I don't know how to link it) and they show a photo of the boat, taken from a distance. Obviously not a hire boat, more like an offshore craft.

I'd agree with Vaughan, definitely not a boat from a Broads hire fleet. The radar arch has a marine VHF aerial on it.

I'd also agree that respect for the family is paramount at a time like this.

Linking the tragedy with anything else or criticizing emergency services  procedures could add to their grief.

The only respectful public comments that can be made at this moment are tactful reminders about CO alarms that may help prevent future similar tragedies.

14 minutes ago, Gracie said:

We mustn't forget there is a family out there who are having to deal with the tragedy of losing their loved ones, all I ask is that we take that into account whilst we speculate, which, to be honest, is only natural, we are human after all.

To bring up the deaths at Salhouse is disgusting, just fanning the flames of speculation, in my opinion

My heart goes out to the family and friends they have left behind

Grace

I can only echo Graces words................ Off to hospital for an xray then off to Bound 2 Please for the weekend..........

Charlie

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Now who's speculating? That Daily Mail article is disgraceful journalism. Do they ever proof-read these things? This is not even O level English.

Neither of their photos is a "20ft" boat.

Why do they immediately link it to another crime, which happens to have been on the same river, near Salhouse?

I understand people's thoughts about CO. It sprang to my mind as well, as I have had the misfortune to discover the victims on one occasion, back in the 60s.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest this at this stage. We don't even know how long the boat had been moored there. No doubt tomorrow will bring more details.

That's 'The Daily Fail' for you! Not even fit for the lavatory !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Whilst having sympathy to the victims and their families, I note in the EDP report SEVEN fire engines were called to the scene that does seem a bit excessive...

What an odd thing to pick up on... First of all they're going to deploy NFRS boat teams. Then given the location I would imagine USAR teams were also sent, plus appliances to back these guys up - so no, not excessive.

thoughts go out to all those involved, such a tragic event in such a beautiful place...

• Like 2