Why Do They Do It?

JennyMorgan

when I hired a while back, the boat behind us did the same, they like us had only just taken over the boat, had finished their trial run, and were just heading up river, we were struggling to figure out the steering and go in a straight line there was a dead spot about 1/8 turn then suddenly it seemed as though you had full lock. the people behind were performing similar manouvers, then suddenly they performed a neat 90 degree turn, straight into the reeds just like that, speed about 4mph.

Thankfully I've never done it , but I have been scarily close on a couple of occasions. Cruising along with your broads head on , something distracts you and suddenly the bank is heading your way. Luckily I have spotted it in time to put on the brakes and avoid the embarrassment, but we are all human and capable of making mistakes. Anytime I see some poor soul in that position , I just thank my stars it ain't me!!,

• Like 6

We saw something similar last week at one end of the bottom set of moorings down Fleet Dyke near the Broad. We couldn't make our minds up whether someone had tried to wild moor the boat there or run into the reeds accidentally. Couldn't see anyone on board either. 

7 hours ago, donnygeoff said:

just to add,

After they had crashed into the reeds, they decided to take down the sails and travel the rest of their journey under power.

It is safer for everyone that way.........

:Stinky

Just how our Grace likes them flappy boats,  under power not under their flappy things......

Charlie

• Like 2

Some years ago when on rescue boat duties at Horning, I came across a hire cruiser bouncing it's way down the reeds, From the Dydlers mill end. I went across to say they didn't need to keep that far to the right to avoid our sailing and they said their steering had failed, they couldn't get a phone signal so had decided to bounce their way down the reeds further to see if they could! (the boat kept turning right).

Anyway after towing them (providing some steering) and tying them up to one of our mooring posts at the end of the first straight from the club (couldn't go any further, there was a vast hoard of Sailing boats heading towards us.), I radio'd the club and they phoned the boat yard.

9 hours ago, donnygeoff said:

just to add,

After they had crashed into the reeds, they decided to take down the sails and travel the rest of their journey under power.

It is safer for everyone that way.........

:Stinky

I was once nose into the reeds ,lying head to wind hoisting sail in the time honoured fashion when I was offered a 'tow off the bank'. 

"Throw me a line, soon have you off there".

" I'm OK thank you, I'll be away as soon as I've got the sails up"

" Sure you're not stuck? " replied The Broads Authority River Inspector !!!

Yes, one of those people employed to offer help and advice on navigation and boating issues.... :facepalm:

Not that they're all like that ......

• Like 2

On the other hand on another rescue boat duty, on a down river race to Thurne, I came across a Hustler from Hunters yard, nose stuffed into the mud on the lee bank ( just After the hard banking was removed).

They were struggling to quant off (and still had the main up) they did accept a tow off... 

39 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I was once nose into the reeds ,lying head to wind hoisting sail in the time honoured fashion when I was offered a 'tow off the bank'. 

"Throw me a line, soon have you off there".

" I'm OK thank you, I'll be away as soon as I've got the sails up"

" Sure you're not stuck? " replied The Broads Authority River Inspector !!!

Yes, one of those people employed to offer help and advice on navigation and boating issues.... :facepalm:

Not that they're all like that ......

Mind you better for him to ask, than be critised for cruising past a boat in distress.

Maybe in reality he could smell the bacon lol

I guess it's the same with us, we have a cruiser with an outboard, and sometimes a few engine checks, requires us to remove the hood, and within 10 minutes we have been asked several times from fellow moored or passing boaters, do we need a hand ?

No, thanks all the same, just routine maintenance , this time lol.

Another time I swapped over the charging coil from a 6 amp to a 10 amp coil at St Bennets abby, flywheel off, bits everywhere, then another time we had moored stern on to a low bank, with the engine suspended from a make shift boom with an "A" frame, what better way to change the gear oil, fit a new anode, and swap over the prop, and give a good lower leg scrub.

Mind you had something gone pear shaped, we may have been glad of some help.

The things people do.

• Like 2