Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

1 hour ago, Viking23 said:

Any one boat can easily overload a 16 amp socket, 3kW fan heater, 13 amps, a kettle, 10 amps, a toaster, 10-13 amps, any two out of three of those connected at the same time will do it.

So the posts are equiped with a circuit breaker so at currents over say 16 amps, the breaker will trip and will require someone going to the post to reset it. So the posts cannot be overloaded.

The post will not know if three boats are daisy chained to the post or just one, it will monitor the total current and if 16 amps is exceeded, then the circuit breaker will trip. 

So where is the danger here?

I can see a danger when using the blue 16 amp plug/sockets when the orientation cannot be guaranteed, through adaptors or extension leads and it is possible for rain water to enter the terminals of the connector and cause a short circuit or at least an earth leakage current causing the Rcd to trip. These connectors are not waterproof.

Hey I'm only reiterating BA's stance and I have a splitter also but get caught using on by BA and they get very upset hence the posts have one boat one socket written on them well most of them , incidentally elsewhere I have seen a socket and plug wielded together via an overload on a post that had just been PAC tested , the cause a kettle and an iron at the same time .

42 minutes ago, NonTecky said:

Very similar approach to usage as myself. One question to which I do not know the answer which folk on here may know....

The grumpy chap at the shop at Ranworth strongly advised me that "whatever you do dont unplug your lead then plug it back in again as it will zero the meter". I was tempted to try this just to see, but didnt for obvious reasons! So if this is true (which my head tells me it cant be!) then be kind and offering to share becomes costly. Do we know if the 'unplug and your moneys gone' is true?

Hi I unplugged at Stokesby yesterday to sort out our cable and didn't lose anything.

Regarding tripping out the posts

Just a little commonsense.

Years ago on many caravan sites we only had a 5a supply.  Soon got used to only having one leccy item on at a time and buying lower wattage kettles/toasters. 

We bring our own 1kW kettle with us.  It will also run off our 2kW inverter.

Sue

• Like 2

Just been to Yare house to swop our out of date cards for new ones Guess what? They've run out! They're sending to me here at the marina The cxhap I saw said they had had 5000 go in a couple of weeks. I told him in no uncertain terms that it was gross inefficiency and enquired of him"" haven't you upset boaters enough "?

He agreed, although in truth it's not his fault I was shooting the messenger somewhat.

Carole

Carole, you are not the only person to have discovered the shortage, I have a very indignant near neighbour in the same boat and who is off on his boat at the end of the week! This really isn't the first example of how out of touch the management is. Surely they have some idea of just how many cards were used last year. How many boats plug in, a thousand perhaps? Each buying five cards, hardly rocket science.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dnks34 said:

In the same spirit Alan Id have no problem with a sailing boat tieing up alongside me to demast.

We are such and friendly and tolerant bunch I really dont understand what all the squabling is about!!!

Were all so tolerant - and friendly ! Many do, which ma be why they have the errors of their ways pointed out when on a demasting spot.

3 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Hey I'm only reiterating BA's stance and I have a splitter also but get caught using on by BA and they get very upset hence the posts have one boat one socket written on them well most of them , incidentally elsewhere I have seen a socket and plug wielded together via an overload on a post that had just been PAC tested , the cause a kettle and an iron at the same time .

Iron? IRON - ON HOLIDAY ????  Three weeks in a caravan requires no iron . If I were to suggest otherwise to Mrs Poppy I would have a big headache - and an egg sized bump!  Some people :facepalm:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Carole, you are not the only person to have discovered the shortage, I have a very indignant near neighbour in the same boat and who is off on his boat at the end of the week! This really isn't the first example of how out of touch the management is. Surely they have some idea of just how many cards were used last year. How many boats plug in, a thousand perhaps? Each buying five cards, hardly rocket science.

The chap I saw at Yare house today seemed to  think the cards would be there tomorrow if that's any help to your neighbour.

Carole

Couldn't be doing with all the messing and thinking are we going to get electric hook up life is stress full enough.

We have a decent inverter/charger 2500 mastervolt, 1 kw kettle,  3 batteries

never had the use shorepower in 6 years apart from home mooring to keep batteries topped up.

John

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Iron? IRON - ON HOLIDAY ????  Three weeks in a caravan requires no iron . If I were to suggest otherwise to Mrs Poppy I would have a big headache - and an egg sized bump!  Some people :facepalm:

No sorry for the confusion it was the boat next to me in a marina , n yea irons are not required on a boat ever :)

I just wonder how many of those 5000 cards went as swaps for the old cards, if we think each user may have had 2 or 3 old cards , then its no stretch to see 5000 disappearing in short shrift, especially if they then swapped their old cards and bought a few spare new ones as well.

Peter, please look away now and read no further :naughty:

So it looks like we should expect to see a line item in the Navigation Budget for around £22k net for the upgrade work completed up to the 5th April. As expected the cost of this project is borne by all toll payers. Given I have used 5 cards in the last three years, from a purely selfish point of view I can see far better ways of spending that money, however we all have to accept that we don't all use all the facilities provided from the navigation budget.

Would still be interested to know what criteria is used to decide what is worthy of expenditure from the toll account when it is a project that not all toll payers will use. 

• Like 2

The Island hookup is restricted to 10 A per boat. Immersion and kettle is a no no. Great in the winter if you forget and have to reset the breaker in your jimjams.

We can generally manage several days without power and have had too in the past with cable failure feeding the island. 

Our fridge will run for over a week on our batteries(I forgot it one time) so careful use of lights etc and several days can be had before the engine needs to be started, I'm told these old BMCs don't like being run without a load. Hour and half pootle up or down river seems to put a good bit back in the batts so no extended running of engines at moorings.

Now, back to these cards. Ruth and I are hoping to get Lady Linda, x738, under the bridge here at Thorpe on Saturday, and are travelling all the way, hopefully, to Whitlingham 24moorings. WHY, my family are camping, mad fools, at Whitlingham and we want to take them out on the boat on Sunday, so hope to get moored there.

What has this got to do with electric, simple. I have 16 of these new cards and anyone willing to embark or disembark my family from the moorings there I'm willing to pass on a few at cost( not all mind you). So if you see us and you are desperate I will gladly part with 1 or 2 IF you are in need.

happy boating

Colincheers

Grendal, my cards were replacements from 20 I bought over 3 years ago, only used 4 in that time. It would have been better to provide 5 and credit the balance but that would mean giving money back:facepalm:

anyone going to the open day? Don't mention electric cards:naughty:

As there are clearly people who cant see why its nice to have a bit of leccy in the cooler months of boating and have a gripe about it coming out of their tolls too even though they don't use the posts then why cant I pay a reduced toll because I cant get under Potter or Wroxham bridges so missing out on a substantial area of boating. It's just how it is  and I  am not here moaning that I want a lesser toll because of that.

• Like 1

Kfurbank

Not that hard to get.

http://www.jwsmartmeters.co.uk/Ampy 5188A

About the same price too.

i think the problem is they lack security. We use this type of meter on the island for the laundry room and the cards are readily available on eBay of pence. I think the old system has been abused by a few. Any non BA card is a total loss to the BA. I understand the change but I don't like being overcharged for anything.

Colin

55 minutes ago, kfurbank said:

Peter, please look away now and read no further :naughty:

Given I have used 5 cards in the last three years, from a purely selfish point of view I can see far better ways of spending that money, however we all have to accept that we don't all use all the facilities provided from the navigation budget.

Would still be interested to know what criteria is used to decide what is worthy of expenditure from the toll account when it is a project that not all toll payers will use. 

Thank you for that Keith, I shall be having words with a suitable recipient. As I have written there is absolutely no requirement within the Broads Bill for this sort of expenditure. I'll let you know of any feedback.

36 minutes ago, Islander said:

Kfurbank

Not that hard to get.

http://www.jwsmartmeters.co.uk/Ampy 5188A

About the same price too.

i think the problem is they lack security. We use this type of meter on the island for the laundry room and the cards are readily available on eBay of pence. I think the old system has been abused by a few. Any non BA card is a total loss to the BA. I understand the change but I don't like being overcharged for anything.

Colin

Colin, You know that, and I know that, but I am quoting from a FOI request and therefore you have to draw your own conclusions on why we could buy replacements, yet The BA are having trouble sourcing spares. You might think though, if there was another reason, they might have disclosed it under a FOI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat nee blownup said:

As there are clearly people who cant see why its nice to have a bit of leccy in the cooler months of boating and have a gripe about it coming out of their tolls too even though they don't use the posts then why cant I pay a reduced toll because I cant get under Potter or Wroxham bridges so missing out on a substantial area of boating. It's just how it is  and I  am not here moaning that I want a lesser toll because of that.

Snap!

Carole

I would be careful that BA don't catch you using a splitter ranger's faces have been known to turn a funny shade of red if they spot one,

Well I wonder how said Ranger would get on with this scenario.

One year we were berthed stern on at Hoveton plugged into shore power, it was winter-ish time, dark fairly early and not too warm. I was using shore power as we were showering and the immersion heater was doing it's thing.  There was a yacht alongside us that had no heating on it.  I did not have the splitter then and even if I had of done, only 1 x shore power cable and the yacht didn't have one either.

Solution - Immersion heater off, out with the 240v extension lead plugged into a 240v socket onboard 'B.A' then over to the yacht where I leant them a fan heater.  This way they were able to get the saloon / cabin warmed up to be more comfortable.  Job was a gud-un

Griff

• Like 5