Let Off Steam In Here !!!!

Wonderwall

Just now, vanessan said:

I bet that’s confused some even more! It certainly wouldn’t incur my wrath. I should add that it is when I see for example a menu board outside a pub or that sort of thing where incorrect apostrophes are rampant. Punctuation, spelling and grammar seem to be becoming less and less important in this day and age. I haven’t yet made up my mind if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It puts everything/everyone onto an even keel but is slowly destroying our language. It almost seems to be the norm now to use was instead of were, there instead of their, no rather than know and  so on. I hope this doesn’t start another argument but it would interest me to no wot ovvers fink. :default_norty:

I iz rite wiv u bruv, spellin n gramma iz well importunt innit :default_smiley-angelic002:

Dammit, you've started me now.

Less instead of Fewer, "For free" instead of just "Free".  "Innit" instead of "You know" (sorry Jayfire, I couldn't resist that),

"Off of", "Different to" instead of "Different from" (always remember it's "Similar to" and "Different from" and NEVER "Different than")

Ahh the list is endless!

Edited to add...   I rather like Naga too

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Dammit, you've started me now.

Less instead of Fewer, "For free" instead of just "Free".  "Innit" instead of "You know" (sorry Jayfire, I couldn't resist that),

"Off of", "Different to" instead of "Different from" (always remember it's "Similar to" and "Different from" and NEVER "Different than")

Ahh the list is endless!

Oh dear made me think of one other thing I constantly hear - ‘I should of’ rather than ‘I should have’. ie ‘I don’t think I should of started this topic’!!

• Thanks 1

Crikey, I can't even use a full stop, now I'm really confused. I always fought I could writ proper and made know mistakes or nuffin, my spilings pretty good tho

Yes I know that's meant to be no and not know befour anyone desides to point it out thank you viry mush

Grace

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Crikey, I can't even use a full stop, now I'm really confused. I always fought I could writ proper and made know mistakes or nuffin, my spilings pretty good tho

Yes I know that's meant to be no and not know befour anyone desides to point it out thank you viry mush

Grace

You bin on that their red vino agin Gracie?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

"Innit" instead of "You know" (sorry Jayfire, I couldn't resist that),

Edited to add...   I rather like Naga too

If we are getting down to semantics then should that not be 'is it not' instead of 'innit' :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Oh dear made me think of one other thing I constantly hear - ‘I should of’ rather than ‘I should have’. ie ‘I don’t think I should of started this topic’!!

Are you hearing should of or should've though? They do sound very similar.....:default_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Are you hearing should of or should've though? They do sound very similar.....:default_biggrin:

They do indeed but, listening to tv interviews and the like, you can clearly hear ‘should of’. People actually write it too, couldn’t be much clearer than that. 

I’m really interested to know if folk think these things matter or should we just let our language deteriorate? After all, the main thing is that we understand each other and can converse easily. Answers on a postcard please...............:default_smile:

• Haha 1

Human speech, the written word , television and computers are designed for the communication of ideas, facts, emotions and information. In order to communicate well, the means should be well structured, clear and incapable of misinterpretation.

There is the old anecdote of the soldier sending back a message from the front line: "Send reinforcements, we are going to advance", which was passed from person to person until it reached HQ as "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance".

In scientific papers, international relations and all stops between accuracy and conciseness of expression are of the utmost importance. I find it deeply saddening to see the art and skill of communication corrupted through laziness, poor teaching standards and foreign invasion, and propagated by the media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Numbnuts that get halfway through the pub door and then have a 5 minute conversation despite the fact it's winter and there's a howling gale coming through freezing everyone inside, go outside and talk or come in and talk you bloody idiots!!!!!!! Not stood with the sodding door wide open!!!!!

And breathe........

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

They do indeed but, listening to tv interviews and the like, you can clearly hear ‘should of’. People actually write it too, couldn’t be much clearer than that. 

I’m really interested to know if folk think these things matter or should we just let our language deteriorate? After all, the main thing is that we understand each other and can converse easily. Answers on a postcard please...............:default_smile:

thats right we should go back to English as written in Shakespears time where the same word was spelled lots of ways. its an ever evolving language.

• Like 2

I’m really interested to know if folk think these things matter or should we just let our language deteriorate?

Deteriorate - no.
Evolve - yes.
The saddest part for me is that English will become American English in a few years. Now that’s deterioration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

As someone who struggles with the written word and can't read a book without yawning after one page, I have no problem with the Americanisation of English, there is so much that to myself makes no sense with English, you cannot learn it by rules as for every rule there is many an exception.  Why do we insist on putting a 'U' in the word colour when color works just fine? Why do we need so many spellings for 'there' when it's the context of the sentence that defines its meaning one spelling would have done for all.

Sorry I know i'm a heathen.

• Like 3

As someone who struggles with the written word and can't read a book without yawning after one page, I have no problem with the Americanisation of English, there is so much that to myself makes no sense with English, you cannot learn it by rules as for every rule there is many an exception.  Why do we insist on putting a 'U' in the word colour when color works just fine? Why do we need so many spellings for 'there' when it's the context of the sentence that defines its meaning one spelling would have done for all.
Sorry I know i'm a heathen.

That’s an interesting point of view.
I know I disagree but I can’t come up with a good reason why
Maybe it’s about the loss of British identity. I have no problem with any race coming here and causing change over time in the language but I do object to us just adopting another nation’s language.
I once was on an internal flight in the US and a lovely American lady was surprised at how good my English was for a non American person
I don’t disagree over things like there, they’re, their etc and my comprehensive education in the 70’s didn’t teach me what a verb, noun, adverb etc was (and I still don’t know). It’s a horrible language but it’s our horrible language

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me started on poor spelling and grammar. Winds me up all the time at work. And even more so when I spot mistakes on professional websites and literature! People run a quick spell check but don't proof read. So they end up with words that are words but are not the right words.

I do think that text speak is creeping into what some people find acceptable or perhaps is influencing how they write and speak. For example ... I will hear the younger folk in the office saying "Do you want to come with?" To me that's missing a word on the end. Or "I'm going London". That's missing the word "to" in the middle as well. Or "Enjoy that?" That's missing "Did you" on the front. It's lazy and it's more how one might text or Tweet when characters are at a premium or abbreviations often used.

And as for those that say "pecific" not "specific" and write it incorrectly as well ... I have resisted correcting them in case it is a problem with pronouncing the "sp" combination ... but really I don't think it is otherwise surely they would at least spell it correctly.

That's my rant over for a Sunday morning. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have lost count of the number of times I have corrected 'should of' in written work!

My favourite American language anecdote as reported in the Times Educational Supplement ran something like this:-

An American senator from a southern state was objecting to the teaching of Spanish in schools. 'English,' he said, 'is the language of the Bible, and if it's good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me.'

• Haha 3