A Friendly Forum

LondonRascal

I just wanted to say this out loud so speak.  You see we may not be the biggest of Forums for boating, but I have learnt in the last few days, what a really good bunch of people we have here.  You can post just about anything and get helpful, constructive support or advice or ideas and everyone will chip in and share their opinion. It is great.

I won't say which, but I joined a couple of other Forums to ask some questions and the snide remarks and general reactions I got as a new poster just showed what a nice decent place the NBN is. You are not taken for a fool here, or judged, you are not looked down upon or made to feel foolish because of something you may have asked being simple so well done -  it just goes to show when you look about outside our community how harsh others can be.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I just wanted to say this out loud so speak.  You see we may not be the biggest of Forums for boating, but I have learnt in the last few days, what a really good bunch of people we have here.  You can post just about anything and get helpful, constructive support or advice or ideas and everyone will chip in and share their opinion. It is great.

I won't say which, but I joined a couple of other Forums to ask some questions and the snide remarks and general reactions I got as a new poster just showed what a nice decent place the NBN is. You are not taken for a fool here, or judged, you are not looked down upon or made to feel foolish because of something you may have asked being simple so well done -  it just goes to show when you look about outside our community how harsh others can be.

Well said that man , to be really honest i was thinking of a similar thread /post myself only a day or 2 ago , I couldn't agree with your observations more , NBN is a very friendly place on the whole , obviously clashes of opinions will happen but they are resolved quickly without the pages of ridiculous comments that are off topic that you see elsewhere , I like the use if the word community its this forum to a tee , the old community spirit is alive and well right here :default_drinks:

I agree with every single comment, the NBN is not just a boating forum, as you say a community I value a lot of members on here as true friends or keyboard pals as I like to call them

I love that we can discuss all manner of things from health matters to posting a joke (ok, so the jokes aint so good, are they Charlie and Pops?) :default_norty: It's also a support network for so many other things too. Our forum family has given me such fantastic support and a good old laugh at times, it's very much part of my life. My Aunt (the one who hates boats) say's I must be mad to go online and talk to a bunch of strangers, my response is always "They are not strangers simply friends I haven't met yet, don't knock it till you try it"

I thought I new everything about Broads and boating until I became part of this community and gained so much from much more experienced members, even some stuff my Dad didn't know and that's saying something

Have a great day everyone

Grace

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Well said that man , to be really honest i was thinking of a similar thread /post myself only a day or 2 ago , I couldn't agree with your observations more , NBN is a very friendly place on the whole , obviously clashes of opinions will happen but they are resolved quickly without the pages of ridiculous comments that are off topic that you see elsewhere , I like the use if the word community its this forum to a tee , the old community spirit is alive and well right here :default_drinks:

Clashes of opinion are what forums are all about, that way by getting all points of view you also get plenty of varied information. There are one or two very unsociable places best avoided for various reasons. Well done NBN. :default_beerchug:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreed Robin.,I have found a forum may be basically fine but have a few individuals  who presume theirs is the only opinion ,but in a way that is belittling to any one who disagrees with them.I challenged one individual recently ,not heard from him since. I must add ,not here where I have been for many years and enjoy the contribution from  members many of them we have met and enjoyed their company.Sad to see a Facebook group for moaners and groups where bad language exists on a regular basis ,not for us.

• Like 3

I have only been a member for a month since I bought our first boat. I have found lots of useful information on the forums and have had really useful answers to my questions so I can only agree that the members of the NBN are a nice group of people.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

I agree with every single comment, the NBN is not just a boating forum, as you say a community I value a lot of members on here as true friends or keyboard pals as I like to call them

I love that we can discuss all manner of things from health matters to posting a joke (ok, so the jokes aint so good, are they Charlie and Pops?) :default_norty: It's also a support network for so many other things too. Our forum family has given me such fantastic support and a good old laugh at times, it's very much part of my life. My Aunt (the one who hates boats) say's I must be mad to go online and talk to a bunch of strangers, my response is always "They are not strangers simply friends I haven't met yet, don't knock it till you try it"

I thought I new everything about Broads and boating until I became part of this community and gained so much from much more experienced members, even some stuff my Dad didn't know and that's saying something

Have a great day everyone

Grace

I agree entiirely with what has been said, and also during my struggle with my health issues, I have been able to post about my journey, and the support that I have has been getting has been overwhelming. We are a family, we also have a gentle way of keeping things in hand. Great forum, great members, and I have to say a great moderator team, who respond well to member's comments. For example, we are a family group, partners and youngsters together, and I must admit, I am one of the first to pass comments to the mods re bad language. (Very rare on this forum), Who manage to keep things well, on track, and also the odd .scuffle between strong minded members with their own opinions. I like discussions when based on true facts lol... 

We the members, are the forum guys, it is our forum. 

Long may it continue.

Richard

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It occurred to me earlier that one or two other forums I have looked at seem to suffer from the odd 'stirrer'. By that I mean a new poster whose first post seems designed to cause trouble and argument. Or the ones that just pop up now and again with some comment clearly made to upset others. I think the way members behave on the NBN and the way the mods stamp out anything untoward goes a long way to deter such posters on here. Long may that continue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

When we lost our dear Broadscot our lovely pesky mod, things went sadly off course but I feel that in recent months everything has calmed down. Long may it last during the frustrating winter months when us boaters get so frustrated being away from our beloved Broads?!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I find it so depressing at this time of the year knowing the time to "winterize" is looming ever closer. We've mooted the idea of spending New Year on board this year, I think we probably will. I 'm hoping if this is on the horizon I won't be quite so downhearted when we "clear off" for the winter as I'll have that to look forward to fairly soon. Having said that I've just had a call from the surgery to say the quack isn't happy with one of the blood tests I had last week so have to hope there is nothing going on that will thwart my plans.

Carole

• Like 1

Winter on the Broads is great, fire up the Eber (other makes of heating available) and its just you and the wilds

This was near the start of a trip from Potter to Brundall  in Dec last year, we saw 1 other boat moving the whole trip!

WP_20161219_13_21_02_Pro.jpg

Well said Robin, although not a prolific poster I enjoy this forum and have been helped by many members over the last few years. Like you I was subject to snide comments and was soon aware of the various cliques operating in another place. Any postings made were ridiculed if you were not a member of the in crowd..

Sadly nothing has changed so long live the NBN

• Like 5

Rascal:

I totally agree with you. I have been on a number of other boating forums in the past and been belittled by some of the people on there.

Needless to say, I do not use those forums any more. I really appreciate any advice from people who know more than me on this forum but have never felt that I have been treated like an idiot by not knowing the information.

By the same token I get a lot of satisfaction in passing on any knowledge that I may have on various subjects. 

Thingy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, thingamybob said:

I really appreciate any advice from people who know more than me on this forum but have never felt that I have been treated like an idiot

I'm always treated like an idiot whatever forum I belong to......... Please don't belittle the only qualification I ever got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I of course echo what Robin and many have said.  Two points about the NBN Friendly forum fo me really stand out.

1) The fact that the moderators in here are just that  'Moderators'  and what's more they know the dictionary meaning of the word 'Moderate'

2) And even more impressive is that the general membership or forumites just kinda know how to be polite and respectful to each other and respecting others points of view even if not agreeing with them making the moderators job a lot less stressful

Long may it continue and why not?

The only down side is, try as I might and maybe have done so, I just cannot quite get that badge of honour of have being 'Moderated'

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2