Hire Boats Mooring In Other Boat Yards

Coryton

I understand that hire boats are allowed to moor in other hire boat federation boat yards.

I'd imagine that - except for Saturdays - there ought to be space at least in August. So does one just turn up?

Then again in the "Skipper's Manual" it says "subject to availibility." (their spelling not mine...) So would a phone call beforehand be a good idea?

32 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I understand that hire boats are allowed to moor in other hire boat federation boat yards.

I'd imagine that - except for Saturdays - there ought to be space at least in August. So does one just turn up?

Then again in the "Skipper's Manual" it says "subject to availibility." (their spelling not mine...) So would a phone call beforehand be a good idea?

Yes, always a good idea to call first.  The usual rule of thumb is to avoid hire yards on the eve`s of take over days, so not normally on a Thursday, Friday, or Sunday, as they may need the space to turn their fleet around on Fridays, Saturdays, and Mondays.  You don`t need to phone first, but for the days i mention, it`s always advisable to call first, and please don`t be annoyed if they say sorry, we can`t fit you in.

The good thing is, often you find many of the popular moorings and places will not be busy on these days, so it`s worth looking for a mooring well away from a yard. Places like Loddon, which only has one small family run yard, yet no others within several hours away, so making a quick return from nearby on changeover morning impossible. Beccles will be the same, with no hire yards within at least 2 hours cruising time.  There are many other places like these, so i`m sure other members will be able to give you more info.

As for me, i have no more time tonight as i`m off to bed.

• Thanks 1

In our experience boatyards often put signs out if they don’t want you to moor there because of reserving the space for their own boats. But many of them are very relaxed about it and just ask that you be gone by 8am. There are so many changeover days now that you would never be able to use the boatyards otherwise! So just be happy to be away early. No hardship really as that’s the best time of the day. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good advice so far. Wroxham is the trickiest because all the yards have limited space although Barnes Brinkcraft is not so much of a sardine tin since the new pontoons were added. Herbert Woods and Richardsons both have large marinas, so you should have no issue with availability any night of the week. Even with those though, when you arrive just check with a member of staff if there's particular quays they want you to avoid. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2019 at 14:14, Broads01 said:

Good advice so far. Wroxham is the trickiest because all the yards have limited space although Barnes Brinkcraft is not so much of a sardine tin since the new pontoons were added. Herbert Woods and Richardsons both have large marinas, so you should have no issue with availability any night of the week. Even with those though, when you arrive just check with a member of staff if there's particular quays they want you to avoid. 

Thanks for all the replies.

I expect we'll be in the Herbert Woods marina at least twice because that's where we're hiring from...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I expect we'll be in the Herbert Woods marina at least twice because that's where we're hiring from...

II have a sneaking suspicion once you`re out and about, Herbert Woods`s yard will be the last place to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

II have a sneaking suspicion once you`re out and about, Herbert Woods`s yard will be the last place to be.

Well given that - for us - it's the end of the line , I'm not expecting to be calling in between the start and finish either.

• Like 1

Unless you have a dog with you, don’t forget you can drop your mudweight on a number of the Broads. In the north that can be useful when it is busy, South Walsham, Salhouse, Malthouse (Ranworth) are all lovely areas. In the south use Bargate (Surlingham) or Oulton Broad. On a summer’s evening you can’t beat it. 

30 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Unless you have a dog with you, don’t forget you can drop your mudweight on a number of the Broads. In the north that can be useful when it is busy, South Walsham, Salhouse, Malthouse (Ranworth) are all lovely areas. In the south use Bargate (Surlingham) or Oulton Broad. On a summer’s evening you can’t beat it. 

No dogs, and yes it sounds like a lovely idea.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my limited boating experience has been in Ireland, where we were strictly forbidden from using the anchor except in dire emergency.

So the idea of being on the water with the engine off and nobody having to watch where we're going is very appealing.

And as I'm planning on cooking most nights lack of access to a pub isn't a problem.

Though the idea of spending the night like that does seem a bit scary, especially as we aren't going to have a dinghy with us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Though the idea of spending the night like that does seem a bit scary, especially as we aren't going to have a dinghy with us.

Once you've done it a couple of times you'll wonder why you were ever worried!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coryton said:

No dogs, and yes it sounds like a lovely idea.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my limited boating experience has been in Ireland, where we were strictly forbidden from using the anchor except in dire emergency.

So the idea of being on the water with the engine off and nobody having to watch where we're going is very appealing.

And as I'm planning on cooking most nights lack of access to a pub isn't a problem.

Just go for it, Kron has summed it up. You are never too far away from help if needed, your Skipper’s manual will have emergency numbers in it should they be needed. 

My trusty tide tables indicate that low water slack for your second week are around 8-9am so would be ideal for travelling south. You could return sometime over the following weekend early afternoon. Lots of possibilities. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you really enjoy your holiday and become hooked like so many of us have done. :default_stinky:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vanessan said:

My trusty tide tables indicate that low water slack for your second week are around 8-9am so would be ideal for travelling south. You could return sometime over the following weekend early afternoon. Lots of possibilities. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you really enjoy your holiday and become hooked like so many of us have done. :default_stinky:

Yes the second week might work out better. 

Well, we don't have to choose now - that's one of the nice things about boating...

23 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

£20 a night now for private boats, I guess they don’t want us owners clogging up the yard.

It`s the same at WRC with hook up now. Absloute rip off. We won`t be overnighting there again, or HWs at that price. We had to moor in Pacfics in Loddon two weeks ago yesterday, as Loddon staithe and Pye`s mill, and Chedgrave common for that matter, were all absolutely rammed. Pacifics are £5.00 per night for private boats, and £1.00 for water for ALL boats, hire or private. That`s excellent value as far as i`m concerned.

• Like 4

We are fortune to go twice a year to the Broads and it really is easy to rack up £100 of moorings over those 2 weeks.

It is of course our choice to moor at these locations but we offset it by not eating out as often as we would.

Paying £20 to moor at WRC makes it an expensive meal or indeed swim!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Paying £20 to moor at WRC makes it an expensive meal or indeed swim!

Isn't it £12?

On that note, does anyone know if the basin is open again? They were doing extensive works to the moorings in May as I think the marshes are too wet in winter to get the work done (the digger would sink!).

When I was there the river front was still a lot of earth works (don't know what they are doing with that bit) but the inside of the basin now has a floating pontoon with electric and water points. It was only being used for alongside mooring at the time, but this was the weekend of the swim!

Isn't it £12?
On that note, does anyone know if the basin is open again? They were doing extensive works to the moorings in May as I think the marshes are too wet in winter to get the work done (the digger would sink!).

Looking at these posts it looks like £12 without electric but perhaps £20 with electric?

Not been there this year so only going on the info posted!

• Sad 1

I fail to understand how you can do that "easily". It means you spend an average of £7 each night !!!

Go for a week South and overnight at the Yachtstation, then a night at Oulton, then Beccles, overnight WRC then up to Norwich for the night. Then back through Breydon and stop in Horning on the opposite side of the river and for the last night Salhouse.

Although to be fair now we have moved Thunder North we are yet to get back to the Yacht Stations.