Best Speed App ?

lakesailor

I used to use the DigiHUd available from GooglePlay, but I ditched using apps after I bought my watch and a set of tide timetables with a distance chart.

99942424_v_1423875210.jpg

However, I discovered ages ago that owning a classic, soon to be vintage, boat like Royal Tudor that the old girl goes at the speed she wants to go at no matter what an idiot like me or Uncle Albert decided to do with engine or throttle lever, she automatically slips back to a gentle four miles an hour.

Recent trips on a hire boat I have used the 'MoaningMrs' TM (Pat Pending) app...although it operates under a variety of conditions and is quite accurate...I can't seem to locate the 'off' button.

• Like 6

I recently used A Smart Hud following a recommendation from Robin and it worked very well. I'd like to find one that has a decimal place option (e.g so it shows 4.5 mph, not 5 mph). 

Do you have Android or Apple?
I myself have an Android phone, and use a free GPS speedometer from the play store, this does decemal places for speed, very useful.
Unfortunately I can't attatch a photo, wrong file type, link is here.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ascendapps.aaspeedometer

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

I use cyclemeter as it shows point mph E.g 3.7mph also has a small map which tracks your journey and shows an arrow each time you reach another mile.

Will also show journey data. Max speed, average speed and distance.

P.s it's free on play & app store

Branden

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wildfuzz said:

Wash I think is the most important thing, some boats seem to make a huge wash even when dawdling, other not a ripple, must be hull design......

And waterline length for displacement hulls if you go faster than their theoretical speed they just start pushing a wall of water and using alot of fuel.

The old rule of thumb (imperial) for hull speed was 1.34 x square root of waterline length in feet = hull speed in knots or times it by about 1.4 if you want mph.

So if you have a waterline of 25ft sq = 5 x 1.4 gives an optimum hull speed of 7mph.

But it must be a true displacement vessel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

And waterline length for displacement hulls if you go faster than their theoretical speed they just start pushing a wall of water and using alot of fuel.

The old rule of thumb (imperial) for hull speed was 1.34 x square root of waterline length in feet = hull speed in knots or times it by about 1.4 if you want mph.

So if you have a waterline of 25ft sq = 5 x 1.4 gives an optimum hull speed of 7mph.

But it must be a true displacement vessel.

Took the words right out of my mouth!  :default_icon_clap:

• 5 years later...
On 17/07/2017 at 19:21, lakesailor said:

Thanks for all replies I shall try a few out and decide which I get on with best.

My apologies for resurrecting a six-year-old thread but this is the only one that seemed relevant among the results of a search on here for discussions about a speedometer app suitable for boating.

@lakesailordid you end up with any of the ones suggested or found anything better? Like you I'm looking for one that will display decimal fractions of speed rather than just integer values. I've searched fairly extensively on the web but the Ascend Apps one recommended by Gallipoli is the only one that seems to fit the bill as not having a lot of unnecessary functions and having a display with decimal fractions. There might have been others in the ones I've looked at but none of them explicitly show it.

If anyone else has found anything better I'd be glad to have their suggestions.

Aweigh , is free, and as others have said, a useful app for more than just a speedometer.

Many of the hire boats now come equipped with speed logs , if you’re hiring an older boat then usually there is a plate by the dash giving the approximate speeds at indicated revs which when we hired we found these to be a good indication of the true speed .

If you just keep to a slow walking pace on smaller rivers and a brisk stroll pace on larger rivers you won’t be far wrong .