Hello From The Broads Authority

Hello everyone,

We just wanted to announce that we've managed to get an account sorted on the forum now. Thank you to the administrators for helping get everything approved. We're looking forward to getting involved with more discussions on here and engaging with forum members on topics related to the Broads.

If you have any non-urgent questions or issues that you would like to bring to our attention please either mention us (using the @ function) or drop us a private message.

For an urgent response we'd still recommend either giving us a call on 01603 610734 or sending us a message via our contact form as these will be dealt with using the official channels.

Our account will primarily be monitored by our small communications team, however advice and guidance from other members of staff across departments will be sought and relayed as necessary. We are on here to help and advise where necessary, rather than tolerating abuse. Moderators have advised us to inform them of any incidents and they will be dealt with through the regular forum protocol.

Finally, please bear with us if answers or input takes longer than expected as we won't be monitoring the account on a constant basis. We'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Tom

:default_sailing:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

Hopefully we`ll be able to have some meaningful and constructive discussions / conversations on here?.  I think it`s fair to say the BA and the public need to engage more to make the relationship between both parties more understandable, harmonious and agreeable.

I hope nobody thinks i`m being offhand, i`m not trying to be, i`m trying to be polite.

26 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hopefully we`ll be able to have some meaningful and constructive discussions / conversations on here?.  I think it`s fair to say the BA and the public need to engage more to make the relationship between both parties more understandable, harmonious and agreeable.

I think this has been covered on the ‘Spirit of Breydon on the move’ thread. 

• Like 1

Hi @stumpy

The reception number (quoted in the OP) is manned 9-5 Monday to Friday and is the best one for general queries.

If you have queries on navigation, safety or are reporting incidents please use the River Control one on 01603 756056 or VHF channel 12 (manned between the hours of 9am and 6pm in summer, 9am and 5pm in winter).

For emergencies outside of this time please contact BroadsBeat or the Coastguard on 999.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Hi [mention=26]stumpy[/mention]
The reception number (quoted in the OP) is manned 9-5 Monday to Friday and is the best one for general queries.
If you have queries on navigation, safety or are reporting incidents please use the River Control one on 01603 756056 or VHF channel 12 (manned between the hours of 9am and 6pm in summer, 9am and 5pm in winter).
For emergencies outside of this time please contact BroadsBeat or the Coastguard on 999.
Tom
Tom is vhf really monitored? Is it rangers who monitor or are there base receiving stations about? Surely due to the varse distances and limited staff on the ground vhf doesn't quite work.. but maybe nicer to report things using it if so.. we all know how bad mobile signals are on the broads.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

Tom is vhf really monitored? Is it rangers who monitor or are there base receiving stations about? Surely due to the varse distances and limited staff on the ground vhf doesn't quite work.. but maybe nicer to report things using it if so.. we all know how bad mobile signals are on the broads.

Hi JawsOrca, I've just had another chat with Control and VHF12 is definitely monitored but only in control. I was informed that we much prefer people to call in using the phone number provided as there's often a lot of discussion between incoming sea vessels and the port in Yarmouth which makes it hard to pick up other messages.

Thanks for checking and coming back Tom. As i say id find it useful to talk on the vhf other than phone.. phone signals are bad in places and it would be good to reach a ranger via the radio or at least have that second contact. Whist id question again how far vhf signals travel.. and id be very surprised if i could recieve yarmouth traffic coms from the top of the ant? If so then perhaps another channel could be selected?? I did ask a ranger before if they have a channel and was told that they arent allowed to communicate via vhf with non ba craft?? I guess the rangers dont want to be pestered but surely thats part of the task??

Tom, Slutterns Dyke at Oulton Broad was last dredged back in 2013 if my memory serves me well. If nothing else it now needs a weed & reed cutter being now too narrow to use oars. We went round it in a dory today and had to clear the prop of weed several times. Trudi Wakelin was well aware of the problems which apparently, in part, date back to the last time it was dredged.  You guys might know it better as Sluttons Dyke. Steve the local Ranger is also aware of the problems as well as the attractions of this charming back water that dates back at least to the creation of the Lowestoft to Norwich Navigation.