Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

I may have said this previously, but while it was a nice idea originally to have the electric posts at various locations, and originally was to be a network of 'charging posts'.  Good idea poorly managed.  I say that because nobody seemed to take account of the fact that many many privately owned boats at the time (and perhaps the odd hire boat too) had shore power connections.  The leads being identical to the new 'charging posts' being installed.

You did not need to be too clever to figure out anyone could use the new posts and get the top up cards for them.

If it was a real initiative and push to encourage electric boating, there should have been closer consideration given to the use of the posts and their locations and to have a 'standard' on the Broads that builders of boats followed along with the post manufacturers and equipped both electric post and boat with a connector different to standard marina used shore power cables. Only electric boats could use the posts and the idea of electric boating may have flourished a little more than it did.

My other gripe is what people who use the posts seem to use them for - it has become almost automatic that you arrive, there is a free post, you plug in yet the boats equipment simply does not need this shore connection leave aside the cost of the electric.

I'd understand it if it was a case in winter with additional heating, or perhaps for cooking but to watch some telly and charge some devices on the boat up really surprises me.

• Like 3

Mention has been made of demasting areas and that they are only of use to sailing boats. Well, let me remind you all of the demasting area between the Gt Yarmouth bridges on Breydon. Being in between two bridges it is of positively no use whatsoever as a demasting pontoon for sailing boats, it is purely and simply there for high air draft motor boats to moor against whilst waiting for the tide to drop. Arguably a waste of dosh, all it requires is boat owners to read their tide tables but hey-ho, us sailing boat owners happily pay up! On top of that is the floating jetty at Somerleyton, once again provided primarily for motor boats as the darn thing is really in the way for sailing boats who would normally head up into the reeds! All us sailing boats really like is a post to hang onto, we really don't need yards of expensive, floating jetties, that's a motor boat thing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paladin said:

Perhaps de-masting moorings should be entirely paid for by those who choose to use them, particularly as the majority of boats are actually prohibited from using them  :naughty:

However, provision for dismasting has been needed since boating (with wherries and keels) began.......

• Like 1

Just now, LondonRascal said:

I may have said this previously, but while it was a nice idea originally to have the electric posts at various locations, and originally was to be a network of 'charging posts'.  Good idea poorly managed.  I say that because nobody seemed to take account of the fact that many many privately owned boats at the time (and perhaps the odd hire boat too) had shore power connections.  The leads being identical to the new 'charging posts' being installed.

You did not need to be too clever to figure out anyone could use the new posts and get the top up cards for them.

If it was a real initiative and push to encourage electric boating, there should have been closer consideration given to the use of the posts and their locations and to have a 'standard' on the Broads that builders of boats followed along with the post manufacturers and equipped both electric post and boat with a connector different to standard marina used shore power cables. Only electric boats could use the posts and the idea of electric boating may have flourished a little more than it did.

My other gripe is what people who use the posts seem to use them for - it has become almost automatic that you arrive, there is a free post, you plug in yet the boats equipment simply does not need this shore connection leave aside the cost of the electric.

I'd understand it if it was a case in winter with additional heating, or perhaps for cooking but to watch some telly and charge some devices on the boat up really surprises me.

Robin you put into words far better what I said,  than I did earlier in this thread.

Charlie

• Like 2

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Mention has been made of demasting areas and that they are only of use to sailing boats. Well, let me remind you all of the demasting area between the Gt Yarmouth bridges on Breydon. Being in between two bridges it is of positively no use whatsoever as a demasting pontoon for sailing boats, it is purely and simply there for high air draft motor boats to moor against whilst waiting for the tide to drop. Arguably a waste of dosh, all it requires is boat owners to read their tide tables but hey-ho, us sailing boat owners happily pay up! On top of that is the floating jetty at Somerleyton, once again provided primarily for motor boats as the darn thing is really in the way for sailing boats who would normally head up into the reeds! All us sailing boats really like is a post to hang onto, we really don't need yards of expensive, floating jetties, that's a motor boat thing.

Peter, I agree with much of what you say, but weren't the pontoons at Reedham and Somerleyton financed by network Rail?

Just now, kfurbank said:

Peter, I agree with much of what you say, but weren't the pontoons at Reedham and Somerleyton financed by network Rail?

They were indeed but nevertheless cleaning and maintenance is apparently down to the Authority. Why I mentioned it is because it was being touted as a reason that the general toll payer should subsidise the supply of electricity. Well, if demasting areas were exclusive to sailing boats then maybe, just maybe, there is some meat on the bone of that argument. However, more than once I have had to get quite arsey with motor boat owners moored at demasting areas, Beccles & Potter for example. They are used and appreciated by both disciplines. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Why should it surprise you that not everyone's agenda is the same as yours? We always plug in if there is the opportunity to do so I'm always mindful of the power used by the fridge on a hot day, and prefer not to have to worry about draining our batteries  if I can avoid it.  In days gone by we had a 3 way fridge, 12v while cruising gas when moored , mains when on the marina. I preferred this system but boat safety testing now precludes this option. The only reason we plug is because of the fridge. If electric posts means not having to endure the noise and smelly fumes from  a generator then good !

Carole

• Like 7

Just now, addicted said:

Why should it surprise you that not everyone's agenda is the same as yours? We always plug in if there is the opportunity to do so I'm always mindful of the power used by the fridge on a hot day, and prefer not to have to worry about draining our batteries  if I can avoid it.  In days gone by we had a 3 way fridge, 12v while cruising gas when moored , mains when on the marina. I preferred this system but boat safety testing now precludes this option. The only reason we plug is because of the fridge. If electric posts means not having to endure the noise and smelly fumes from  a generator then good !

Carole

Careful Carole or Peter will be telling you how the saily's don't have fridges and drag their tins along behind them in the water to keep them cold. Mind you with some of the discussions taking place in another place about sea toilets and their use on The Broads, I think I'd stick to the fridge :shocked cheersbar Anyway how else do you make ice for the cheers

• Like 4

I thought the pontoons before the railway bridges were layby moorings for all boats.

I think this mindset encountered by the differing groups using the broads is getting very old.  

Im a sailing boat and dont want to pay for anything that a motorboat can use is just not the right or a helpful atittude In my opinion.

The way I see it is the pontoons are there by the railway bridges to improve safety for all river users and aswel as that can you be certain there are no sailing vessels on the broads that use shorepower! 

• Like 3

Last evening both ourselves and Neil (speedtriple) were moored at Loddon, it was our first time to try out the new posts, I had used the card, each meter has a card reader about it. 

I showed Neil how to use the card on socket number 2 I showed him the credit had been credited on his meter.

Now for the flaw in the design of the posts, I let the card slip and it fell through a gap in front of all the meters and readers to disappear into the base of the post. Could this be the way the Broads Authority have sorted out the recycling of the cards:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Absolutely right I very much dislike the "them and us" attitude that seems to be the wayof so many sailies . I know (before anyone tells me) that not all think that way but enough of them do to make it noticeable. We all have different preferences, mine is a comfortable cruiser, with as many mod cons as possible to make it's use as user friendly as possible I' m too long in the tooth to rough it and see no merit in doing so. During the Summer we

spend more time on the boat than at home , retirement permits that. Would I be able to do that if we owned  a rag and stick, well no! Have I ever had the slightest inclination to

own such  a craft? Again no but I appreciate that many  absolutely love that type of craft , I just wish that so many of them would not try to promote the notion that that type of boating is in some way superior!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Last evening both ourselves and Neil (speedtriple) were moored at Loddon, it was our first time to try out the new posts, I had used the card, each meter has a card reader about it. 

I showed Neil how to use the card on socket number 2 I showed him the credit had been credited on his meter.

Now for the flaw in the design of the posts, I let the card slip and it fell through a gap in front of all the meters and readers to disappear into the base of the post. Could this be the way the Broads Authority have sorted out the recycling of the cards:naughty:

Regards

Alan

Funny the same thing happened to us at Stokesby today!  Card disappeared down into the depths.  Still at least it gave us it's £1 before it vanished.

Sue

• Like 1

If I was going to add my twopennyworth to this thread, it would read exactly the same as Carole's last post! Well said lass. :clap

Don't bother trying to get any cards from the BA in Wroxham/Hoveton, they don't have any and have no idea when they will have. A poor state of affairs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

That pontoon was never intended as a de-masting mooring. From the Feb 2014 Broad Sheet:

"A 20m long pontoon has been installed between Breydon Bridge and Bure Mouth to provide a 2 hour berth for boats waiting for the right tidal conditions to pass under the Great Yarmouth bridges.
On Breydon Water new dolphins have been constructed on both sides of the channel upstream of the bridge to enable sailing boats to drop their sails and masts.
Two new de-masting dolphins have also been installed between Bure Mouth and Vauxhall Bridge, while a hazardous dolphin opposite Great Yarmouth Yacht Station has been removed."

• Like 2

I am afraid this is now showing how insular we are becoming, although the BA have largely given up on electric boats they are expanding the network of Electric points that must say something.

As for paying for something the majority don't use Mutford lock springs to mind, in everyday life a large percentage of my council tax goes on services I don't use, my income tax on things I don't want, I pay the same in the sewage content of my water rates as families three times or more larger than mine, I pay a road fund licence fee and insurance that cyclists don't, where do we stop drawing lines, in a civilised society that's how things work Swings and roundabouts probably cover it as well as any other outlook, we all contribute to the overall pot some more than others and in general the boats with hook ups are mostly the ones who pay the highest tolls its our choice which facilities we use and the ones we don't.

Fred

• Like 7

Personally I think to an extent the period of diplomatic patience towards sailing vessels on the broads needs to come to an end.

Every sailor powered by oars, engines wind the will of god or otherwise ought to be responsible for keeping out of the others way.

It might have worked in years gone by but it doesnt anymore and is responsible for the petulant displays many of us have experienced!! 

I will get my coat...........:dance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

can you be certain there are no sailing vessels on the broads that use shorepower! 

Proably.  I've a small electric motor on my sailing boat, to help me get in and out of a marina type mooring when I'm solo, and paddling and steering simultaneously is awkward.  Never been able to use the electricity posts because of all the monstrous great stinkies plugged into them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, addicted said:

I just wish that so many of them would not try to promote the notion that that type of boating is in some way superior!

Agreed CarolE but they are not Superior in any way shape or form, and neither are motor boats, in fact all boats share the same water so are equal in that fact.

Electric posts are a new fangled thing of the last few years, that in my opinion take away what boating is all about. The original idea as charging stations for electric powered craft is what they should have been left as. When we first hired the boat we had used gas lamps for lighting.  Before you all say it I was born in the 20th century.

Charlie

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paladin said:

That pontoon was never intended as a de-masting mooring. From the Feb 2014 Broad Sheet:

"A 20m long pontoon has been installed between Breydon Bridge and Bure Mouth to provide a 2 hour berth for boats waiting for the right tidal conditions to pass under the Great Yarmouth bridges.
On Breydon Water new dolphins have been constructed on both sides of the channel upstream of the bridge to enable sailing boats to drop their sails and masts.
Two new de-masting dolphins have also been installed between Bure Mouth and Vauxhall Bridge, while a hazardous dolphin opposite Great Yarmouth Yacht Station has been removed."

No, it wasn't but with a little bit of forethought it could have been useful to both user groups thus giving greater value to the toll payer. Effectively though why is it that sailing boats can hang onto a single dolphin and wait for the tide yet a motor boat requires to moor alongside? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Personally I think to an extent the period of diplomatic patience towards sailing vessels on the broads needs to come to an end.

Every sailor powered by oars, engines wind the will of god or otherwise ought to be responsible for keeping out of the others way.

It might have worked in years gone by but it doesnt anymore and is responsible for the petulant displays many of us have experienced!! 

I will get my coat...........:dance

I've come across some mightily petulant motor boat owners in my time! On one occasion it was a spectacular display of teddy bear throwing just because of a very minor deviation of course in one case, the plonker! There is 'unreasonable' in both camps.  

Are sailing boats better? We like to think so, if only to wind MAFI's up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No, it wasn't but with a little bit of forethought it could have been useful to both user groups thus giving greater value to the toll payer. Effectively though why is it that sailing boats can hang onto a single dolphin and wait for the tide yet a motor boat requires to moor alongside? 

The dolphins are supposed to be for de-masting, not waiting for the tide. Many a time have I seen sailing boats alongside the pontoon,