Stokesby Shop / Cafe

7 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I had no idea there used to be a pub at Langley Dyke

The Wherry

Fine pub, long gone now. This was taken around 10 years ago after it closed. I remember going in, probably back in the 90's or even earlier. No photos from then sadly.

Wherry.JPG

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

Guy was called Paul Duby I think, friend of my Father in Law. Nice guy, lovely place to visit. Last there in 1984.

The candle shop was still open in the early 2000's so no sure when it closed down, this was another seasonal enterprise that only opened a few days a week.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I should have some photos of the Wherry at Langley but cannot find them, I think they are from the pre digital era and probably never got digitised.

There is some brief information and a photo on the Norfolk Pubs website, rather than plagiarise it I'll include the link below.

Wherry Inn Langley

I rather liked it, it was unpretentious and always a warm welcome. There was talk of it being taken over as a community venture, then conversion to a licensed guest house, but in the end it went the way of many, to a private residence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The candle shop was still open in the early 2000's so no sure when it closed down, this was another seasonal enterprise that only opened a few days a week.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Very interesting guy and I still remember some of the clever techniques he told us about for making candles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Yeah that sounds about right.

Very interesting guy and I still remember some of the clever techniques he told us about for making candles.

Hello oldgregg,

It was a woman that showed us around and she spent a while showing our two teenagers at the time how she made the candles, from the dipping the wick into the various shades of wax. I am sure we will have bought an odd candle at the time. The shop if I remember correctly was at the front or the side of their house. I know there were no mooring signs outside of their property. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello oldgregg,

It was a woman that showed us around and she spent a while showing our two teenagers at the time how she made the candles, from the dipping the wick into the various shades of wax. I am sure we will have bought an odd candle at the time. The shop if I remember correctly was at the front or the side of their house. I know there were no mooring signs outside of their property. 

Regards

Alan

We went to the candle shop way back in the 80s seem to think the lady was American

21 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I had no idea there used to be a pub at Langley Dyke. At Thurne there is a small shop now which is mostly a gift shop with a smattering of newspapers and provisions as well. 

The last time i saw the pub at Langley dyke Simon, was in 86, when me and a mate had a pub lunch in there. It was really good, then a few years later, we moored there, went to the pub, and it was in the middle of being converted into a house.

As for the Gift shop at the head of Thurne dyke, that`s Liz`s place, and she sells some really basic food etc. She`s a really lovely lady who has become a good friend. Whenever we`re up there late in the year (November), we always give her a call, and go round to see her, usually by car.

• Like 1

Been in most of them bar the Anchor and London Tavern. . Station at Colitshall had some interesting characters. Don't forget the railway at Reedham, that was a fine pub.

35 minutes ago, Paul said:

But who remembers The Chequers, or where it was .....

Rings a bell.......

We seem to have gone off topic again...............(no change there then. Ed)  

13 hours ago, garryn said:

Does anybody remember the Bridge at St Olaves?

Don't remember a pub called the Bridge, but I remember sitting on the step outside the Queens Head next to Haddiscoe lift bridge in 1958 (probably had a bottle of pop and packet of crisps, which was standard fare for children who weren't allowed in pubs in those days).

16 hours ago, garryn said:

Does anybody remember the Bridge at St Olaves?

The house which still stands alongside the new cut, almost under the bridge was originally the Bridge Inn, then known as the Bridge House which became the Queens Head sometime in the C19th. It closed in the 1980s I think then briefly reopened as a restaurant. IIRC there was an attempt to reopen a pub known as the Bridge Inn soon after the Queens Head closed in some kind of prefab / timber building alongside but this was short lived. I think it was mired with licensing and planning issues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

The house which still stands alongside the new cut, almost under the bridge was originally the Bridge Inn, then known as the Bridge House which became the Queens Head sometime in the C19th. It closed in the 1980s I think then briefly reopened as a restaurant. IIRC there was an attempt to reopen a pub known as the Bridge Inn soon after the Queens Head closed in some kind of prefab / timber building alongside but this was short lived. I think it was mired with licensing and planning issues.  

I remember visiting the prefab pub on 2nd Sept 1983 when we were on Sunset Six 1 (an AF42 Mk 1 centre cockpit - ex short lived King of Light 1).

• Like 1

That was run by the guy who originally had the Wherry at Langley, can't recall his name (possibly Trevor?). At that time he was trying to get the Queen's Head up and running as a restaurant, but I don't recall it ever opening as such.

3 hours ago, Regulo said:

That was run by the guy who originally had the Wherry at Langley, can't recall his name (possibly Trevor?). At that time he was trying to get the Queen's Head up and running as a restaurant, but I don't recall it ever opening as such.

I'm pretty sure it opened, it was called Spinnaker's IIRC