Hi Everyone!

detheridge02

Thanks for letting me join the forum.

My history with the broads goes 40 ish years when I was a child on the Northern broads in a traditional wooden boat (apologies if my terminology is miles off!). I remember mooring up back then was a case of finding a tree or two and hoping they would hold! As I grew up the trips to the broads became fewer and fewer and with college and university they stopped all together. Fast forward to May last year and we had a chance for a family holiday, myself and wife, parents, sister and her children on San Elena from Richardsons. I was nominated to be captain, actually I think the others didn't want to make a fool of themselves during the training run. My first time at the helm of a 40 odd footer but I was surprised how well she handled.

This year we are booked during May / June, again with Richardsons, this time aboard Majestic Gem and have already booked for April 2020. My wife and I are also looking at the two of us having a quiet week at some point,. We're thinking possible Barnes Brinkcraft's Brinks Sonnet for the added bonus of bow thrusters to help with mooring.

Hopefully 2020 may be a good time to look at either buying a boat share or our own small boat, we'll have to see!

Thanks again
Dave

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Nice to hear you enjoyed last year and have booked some more.

Regarding you and Mrs Dave getting away together, we once looked at hiring Brinks Sonnet but ruled it out as it doesn't have a proper oven, don't know if you were aware of that or if it's important to you.

IMO and I'm sure others will agree, the ex Swancraft boats from Richardsons are lovely for two and have a bow thruster too, and it'll be another holiday towards a discount.

• Like 2

Welcome along Dave! :default_icon_wave:

I'm another fan of the ex-Swancraft boats. We're out on Swan Reflection next month and you will find a number of my holiday tales posted on the forum on both this boat and Brinks Sonnet. There are links to my videos there as well.

Swan Reflection is only 31 feet so you might find it a little cramped for space but the other ex-Swancraft boats are longer. I never like to say bad things about a boat after someone has booked it for fear of spoiling their excitement but if you haven't chosen yet then ... in my own personal opinion I probably wouldn't hire Sonnet again. Swan Reflection is way easier to handle, just stays on course! Plus Sonnet has no draft proofing around the sliding roof so it's a colder boat - fine in June but chilly out of season.

It's not about the yard, Barnes Brinkcraft themselves were perfectly fine. If you want more the luxury end then I would look at Ferry Marina. Great boats, great service and Horning is a great place to start and end your holiday. Bear in mind their prices are all inclusive so no extra to pay for fuel etc. But Richardson's are so competitive on price compared to a lot of other places.

If you want to know anything else then just send me a message.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Welcome along Dave! :default_icon_wave:

I'm another fan of the ex-Swancraft boats. We're out on Swan Reflection next month and you will find a number of my holiday tales posted on the forum on both this boat and Brinks Sonnet. There are links to my videos there as well.

Swan Reflection is only 31 feet so you might find it a little cramped for space but the other ex-Swancraft boats are longer. I never like to say bad things about a boat after someone has booked it for fear of spoiling their excitement but if you haven't chosen yet then ... in my own personal opinion I probably wouldn't hire Sonnet again. Swan Reflection is way easier to handle, just stays on course! Plus Sonnet has no draft proofing around the sliding roof so it's a colder boat - fine in June but chilly out of season.

It's not about the yard, Barnes Brinkcraft themselves were perfectly fine. If you want more the luxury end then I would look at Ferry Marina. Great boats, great service and Horning is a great place to start and end your holiday. Bear in mind their prices are all inclusive so no extra to pay for fuel etc. But Richardson's are so competitive on price compared to a lot of other places.

If you want to know anything else then just send me a message.

Thanks Jean. We hadn't booked the holiday for just us yet and glad we didn't! After looking through the Swan boats we'll be booking Swan Radiance. A good size cruiser with lots of good features (I think Zo was sold on 'whirlpool bath'!).
Happy days, now can I squeeze in an extra week at the end of this year...
Thanks again
Dave

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

You'll get used to me... eventually!

The jury’s still out in some cases! :default_norty:

:default_welcome: to the forum Dave. Not a lot of questions that can’t be answered in one way or another here. Sounds as if the bug has bitten, hope you enjoy your May/June trip. 

On 07/02/2019 at 19:25, detheridge02 said:

Thanks for letting me join the forum.

My history with the broads goes 40 ish years when I was a child on the Northern broads in a traditional wooden boat (apologies if my terminology is miles off!). I remember mooring up back then was a case of finding a tree or two and hoping they would hold! As I grew up the trips to the broads became fewer and fewer and with college and university they stopped all together. Fast forward to May last year and we had a chance for a family holiday, myself and wife, parents, sister and her children on San Elena from Richardsons. I was nominated to be captain, actually I think the others didn't want to make a fool of themselves during the training run. My first time at the helm of a 40 odd footer but I was surprised how well she handled.

This year we are booked during May / June, again with Richardsons, this time aboard Majestic Gem and have already booked for April 2020. My wife and I are also looking at the two of us having a quiet week at some point,. We're thinking possible Barnes Brinkcraft's Brinks Sonnet for the added bonus of bow thrusters to help with mooring.

Hopefully 2020 may be a good time to look at either buying a boat share or our own small boat, we'll have to see!

Thanks again
Dave

Welcome from another newbie.  I first went out on the broads with my parents 40 years ago, and now it's my turn to take my own children out on my boat.  The Broads has changed over the last 40 years, but it's still the best inland waterway in the uk as far as I'm concerned.  And, you can still find stretches of water without anyone else for miles (particularly at this time of year).  Enjoy!

• Like 2