Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

31 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

Proably.  I've a small electric motor on my sailing boat, to help me get in and out of a marina type mooring when I'm solo, and paddling and steering simultaneously is awkward.  Never been able to use the electricity posts because of all the monstrous great stinkies plugged into them.

Hi Bobdog,

If you asked me if you could use a post I was on, I would let you share the post. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Talk of de-masting is getting off the point about shore power posts but just to clarify this one, the dolphins, found in pairs at both sides of railway swing bridges were for motor coasters, and sometimes Thames barges, to moor up whilst waiting for the railway signal box to open the bridge. They had nothing to do with the tide. They also had a board marked "bridge will open" which had a space to show the number of minutes delay. This was so that yachts could simply tack up and down the river for 5 or 10 minutes until the red flag came down and the bridge opened.

The present day Breydon bascule bridge was traditionally a railway swing bridge and so there are dolphins, for the same reason. If you want to wait for the tide in a yacht, you can simply lasso one of the marker posts, as I have done countless times. This also enables you to get the mast down.

2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Talk of de-masting is getting off the point about shore power posts but just to clarify this one, the dolphins, found in pairs at both sides of railway swing bridges were for motor coasters, and sometimes Thames barges, to moor up whilst waiting for the railway signal box to open the bridge. They had nothing to do with the tide. They also had a board marked "bridge will open" which had a space to show the number of minutes delay. This was so that yachts could simply tack up and down the river for 5 or 10 minutes until the red flag came down and the bridge opened.

The present day Breydon bascule bridge was traditionally a railway swing bridge and so there are dolphins, for the same reason. If you want to wait for the tide in a yacht, you can simply lasso one of the marker posts, as I have done countless times. This also enables you to get the mast down.

However, motor boats are unable to carry out a similar maneuver :naughty::naughty::hardhat:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

In the same spirit Alan Id have no problem with a sailing boat tieing up alongside me to demast.

We are such and friendly and tolerant bunch I really dont understand what all the squabling is about!!!

It does seem though that when the subject of electricity posts, sailies v stinkies, hirers v privateers, double mooring, Thorpe Island or continual cruisers, tolerance very often takes a step back. There are quite a number of emotive subjects and on the odd occasion a comment is/has been taken very personally. It happens on all forums but I generally think this is one of the better ones. So many opinions and so little time! It is no wonder that it is so easy to say one thing and really mean another and someone has taken offence. 

It does seem to me that those who have no need of, or ridicule the use of, electric posts, are mainly those who live locally and probably have no need of them anyway. Now I may be entirely wrong in this supposition and I'm sure I will be told so in no uncertain terms! :hardhat: Certainly no offence intended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It does seem to me that those who have no need of, or ridicule the use of, electric posts, are mainly those who live locally and probably have no need of them anyway. Now I may be entirely wrong in this supposition and I'm sure I will be told so in no uncertain terms! :hardhat: Certainly no offence intended.

I have regularly cruised for a week at a time, and also have used a touring caravan for ten days or so without redress to mains!  I find it unnecessary and a pleasant alternative way to live. Whilst some may want all 'mod cons' they certainly aren't essential ( with a tiny number of exceptions). Economical use of batteries, switching off all non essential lights , using hot water produced by the engine calorifier and having showers other than first thing in the morning and so on is an alternative and just as comfortable way to live.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Agreed CarolE but they are not Superior in any way shape or form, and neither are motor boats, in fact all boats share the same water so are equal in that fact.

Electric posts are a new fangled thing of the last few years, that in my opinion take away what boating is all about. The original idea as charging stations for electric powered craft is what they should have been left as. When we first hired the boat we had used gas lamps for lighting.  Before you all say it I was born in the 20th century.

Charlie

Just what do you see as boating being all about Charlie? For me it's about being on the water seeing something new  and different every day. That's why the sea holds no appeal whatsoever. As the song goes "I joined the Navy to see the world and what did I see I saw the sea! Having done alittle sailing I spent more time looking at the sail than arfound me!

Carole

• Like 1

Just now, Poppy said:

I have regularly cruised for a week at a time, and also have used a touring caravan for ten days or so without redress to mains!  I find it unnecessary and a pleasant alternative way to live. Whilst some may want all 'mod cons' they certainly aren't essential ( with a tiny number of exceptions). Economical use of batteries, switching off all non essential lights , using hot water produced by the engine calorifier and having showers other than first thing in the morning and so on is an alternative and just as comfortable way to live.

I quite agree with all that and I reckon most boaters certainly do all that, mostly they have to. It appears it is almost impossible to get across why people do choose to use the posts. As the BA have run out of cards (and we are less than a month into the new system!) there must be more boaters who use the posts than we realise. I was a 'latecomer' to the Broads, in 1982 there were no leccy posts so we all had to survive the way you describe. No problem. Over my 35 Broads years there have been many, many changes, some good and some not so good. Times change and we move on, some taking advantage of those changes, others not. (The use of mobile phones does seem to have caught on though!) 

When all is said and done, the reason we are having these discussions remains the same - we love the Broads. (National Park or not! :naughty:)

• Like 2

Just now, addicted said:

Just what do you see as boating being all about Charlie? For me it's about being on the water seeing something new  and different every day. That's why the sea holds no appeal whatsoever. As the song goes "I joined the Navy to see the world and what did I see I saw the sea! Having done alittle sailing I spent more time looking at the sail than arfound me!

Carole

Well CarolE its all about getting away from hustle and bustle of everyday life. Its good to go without TV radio computers interweb  and the likes. Relax have a drink or half dozen chat with like minded peoples, and just watch nature at its finest.

I too have done the sea thing, but in fishing boats, and yes one piece of sea looks like all rest. But the wave patterns do change as do the swells. 

Charlie

• Like 4

My boat isnt new or overly luxurious but it does have the things I think I need for my basic requirements.  

I dont have to have shorepower every night but in the colder months I prefer it to using the diesel heating, its quieter.   I also like hot water by means of an immersion and I like to keep my batteries topped up whenever possible.

I also have an Autistic son who can not manage to well without "devices" so they need charging and theres only so long I can be away from 240v even with the small inverter I have onboard.  

I dont enjoy camping and if the boat was anything like that id rather stay at home, or in a hotel.

• Like 3

Just now, Bound2Please said:

Well CarolE its all about getting away from hustle and bustle of everyday life. Its good to go without TV radio computers interweb  and the likes. Relax have a drink or half dozen chat with like minded peoples, and just watch nature at its finest.

I too have done the sea thing, but in fishing boats, and yes one piece of sea looks like all rest. But the wave patterns do change as do the swells. 

Charlie

Spot on CharliE for me mains is not about t.v., charging gadgets(why?) or anything like that it,s about making sure the fridge is working correctly (don't fancy getting salmonella) and showering in warm water.

CarolE

• Like 3

Just now, addicted said:

Spot on CharliE for me mains is not about t.v., charging gadgets(why?) or anything like that it,s about making sure the fridge is working correctly (don't fancy getting salmonella) and showering in warm water.

CarolE

Must say CarloE even on meets that dont get the engine used for 3 days in summer, never had a battery problem.

CharliE :kiss

47 minutes ago, Poppy said:

However, motor boats are unable to carry out a similar maneuver

But you don't have to! I was talking about waiting five minutes for a swing bridge to open, which does not require mooring up. Unless the pub is open!

Getting back to electric posts, there is a big difference between a charging point for electric boats and a simple shore power point.

The charging of electric powered craft needs a lot more current than a simple 220 volt plug point and most of the ones I have seen provide direct current to the battery bank. The voltage converter is part of the shore installation and these points normally come with a mooring reserved for the purpose.

I shall be interested, during my holiday in May, to have a look at the situation, as I am a strong supporter of the provision of shore power points, so as to solve the problem of running engines on moorings.

• Like 5

'I dont have to have shorepower every night but in the colder months I prefer it to using the diesel heating, its quieter.   I also like hot water by means of an immersion and I like to keep my batteries topped up whenever possible.

I also have an Autistic son who can not manage to well without "devices" so they need charging and theres only so long I can be away from 240v even with the small inverter I have onboard.' 

'Spot on CharliE for me mains is not about t.v., charging gadgets(why?) or anything like that it,s about making sure the fridge is working correctly (don't fancy getting salmonella) and showering in warm water.'

I really don't  see why anyone feels the necessity to justify their use of electric posts. It's a matter of personal choice and is no-one else's business. Up until a couple of years or so ago this forum was entirely free from any us/them debates.  One can only speculate as to why things have changed

• Like 2

I really don't  see why anyone feels the necessity to justify their use of electric posts. It's a matter of personal choice and is no-one else's business.

Like it

But discussion is a good thing, that is what forums like this one are all about.

I use the electric posts regularly but only when I feel I need to or sometimes as and when I want to.  Rarely if ever do we have to use it.   We have a splitter adaptor onboard 'B.A' and we carry it so that if we are plugged into shore power and see a neighbouring boat looking at a post then we can offer to share it.  It is then a simple matter of being sensible with the consumption so as not to over demand the supply - Simples

Griff

• Like 9

I would be careful that BA don't catch you using a splitter ranger's faces have been known to turn a funny shade of red if they spot one , that said if the supply is monitored so both or 3 boats don't use more than what would normally be the maximum for one boat then I recon its safe enough .

Thing is its easy to forget and overload the socket hence BA don't like it .

7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I would be careful that BA don't catch you using a splitter ranger's faces have been known to turn a funny shade of red if they spot one , that said if the supply is monitored so both or 3 boats don't use more than what would normally be the maximum for one boat then I recon its safe enough .

7 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Any one boat can easily overload a 16 amp socket, 3kW fan heater, 13 amps, a kettle, 10 amps, a toaster, 10-13 amps, any two out of three of those connected at the same time will do it.

So the posts are equiped with a circuit breaker so at currents over say 16 amps, the breaker will trip and will require someone going to the post to reset it. So the posts cannot be overloaded.

The post will not know if three boats are daisy chained to the post or just one, it will monitor the total current and if 16 amps is exceeded, then the circuit breaker will trip. 

So where is the danger here?

I can see a danger when using the blue 16 amp plug/sockets when the orientation cannot be guaranteed, through adaptors or extension leads and it is possible for rain water to enter the terminals of the connector and cause a short circuit or at least an earth leakage current causing the Rcd to trip. These connectors are not waterproof.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I really don't  see why anyone feels the necessity to justify their use of electric posts. It's a matter of personal choice and is no-one else's business.

Like it

But discussion is a good thing, that is what forums like this one are all about.

I use the electric posts regularly but only when I feel I need to or sometimes as and when I want to.  Rarely if ever do we have to use it.   We have a splitter adaptor onboard 'B.A' and we carry it so that if we are plugged into shore power and see a neighbouring boat looking at a post then we can offer to share it.  It is then a simple matter of being sensible with the consumption so as not to over demand the supply - Simples

Griff

Very similar approach to usage as myself. One question to which I do not know the answer which folk on here may know....

The grumpy chap at the shop at Ranworth strongly advised me that "whatever you do dont unplug your lead then plug it back in again as it will zero the meter". I was tempted to try this just to see, but didnt for obvious reasons! So if this is true (which my head tells me it cant be!) then be kind and offering to share becomes costly. Do we know if the 'unplug and your moneys gone' is true?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, marshman said:

Vaughan - now you are being naughty!!  Air con req'd in Norfolk??

All you are doing is promoting the holiday trade here now!!

Please notice I used the word European, as these are the standards for coastal marinas.

In America they have 70 amp plugs for the aircon!

I still think 16amps for a shore power supply would not be powerful enough.