Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

We called into the Broads Authority office in Wroxham this afternoon to trade in 12 old electric cards left on the boat, the lady there had none to swap and said that they were still waiting for cards coming into stock at their head office, she did however say that she would make a note of my address and send me replacements. She knew about cards being lost in the gap in front of the readers and meters.

Tingdene Marina reception have a supply of cards and I have been told that Brooms have some.

Regards

Alan 

what doesn't help is the new cards don't last anywhere near as long. We're on Lightning as we speak, and had yet another card run out very early this morning. But this time, we're not using an oil rad at all, and the fan heater only for short time, or on one bar, yet the cards are only lasting half as long at best. Still having a great week though, and meeting up with some of the forumites.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I make the cost per unit increase 40%.

what makes me laugh (and I am no different) is that we all spend a great deal of money on boats but begrudge leaving 10p on the metre for the next boat!

As we are all the "next boat" when we plug in and get that remaining 10p ourselves , does it make a lot of difference?  unless of course someone goes around using up the residual 10p and then moving on . But if you have to do that perhaps better not to be boating at all ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I make the cost per unit increase 40%.

what makes me laugh (and I am no different) is that we all spend a great deal of money on boats but begrudge leaving 10p on the metre for the next boat!

in all honesty Matt, I think it's a lot more than that. As I said, we're using a lot less electric, but paying double for it. It's almost 3 - 4 times the price, or so it seems. Maybe it's time for the BA to be made publically accountable?.

• Like 1

Just now, diesel falcon said:

Saw a woeman once with a fan heater running on the quay, in summer........................

Probably turns the gas off when she turns the bacon over too, and switches off the windscreen wipers when she drives under bridges when it's raining too. lol...

We rarely need more than 50p overnight, so to top up £1 seems overkill, but to be fair, it's swings and roundabouts, and I would say overall we have spent less on electric than we have used. 

Well now we are no longer on the Broads, we have electric hook up at our Marina that we pay 15p a unit, no minimum charge, no connection fee or standing charges. We use what we want, when we want and don't worry about it.

As we are on BT, one of the houses nearby also has BT, so we can pick up free, well inclusive, WiFi so we are home from home at the mooring. We also have an excellent digital tv signal too. 

We use the electric for...

Dehumidifier

Fan Heater

Kettle

Vacuum cleaner

Tools etc

Maybe a toaster for the future. not used any gas for a long time.

37 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

in all honesty Matt, I think it's a lot more than that. As I said, we're using a lot less electric, but paying double for it. It's almost 3 - 4 times the price, or so it seems. Maybe it's time for the BA to be made publically accountable?.

It might be that the previous meters were set to maximum, a maximum that didn't reflect the BA's present requirements.

23 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

Well now we are no longer on the Broads, we have electric hook up at our Marina that we pay 15p a unit, no minimum charge, no connection fee or standing charges. We use what we want, when we want and don't worry about it.

As we are on BT, one of the houses nearby also has BT, so we can pick up free, well inclusive, WiFi so we are home from home at the mooring. We also have an excellent digital tv signal too. 

Dehumidifier

Fan Heater

Kettle

Vacuum cleaner

Tools etc

Thats what happens when you swap your boat for a caravan........:Stinky

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

No it really is 40% increase 

4 hours ago, imtamping2 said:

Thats what happens when you swap your boat for a caravan........:Stinky

Well it's virtually become a caravan, we haven't slept on the boat for nearly  2 years, due to illness, and we are hoping to sleep on it next week, it was close the last couple of days, just too cold, but it will have to be on the mooring, as we need access to the car 24/7 in case I am taken ill 

If we can just crack the first night it might give us confidence to venture a bit further.

Richard

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Probably turns the gas off when she turns the bacon over too, and switches off the windscreen wipers when she drives under bridges when it's raining too. lol...

We rarely need more than 50p overnight, so to top up £1 seems overkill, but to be fair, it's swings and roundabouts, and I would say overall we have spent less on electric than we have used. 

Dehumidifier

Fan Heater

Kettle

Vacuum cleaner

Tools etc

How do you cook then if you use no gas?