Boat Safety Scheme (bss) - Recommendations

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations, the BA have sent me a letter advising that Orca seems to be 4 years old in march and needs to checked for safety.

Can anyone recommend a suitable Norfolk based examiner whom I can trust to jump aboard and do a good job (I'd like to think she will fly through anyway once I've restuck some stickers and erm put the fire blanket in the "right" spot!?!). I'll go with the one with most votes, although they need to be permitted into Broadsedge marina which maybe easier said than done!

(Ma and Pops and liked the chap who did S.Kingfisher though, do you remember who that was?!)

Thanks in advance. 

11 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations, the BA have sent me a letter advising that Orca seems to be 4 years old in march and needs to checked for safety.

Can anyone recommend a suitable Norfolk based examiner whom I can trust to jump aboard and do a good job (I'd like to think she will fly through anyway once I've restuck some stickers and erm put the fire blanket in the "right" spot!?!). I'll go with the one with most votes, although they need to be permitted into Broadsedge marina which maybe easier said than done!

(Ma and Pops and liked the chap who did S.Kingfisher though, do you remember who that was?!)

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Alan,

We used Alan May for our BSS  inspection last year.

Tel. 07833657570

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Tony Urwin of Bank Boats, Wayford. David at Broadsedge can arrange for you.

When I moored at Broadsedge they would only let approved contractors work on site and some owners would meet examiners at Paddy's or Sutton moorings.

However Tony is very good and his rates are reasonable.

• Thanks 1

Another vote here for Tim Waters, We have used him for our last 2 boats and yes there were things which needed sorting and quite rightly so, but he doesn't make a meal of it and is fair and understanding and you know when you get the certificate it does really mean your boat is safe, and let's face it that's the important thing, Regards Ted

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asking questions like this is like asking what is the best Varnish - we all have an opinion. I asked a similar question when I brought Independence up and she had never had a BSS.  In the end I I opted for Tim Waters, he was the first to get back to me, and popped down to the boat while I was there and talked me through what he wanted to do and see.  I was then able to to explain things, help him with access to areas he needed to inspect and after so doing he gave me a very clear, common sense list of things to have sorted - such as the fuel lines, and the type, and size of fire extinguisher to upgrade for the boasts size.

Once this was done he then came back very soon after and issued the certificate. I was then able to send the same off to the Broads Authority and get the Toll dealt with.

I therefore can recommend Tim, and when it comes to getting Trixie's BSS done I'll use him for this boat too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Tim waters jumped aboard today (I actually kinda forgot he was going) but Orca passed with no issues which is nice to know. 

Top marks to Tim though, he jumped on without the need for us to be there, and emailed the certificate over so nice and smooth. Highly recommend him :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...