Ooooops...... Why Try It ....

ScrumpyCheddar

This was taken at St Olaves yesterday......

Why do people think they can squeeze and 8ft 6. High boat..... under and 8ft bridge.... why do it...

1. Inside the boat it clearly gives the boat height with the tv aerial up and down... 

2. There's height indicators by the bridge...

3. Was they born stupid...

4. Damage to the boat... but who cares not my boat attitude...I will tell them when I get back if I remember...

5. Should be removed and taken off the river...

Makes me angry this does.... total stupidity... Grrrrrrr...

imageproxy_LI.jpg

• Sad 1

I understand your frustration Scrumpy. Whilst it's true to say St Olaves is a tricky spot for the inexperienced in terms of tidal flow, I can think of no excuse for these people. It's not as if the bridge gauge would over-estimate the clearance available (probably the reverse) so what were they thinking about.

I'm not a legal expert but I suspect Brooms could sue for negligence. In practice they probably wouldn't think it worth the time and cost to do so. 

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I understand your frustration Scrumpy. Whilst it's true to say St Olaves is a tricky spot for the inexperienced in terms of tidal flow, I can think of no excuse for these people. It's not as if the bridge gauge would over-estimate the clearance available (probably the reverse) so what were they thinking about.

I'm not a legal expert but I suspect Brooms could sue for negligence. In practice they probably wouldn't think it worth the time and cost to do so. 

Almost certainly one of the incresing number of the " that doesn't apply to me" brigade! 

Do Brooms charge a deposit?

• Like 1

It's a glass sun roof to.... they use to open fully up... but brooms locked them because people was hitting and smashing them out...£6000 a time .... 

Just hope there's not much damaged done... total stupidity...  Those boats you can control on a sixpence in fast currants to and the bow thrusters are brilliant ..

It's all in the price poppy...

• Like 1

I can think of one excuse for this happening,

Approaching the bridge with the tide to find you dont have enough clearance then as you make your turn to come away the engine fails and the current takes you under the bridge. 

Probably not what happened here but it could!! 

Are Brooms on the damage waiver wagon with all the others? 

I think an actual cash or card deposit may make people be that little bit more careful but as most wont want the added stress of the responsibility of looking after someone else's asset I imagine cash deposits cost the yards bookings.....who knows!

• Like 1

Just now, Hockham Admiral said:

When we hired in Holland a few years ago they insisted on a 500 Euro deposit which you forfeited if you so much as even scratched their boat............... Draconian, possibly, but fellow hirers (all Dutch) took good care of the boats!    :default_blush:

LONG overdue here!

• Thanks 1

Looks well stuck, hope the tide was falling.

re turning on a sixpence it's not that easy around St Olaves / reedham  areas if the tide is behind you  can't leave it too near to turn around or you will easy get swept sideways  ( I have the same boat with large single engine ) 

had to put plenty power on on Thurs to turn around (well before bridge at Reedham ) I knew it was fine  and in plenty time but when the strong current pushes you sideways it gets the grip a bit tighter on the wheel !

if experience is limited this can easy happen when panick sets in.

John

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Why has the guys face been blanked in the image?  If he didnt want folk taking pictures of him he could have jumped in!

Because our Guidelines specifically say so, Danial.

"The NBN does not subscribe to 'naming and shaming'.  i.e. pictures or descriptions of accidents where either the boats or people are recognisable.

Details and photos of what a crew are wrongly doing or particular issues with a yard should not be reported here.  Reports to the concerned authorities are more appropriate".

Going by the shadow from the post in the pub garden and allowing for BST plus the surface of the water. I guess about 1:30 pm. That would be the remains of the flood tide so if engine had failed they would have drifted away from the bridge.

Fail.

Colin:default_drinks:

p.s. I have a little stick on my pulpit set to our clearance. Simple.

p.s.2 Sorry John, the fail was aimed at the Broom helm:default_blush:

Reliably informed earlier from my mate who moors at Johnsons who saw it all  that it was on a rising tide and it took 15 volunteers to board the craft to push it down in the water and free it from the bridge- appparently didn't do the roof a lot of good

Boycee

:default_smiley-char054:

• Sad 2

There doesn't seem to me that there is any requirement for experience any more.

I remember looking at hire brochures from years ago with the requirements of certain boats only being hired to experience crews. Yet I, like many of you I'm sure, have seen too many of these boats, stuck under or against bridges, as happened yesterday at Potter Heigham, or high and dry on approach Breydon Water; it seem that any numpty can have a go, regardless of the cost of the boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently its not PC to shoot stupid people !

Probably a good thing really, I would have been put down years ago.

Still I can read a tape measure and have a basic fear of trying to get something very expensive (wether it belongs to me or not) beneath a space ,I am not entirely sure it will go, so probably not as stupid as some, so is it stupid to shoot stupid people ?

Sorry, stupid idea.

And how many road bridges get hit a day by HGV's?

At least five HGV's a day get turned around at the Dartford tunnels for being too high.

I've seen boats trying to moor the wrong way against tide and wind and a whole host of mistakes can and do happen.

Don't forget folks experience can only be gained by actually doing and failing.

I tend to agree that maybe he was swept onto the bridge and novice captains sometimes don't get the strength of tides.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

And how many road bridges get hit a day by HGV's?

At least five HGV's a day get turned around at the Dartford tunnels for being too high.

I've seen boats trying to moor the wrong way against tide and wind and a whole host of mistakes can and do happen.

Don't forget folks experience can only be gained by actually doing and failing.

I tend to agree that maybe he was swept onto the bridge and novice captains sometimes don't get the strength of tides.

Which  is why it's imperative to have a 'plan B' if things go wrong.  However I doubt that this helm even had a 'plan A'.......

it is very easy to criticise, but how many of us read the bridge heights before we drive under them, I have owned a 10 foot high vehicle, and had a few close calls through forgetting, I have seen a car with a pushbike on the roof go through a car park entrance with height barrier, (the bike was wrecked as was the rear screen it was forced through). if you arent thinking about it, you just drive up to a bridge assuming you will fit.

yes, I know you are warned, I know the height is printed on the dash board, but if you are relaxing - on holiday, and dont happen to see the height marker, these things will happen - it could have been any of us.

So this is why we dont name and shame here - because one day it might be you, and you will be embarrassed enough as it is without us piling it on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well said Grendel. 

Please also don't forget about the number of times that people write holiday tales or upload videos stating how close their airdraft is to the stated bridge height but they go for it anyway while disputing the accuracy of the measurements both on the boat and on the gauge.

• Like 1