Calendar 2018

MauriceMynah

Yes, That's right 2018!

I have some suggestions for the  selection process, and I think some guidance (rather than rules) for 2018s jobbie and I think it best to set them out as soon as possible.

Firstly, I'd recommend that there is NO LIMIT to either the number of pictures any one member submits, and that when the pics are being voted for, the photographer remains anonymous. It doesn't matter if one photographer has several pics voted for, It just means he's good at it !

Secondly I'd suggest a closing date for submissions be established and announced as soon as possible.

Earlier this year, the calendar thread accidently took a slightly sour turn. This was unfortunate but I think that if the ground rules are set out early, everybody will know where they stand and this should prevent any repetition..

What do you all think?

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old calendar where the location & photographer's name is within the image format. To my mind this has spoilt the calendar and also spoils the pictures for any subsequent framing. Yes, I do like to know the details but I really don't want to see them impinge on the images.

Names and locations by all means but please, under the image or on a separate index page.

Re 'seasonal', do we have to emulate the calendars from other forums? We are talking about the NBN calendar, our calendar, our way. A very real problem with seasonal is that we may not have the twelve best images, that in having a snow picture for December we omit a really good summer picture. My feeling is that we go for the twelve best images possible, pictures that show the Broads at their very best. Lets put the twelve best possible pictures into OUR calendar.

• Like 9

Whilst I would like to see the twelve best pictures, irrespective of all other factors, I wonder if limiting the final selection to no more than two images by any one particular photographer might encourage more folk to submit? Bit of a contradiction but maybe worth considering.

• Like 1

I know it's only just January but these are the very reasons we need to start planning next years calendar now and not leave it until the last minute.

Great credit must be given to the team that produced this years exelent edition.

I agree with Peter and prefer to see the pictures unspoiled by captions etc. and also that we use the best pictures, not just emulate what other forums or sites might do.

Remember a lot of us can only get out for a couple of weeks during the season so we are limited with very few getting out in the winter (although it's something I'd love to do one day) So there's the challenge to those of you local and owners who don't winterise there boats, get you're warm coats, hats & fingerless gloves on And get snapping :607_camera: :naughty:

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

Remember a lot of us can only get out for a couple of weeks during the season so we are limited with very few getting out in the winter (although it's something I'd love to do one day) So there's the challenge to those of you local and owners who don't winterise there boats, get you're warm coats, hats & fingerless gloves on And get snapping :607_camera: :naughty:

Winter can be a great time for photography, on the other hand we do get floods and who would want that on a calendar?

PC068245.JPG

• Like 5

JM said "We are talking about the NBN Calendar, our calendar, our way", how very spot on is that. I think the calendar is beautiful, put together at short notice and stunning photo's taken by our friends makes it all the more special for me, what more could you want? Perhaps not having seasonal photos is a refreshing change and like Polly says, there's nothing wrong with a bit of sunshine in January

What about a photo (if anyone has one) of our pesky mod on one of his holidays on a hire boat on the broads he loved so much, maybe the front cover

Sometimes the best laid plans go completely pear shaped but sometimes things put together in haste has a brilliant outcome, just like our 2017 calendar

I gave mine to I'm indoors as a stocking filler, he was over the moon, January is proudly being displayed, little does he know that it's our Dave I think of every time I glance at it (well, guys are not looking at pin ups and thinking of their wives, are they?) :naughty: stunning picture Dave

Grace :broadscot

• Like 7

Quote" Firstly, I'd recommend that there is NO LIMIT to either the number of pictures any one member submits, and that when the pics are being voted for, the photographer remains anonymous. It doesn't matter if one photographer has several pics voted for, It just means he's good at it ! "

Are ladies allowed to enter as well?? :hardhat:

• Like 3