Subsiding House

garryn

4 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Where is this one please? Reminds me of something I saw when we were out a couple of weeks ago but I thought I was seeing things. 

I was wondering that. It looks familiar. Judging by the danger keep out signs, it's due for some remedial work.

At a guess, I would say that is down the bottom of Marsh Rd in Hoveton, near where the Bure Court used to be. Most of the houses and bungalows around there are constantly sinking into the marsh and have been jacked up again several times during their lives!

It's a houseboat badly in need of a pumpout.....More beer at the other end should sort it!

A lot of the houses in the fens are built on rafts instead of normal foundations and tend to subside, if they were on foundations they would just fall apart very soon, don't know if this is the same issue.

It's not subsidence.

I heard about this the other week from a local builder. Apparently one side was steel piled the other year but the other wasn't. The old timber side just gave way all of a sudden and kind of concettinaed in on itself, with by all accounts with an almighty bang. 

Luckily nobody was inside. 

Apparently the thatch is very recent and there are plans to remove and save it.

I would imagine it will be a pull down and start again job. I've jacked up houses, that one has gone down so far I can't see it being cost effective.

• Like 2

I remember watching the piling go in for the foundations of the new shop and apartments at The WRC. They would pile a steel tube almost level, then weld another on top and pile again. I asked at the time how deep they go. We just keep adding more tubes until we hit something solid was the answer! Some of the piles had at least 9 or 10 lengths added. Mind you it has been there best part of 15 years and it still looks level to my untrained eye!

Edited to add that off course the "new shop" is no more, it is now another apartment. The shop having moved to what used to be part of The Waveney Inn.

13 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I remember watching the piling go in for the foundations of the new shop and apartments at The WRC. They would pile a steel tube almost level, then weld another on top and pile again. I asked at the time how deep they go. We just keep adding more tubes until we hit something solid was the answer! Some of the piles had at least 9 or 10 lengths added. Mind you it has been there best part of 15 years and it still looks level to my untrained eye!

Edited to add that off course the "new shop" is no more, it is now another apartment. The shop having moved to what used to be part of The Waveney Inn.

When I part owned the WRC the Environment Agency or whatever they were called back in the late seventies put in some test bores near where the 'new' shop was to be built. Forty to fifty feet before there was any support, four hundred feet before they hit anything really solid! At forty feet they retrieved the skeleton of an 'equus-equus', a small horse if I remember correctly. I offered it to the Castle Museum at Norwich but apparently they are quite common so they didn't want it.  

• Like 2

When the block of terraced houses was built on the old Southgates yard, just up river from Horning Sailing club, they test piled and hit solid at 25ft, when it came to build the block, some of the piles went down 90ft+

Meanwhile the Sailing club is slowly subsiding itself, the end nearest the flag pole is several inches lower than the rest of the building.

About 5 years ago the club were told that the current building has less than 10 years life left. The Club has been busy trying to increase the piggy bank and get things organised ever since.

The new building will have to be very different because BA has said they will not permit new portacabins. It will have to be a piled proper building not a group of porta cabins sitting on railway sleepers..  So it will be expensive...

• Like 1

I'm not actually involved with the decisions on how the building will be built but I'm sure they will go into all options.

The big pile next door to the club and the little boat house were built not that long ago with some very large piles...

Back in the early 1970s I was living in my parents Married quarter on Benbecula which were built on the bottom of an old sea loch / peat bog. The row across from us was still under construction.

They dug a deep trench around the foundation line filled it with concrete,

Dug out the peat from the middle, which was refilling with water rapidly,

Stuck a pipe in and kept the pump running emptying the water, back filling the hole with large ballast.

Capped the lot with concrete, pump still running,

Removed pipe in a hurry and capped the hole.

So the married quarters were floating on their own open bottom hull of concrete..

42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm not actually involved with the decisions on how the building will be built but I'm sure they will go into all options.

The big pile next door to the club and the little boat house were built not that long ago with some very large piles...

Whatever is chosen, I hope it's nothing like 'the big pile' - or monstrosity - next door. :default_huh:

• Like 1