The Natives Are Revolting!

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Because you have to then buy fuel which involves distance risk. Buy more than £30 worth and you have to touch the pad.

Lots of places now the limit from 1st of April is £45

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Why shouldn't people drive for more than 10 minutes given that in a car you can neither be infected by nor infect anyone?

Easy answer.  The more folk drive the more likely there will be accidents.  That puts a demand on limited resources of the ambulance services and the NHS

It's in plain English and is not hard to understand, it's an instruction by our government not a request  - Stay at home

Griff

I agree with you.

Unless you are a multi millionaire, and if you test positive, you can travel 600 miles to one of your second homes.

that's absolutely acceptable.

• Like 1

Lots of places now the limit from 1st of April is £45

Correct - but that still involves handling the pump nozzle / doors in / out of the kiosk - Gloves help but then the 2m rule has to be followed, plus the risk of accidents whilst driving and of course having to break the Stay at Home instruction

Griff

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Easy answer.  The more folk drive the more likely there will be accidents.  That puts a demand on limited resources of the ambulance services and the NHS

The only thing I have noticed is that the traffic accidents dont seem to be decreasing, on the radio this morning were the normal announcements of road closures due to accidents, overturned lorries etc, it just begs the question, with a lot less vehicles on the roads, why havent the accidents dropped? or is it just that those still on the roads (essential services and workers) are driving in a less safe manner due to the decrease in vehicles on the road?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grendel said:

The only thing I have noticed is that the traffic accidents dont seem to be decreasing

That's interesting, I remember after wearing seat belts became mandatory there was an increase in serious accidents that was put down to a false sense of security among some drivers

I filled up the day before lockdown, and had to drive the 124 miles to and from work that day, I think I may have got the car to 140 miles now with trips shopping, that leaves me over 300 miles in the tank before I need to fill again (actually it leaves me a lot more but I dont like dropping below about half a tank.)

50 minutes ago, floydraser said:

And that's plenty; £1.02 petrol/£1.08 diesel last night at Asda Leicester.

So annoying when with no where to go you cannot take advantage. By the time we can, the price will be rising again.

So how long before we hear about a fire in some Darwin Award nominee's back garden because they have been purchasing and storing petrol or diesel because it is cheap!

12 hours ago, floydraser said:

Because you have to then buy fuel which involves distance risk. Buy more than £30 worth and you have to touch the pad.

Tesco and Sainsbury's you can pay by card at ta pump! 

And if ya use the glove supplied for diesel pump ya want even have ta touch gun! NO CONTACT!!!

21 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

So how long before we hear about a fire in some Darwin Award nominee's back garden because they have been purchasing and storing petrol or diesel because it is cheap!

Bad idea for petrol, but a good idea for diesel. Stored outside, diesel is pretty safe!

7 hours ago, grendel said:

The only thing I have noticed is that the traffic accidents dont seem to be decreasing, on the radio this morning were the normal announcements of road closures due to accidents, overturned lorries etc, it just begs the question, with a lot less vehicles on the roads, why havent the accidents dropped? or is it just that those still on the roads (essential services and workers) are driving in a less safe manner due to the decrease in vehicles on the road?

I thought it was just my imagination many with lorries involved and at night - wonder if they are over doing it with the extended driving permitted hours - maybe now the panic buying is over this should be rescinded. Wonder if they are skimping maintenance too as seem a lot of vehicle fires too 

• Like 1

When we drove down to Bournemouth last Saturday to pick up our Alec from Uni Graham insisted on putting our Satnav on to warn us of potential hold ups. Given how quiet the M1 was I queried why he thought it would be necessary. Apparently, just the day before a few lanes had been closed due to a pile up. I’m pretty sure that drivers either think they can now treat the motorway like a race track or just think they can relax and be less vigilant. There were a couple instances where cars whizzed at speed passing us on an outside lane only the cut across suddenly in front to get off the road/motorway to a parking bay/services. Why? Other than us there was hardly any traffic. Mad!

13 hours ago, YnysMon said:

When we drove down to Bournemouth last Saturday to pick up our Alec from Uni Graham insisted on putting our Satnav on to warn us of potential hold ups. Given how quiet the M1 was I queried why he thought it would be necessary. Apparently, just the day before a few lanes had been closed due to a pile up. I’m pretty sure that drivers either think they can now treat the motorway like a race track or just think they can relax and be less vigilant. There were a couple instances where cars whizzed at speed passing us on an outside lane only the cut across suddenly in front to get off the road/motorway to a parking bay/services. Why? Other than us there was hardly any traffic. Mad!

I can only assume you don't often use motorways - or the A47  Southern bypass  :default_biggrin:  :default_biggrin:  :default_biggrin:

20 hours ago, YnysMon said:

There were a couple instances where cars whizzed at speed passing us on an outside lane only the cut across suddenly in front to get off the road/motorway to a parking bay/services. Why?

driving too fast in the outside lane and slavishly following their sat nav, which quite often only give the final warning as you hit the end of the slip lane to turn off- cue panic manouvre

On 09/04/2020 at 18:32, ScrumpyCheddar said:

My son sent me this of weymouth sea front... 

A187E23A-6D58-4791-A551-B357464D1F76.jpeg

Just read a press report from Weymouth where the people who frequent the beachside benches & shelters have been put up in a hotel on the outskirts of town where they are creating mayhem and are being moved on yet again!

11 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Just read a press report from Weymouth where the people who frequent the beachside benches & shelters have been put up in a hotel on the outskirts of town where they are creating mayhem and are being moved on yet again!

I take this to refer to otherwise homeless folk rather than tourists? Don't know that I'd appreciate being holed up in an unfamiliar hotel with nothing to do.

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I take this to refer to otherwise homeless folk rather than tourists? Don't know that I'd appreciate being holed up in an unfamiliar hotel with nothing to do.

Norwich have managed to house all the rough sleepers. St Martins have an Amazon wishlit which includes things to keep them occupied

https://stmartinshousing.org.uk/supporting-homeless-people-during-the-virus-outbreak/

Link to wishlist is at the bottom of that page :)

• Like 1