Reporting Faults On Hire Boats

Wyndham

Often when we finish a holiday we have a few things to report to the staff at the boatyard, most are minor things but some more important and need attention. We just tell the first person we see of any problems, usual response will be “OK, we’ll look at it”. Then I’m left wondering if anything ever gets done.

What prompted me to bring this up was my last hire, which had a couple of minor niggles but also one of an alarm going off at times when cruising.(assume it was C02, I don’t know much about these things) I was on my own and put it down to exhaust fumes being blown into the boat. To me this was something that needed attention before the boat went out on hire again.

It seems, at least from the yards we’ve hired from, that there is no structure to make sure that any faults that get reported are noted and the people who need to know are made aware of them.

A simple form would do, hirers could fill in any faults, they could all be logged, prioritised, the boatyards could deal with the important ones, using their resources efficiently, obviously they can’t fix everything at busy times. Just as importantly, they would have a record of all the minor niggles that could be attended to at a later date.

I don’t run a boatyard and they must do a good job to stay in business but this seems like a tiny little thing which could, potentially, keep more customers happy.

Thoughts?

Depending on the issue I ring the office to warn them of an issue so they can plan it in, I also make a note on the form you get when you return the boat at Richo's.

I know I've covered any issues for the next crew.

Then again it didn't stop from running of of gas after 2 days, think someone forgot to swap the already empty bottle ready for the other running out.

It probably depends how long or if the boat is going out again. 

I know I reported a boat early last year regarding a hydraulic oil leak from the steering wheel, not bad but enough to wipe down twice a day and I ran into the same boat in a yard with the same familiar leak later that same year.

I guess it would take the boat out of rotation for too long to fix in season.

I wonder if the boat yards leave something wrong until it gets phoned in as a complaint?

On my last few hires from Richardsons the staff doing the fuel refill on return have specifically asked "Do you have any issues to report?". I've sometimes had a couple of minor niggles and they record them on a clipboard. This has left me reasonably sure the issues will receive attention, so all in all really good service. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

I wonder if the boat yards leave something wrong until it gets phoned in as a complaint?

I wonder that to, but also find it concerning that they have no system to log  faults so they can be dealt with when time permits.

A customer phoning in a fault can't be good for business, one less star on tripadvisor.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

On my last few hires from Richardsons the staff doing the fuel refill on return have specifically asked "Do you have any issues to report?". I've sometimes had a couple of minor niggles and they record them on a clipboard. This has left me reasonably sure the issues will receive attention, so all in all really good service. 

That's good, I've not seen them record anything so maybe I'm wrong and they do write all problems down.

• Like 1

We've had the same at Richardson's. I remember one year we hired a Major Gem, once the usual had been done with the engineer we unpacked and one of us had to use one of the toilets before underway, it wouldn't flush or some such so an engineer was called over, it took two hours to fix, so two hours late getting underway, they couldn't apologise enough. Just before we were set to leave one of the engineers came over with two bottles of wine, one red, one white and a box of chocolates, now that's service and putting things right. He said that it should have been reported by the last hirer. Although I have to say, having two cute engineers, two bottles of wine and a box of chocolates wasn't much of a problem to me :default_norty: Seriously though, please report any problems, at least you've done your bit for the next hirers

Grace

• Like 6

We always report issues to the staff in the office when we take our buoyancy aids back or sort out the fuel deposit. They are always noted down ... and that's the best you can do really. But I think the option to fill in a feedback form to include any issues is a good idea. We've had that on other holiday types, particularly hotels, and it only takes a few minutes to fill in. Having said that, many of these have switched to emailing you a link for a survey. That would be fine for feedback but wouldn't help with sorting out repairs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cheesey said:

I can assure you, it would be in no boatyard's interest to do that. In the ideal world everything should be checked before the boat goes out but it is very difficult to notice everything on a Saturday morning, so a notification of an existing fault makes the mechanic's life much easier.

Sometimes your arrival particulars can go astray as well. On Swan Romance, we asked for linen for two double beds. When we took over on the Sunday morning, we had linen for one bed, and a sailing dinghy! I had a good laugh with the mechanic, as I said I didn't think I could get into one of those any more and I certainly couldn't get out again!

• Like 2

When we have hired on the canals we have fixed small faults, catches not fitted correctly or loose. We have had to call out engineers for props becoming loose, heating not working etc. Smaller faults that you can live with but require repairs before the next hire we have informed the yard prior to our return so they can be scheduled in the turn round.

Talking to engineers you may be surprised by the call outs they get. One of the more common calls they get is that there is no water.

Regards

Alan

Only time I've ever had a problem it's been solved very well, ran out of gas at Salhouse, poor engineer had to lug a gas bottle down to the broad from the car park, only to find that actually nobody had told us there was a changeover valve on the two bottles, I sent him on his way with enough for a couple of pints and a chip supper for him and his lad. Other thing, same trip, main circuit breakers tripped meaning no immersion heater or shore power, again if it had been explained at the handover, we wouldn't have needed help, but I didn't think to look behind the sofa!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

We've had the same at Richardson's. I remember one year we hired a Major Gem, once the usual had been done with the engineer we unpacked and one of us had to use one of the toilets before underway, it wouldn't flush or some such so an engineer was called over, it took two hours to fix, so two hours late getting underway, they couldn't apologise enough. Just before we were set to leave one of the engineers came over with two bottles of wine, one red, one white and a box of chocolates, now that's service and putting things right. He said that it should have been reported by the last hirer. Although I have to say, having two cute engineers, two bottles of wine and a box of chocolates wasn't much of a problem to me :default_norty: Seriously though, please report any problems, at least you've done your bit for the next hirers

Grace

He must have been a member here - and guessed who that blond was :default_norty:

• Like 2

I am afraid to say that some boatyards (I only actually know of one) actually did wait for something to break finally before fixing the issue. i.e. no engine oil or gear oil checks between hirers etc. Don't forget those lovely (sic) new fangled weed filters the new engines require. They were often  not checked or emptied if checked. Quite a few times as a hirer I have ignored the advice to "not mess with them" and have emptied them and hey presto lovely engine temperature again.

Havent hired for seven years now so maybe its all different. I certainly hope so.

M

• Like 1

Hi I just would like add this story . The Boat I hired a few years ago had faults Number One stay at the Yard over Night Dead Batteries Two running the Boat down River Engine started Running very Hot pulled in to Womack Belt to the Pump Changed . Three setting off down River Heading  towards Acle Bridge Running Hot once pulled in to Horizon Craft Changed the Water Filter and Thermo stat  fine  stayed over night in their yard. Off the Next Moring to Wroxham guess what  Engine Running Hot but I managed to keep the revs down limped in to Wroxham got the Pilot to take the Boat under the Bridge got Moored up to Free Mooring called the Boat Yard out once again love and behold the Engineers said the Head  has gone instead of getting another Boat they Stripped the Engine down replace a New head that took Five Hours to do while I was trying to cook the Evening Dinner as to theses Guys where getting paid Overtime may I add had the Engine fixed. . The Next Day had a run to Coltishall that was ok. The following day gets down to Ran worth to find there was an Air lock in the Hot water System fixed that problem  The last day got back to the Boat Yard to stay over night going home . All I can say is that was the worse Holiday I ever had on the Norfolk Broads with all this Engine problem. I believe it was all down to the Last Hirer who knew there was problem  with the Boat Engine and did not report the Fault  to that Yard.

Andrew Cook 

Or quite possibly the boatyard knew there might be a fault and thought they would sort it out on your coin and not theres, did you recieve any money back for that Andrew?

We hired a boat advertised as Top notch once from a large some may say unpopular Wroxham yard and it just broke down all week, they did redeem themselves ever so slightly by giving a bit of cash back at the end of the hire which was appreciated.  The annoying thing for us was we had taken some relatives who had never been on a boat before and they have never set foot on one since!

I once went on board a hireboat to take a look for a concerned couple who had told us their boat smelled of diesel but the yard had told them 'its an old boat, what do you expect', well actually the boat reeked of diesel and the culprit was a weeping injector pipe, I reckon that leak had been present for a long time based on the state of the engine undertrays and the absorbent pads they contained, all for a £30 part and an hour or so of an engineers time, although looking round the boat was neglected in other areas too. This was in the 90's and the yard does not exist now.

13 minutes ago, 40something said:

I once went on board a hireboat to take a look for a concerned couple who had told us their boat smelled of diesel but the yard had told them 'its an old boat, what do you expect', well actually the boat reeked of diesel and the culprit was a weeping injector pipe, I reckon that leak had been present for a long time based on the state of the engine undertrays and the absorbent pads they contained, all for a £30 part and an hour or so of an engineers time, although looking round the boat was neglected in other areas too. This was in the 90's and the yard does not exist now.

Shoddyness like that is inexcusible, they were obviously aware of the problem for the absorbent pads.  If the pipe wasnt repaired it would eventually have broken and caused a breakdown which would have been avoided with preventitve maintenance.  

Lets hope they fixed it before that happened!

When I worked on the narrowboats as a lad (ok this one was 12 foot wide), the guy who had them was head of tech at school and he told me he got a call to someone stuck on the toilet, The boat had 2 which worked under pressure to pull the waste away, well a woman had kicked the pedal and the option was to crack the tank connector or a tin of beans. She was off by the time he got to the boat, days before mobiles.

Well, in my experiences things have been rectified while I am out on hire should I find an issue, or so far as Richardon's or Barnes Brinkcraft go have been noted on an actual printed form for the very purpose of reporting defects. In fact at Richardson's the chap came onto the boat to see and a small weeping leak from the inlet stroke on the handle of the toilet (e.g river water not foul water) and such was noted for fixing.

It can depend on time of year, number of boats, type of fault, number of staff etc but the worse thing is telling seasonal staff on a Saturday as they fill up the boat with fuel 'by the way such and such is not working' because you can bet your boots they will smile and say 'yep cheers' and go no further. Get someone in overalls or the section leader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

Get someone in overalls or the section leader.

Who are they though MR. R

The point I'm trying to get across is how can you be sure that the person you speak to will get something done. Of course you can't...........as it stands.

Thank you all for your replies and Andrew...wow , that's a pretty bad holiday.

For me it's the small things, the niggly things that get on my nerves.

Last year I hired a top notch (so they said) boat that was full of minor faults.

I used to work in a plant hire yard renting out some serious kit on a fast turn around as these things don't pay for themselves sitting unused.

Each unit had a multi point check list that we ran through before cleaning and servicing. Everything from ease of filler cap opening to the catch on the document draw working.

I'd expect this as a minimum.

Edited by Cheesey
Spalling mrsstake
  • Like 3

We hired the Fair Prince just after it was launched, I believe we were the third to hire it. One morning heading through Barton broads it started to rain and we couldn't get the sliding roof closed, it had come out of alignment. We pulled up at Barton Staithe and called the engineers out to put it right. It took two and a bit hours for them to come out, they got it to close and said the roof should be closed from the outside, one each side and that was the best way to close it. I did ask who would helm the boat whilst this was being done as it's only a 2 birth, there was a centre pull handle, but it was heavy, awkward and draughty, due to it not fitting correctly.  We did report it on it's return, I hope they sorted it out, there's never any feedback.

• Like 1

Many moons ago we hired a boat from Faircraft, I think it may have been one of the old Fair Entrepreneurs. One evening when I was cooking the handle fell off a saucepan. (Actually the saucepan fell off the handle as I was trying to strain the contents but you get my drift...). When we got back to the boatyard I took the pan and handle to the office to show someone rather than just leave it on the boat. My husband had looked at it closely and seen that it had previously been welded together. Well, talk about third degree! 'What were you doing with it?' the lady asked in a very shirty manner. 'Cooking!' says I! (I have wished ever since that I had said that I was bashing my husband with it!) After another couple of silly questions, I think the lady realised I was getting a tad annoyed and backed off. No apology though and I bet it went back to the workshop for further welding. 

• Sad 1