Racism And The Colston Statue

Poppy

4 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

What are they protesting About ... It didn’t happen over here... I’m not Racist.. But it was in the USA..  yes it was bang out of order and the police officers are being dealt with... But why protest over here are system is balanced...  No one protested over poor British soldier Lee Rigby who was hacked to death in the street,...

Now all these protesters who are breaking the law who’ve been told to stay at home who are carrying on and stuff the coronavirus spreading because they want to kick off..  Dam right selfish.. They should respect the people in our own country who’s died from the virus And stay at home... And not jumping on the band wagon of a world wide media muppet show... 

Joy Gardner died in police custody 27 years ago.  Three of the police officers involved stood trial for Gardner's manslaughter, but were acquitted.

Racial injustice is NOT just America’s problem.

We must listen more, learn more, and most of all, do more.

Black lives matter everywhere. And so do white lives. In fact ALL lives matter !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Joy_Gardner

• Like 6

Yes all lives matter irrespective of colour , creed or religion .

Sadly racism happens and it happens far to often and not just with whites being the protagonists.

For racism to stand a chance of being eradicated then the populous of all races will have to be more accommodating and accepting to all.

Little has been said of institutions such as  for example M.O.B.O ( Music of Black Origin) which I personally have nothing against but could you imagine the uproar if a foundation for M.O.W.O was started .

Equality is an ideal and for it to happen all sides have to be more accepting .

• Like 4

With the numbers involved in demonstrations in the US, UK, Australia and in Europe, we’ll be extremely lucky to avoid a substantial increase in virus cases. Social distancing has gone out of the window but at least a lot of them were wearing face masks! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

With the numbers involved in demonstrations in the US, UK, Australia and in Europe, we’ll be extremely lucky to avoid a substantial increase in virus cases. Social distancing has gone out of the window but at least a lot of them were wearing face masks! 

And the ones who are not wearing masks and social distancing... 

A very Hypercritical picture here.... Holding placards with save lives... They might as well hold up a sign saying I have no respect for anyone.. and I don’t care about anyone’s lives... who cares how many people have died from Covid 19 Makes me sick of there utter selfishness..  All those front line NHS staff and care staff must feel absolutely gutted seeing this.. 

AEA1521E-C55C-4425-8A46-BC602516CCD6.png

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

What are they protesting About ... It didn’t happen over here... I’m not Racist.. But it was in the USA..  yes it was bang out of order and the police officers are being dealt with... But why protest over here are system is balanced...  . 

I am almost lost for words.

• Like 6

Scrumpy - how do you know that some of those very protesters are NOT NHS or care home workers? Would that not rather spoil the point you seem to be trying to make? 

As has been said before, a picture can tell a thousand tales... !

• Like 4

I've tried to steer a diplomatic course through this BLM discussion.

Racism and in fact all forms of bigotry is based on ignorance and the manipulation of the ignorant.

To label any group of people by a single trait (in the widest sense of the word) and attributing a whole set of attributes to them because of that label is bigotry. I stand against it in all it's forms.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've tried to steer a diplomatic course through this BLM discussion.

Racism and in fact all forms of bigotry is based on ignorance and the manipulation of the ignorant.

To label any group of people by a single trait (in the widest sense of the word) and attributing a whole set of attributes to them because of that label is bigotry. I stand against it in all it's forms.

Whenever I see or hear 'I'm not racist but'....  it immediately tells me something ! :default_mellow:

• Like 1

Looking at the protests going on worldwide which in no way could be construed as peaceful protests brings to mind an old saying 

“fighting for peace is akin to f***ing for virginity”

great great men such as Ghandi and Mandella achieved much through peace , and change which has lasted, it is saddening to see so little has been learned by their examples 

• Like 1

it does strike me, all other considerations put to one side that if you look closely at the picture, they are actually spaced apart in small groups, of course the picture has been taken in such a way that it doesnt highlight this, but look closely and you can see the groups, maybe some of the spacing isnt 2m, but in most cases its 1.5m.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Looking at the protests going on worldwide which in no way could be construed as peaceful protests brings to mind an old saying 

“fighting for peace is akin to f***ing for virginity”

great great men such as Ghandi and Mandella achieved much through peace , and change which has lasted, it is saddening to see so little has been learned by their examples 

Mandela was locked up because he would not renounce violence. He became a great force for peace and earned the respect we now all have for him but nothing is ever all black or white!

• Like 3

I didn't want to make that point about social distancing as well but to me many seemed to be adhering to the rules adopted almost all over the world - except here!  Add to that and they also outside.......! 

Given that almost 1.2 million people work for the NHS, then I would almost guarantee some were amongst the crowds - although of course I don't actually know that....!

• Like 1

I have been to quite a few demonstrations (working for stage and sound management) including anti war demo's, anti Government demos, and saving a London hospital (Whittingtons) and I have noticed the same demonstrators marching for any and every demo going.

It is my suspicion that the same thing is happening regarding the fireworks. There is a militant group who go to any demo they can, just to cause trouble. Wearing masks must be a Godsend for them.

• Like 5

Think you've hit the nail on the head.Pretty sure that was the case last year with climate protesters.The problem  then they stir up others.I also think many join in because  they think they have to be there,to be in the club.I understand  the reasoning behind these protests, but feel strongly  this is not the time in the middle of this dreadful virus  still killing many,putting  not only there lives and others at risk.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have noticed the same demonstrators marching for any and every demo going.

Very true, professional demonstrators who will use any bandwagon to promote civil unrest. A nuisance at any time but right now potentially very dangerous. Send in the water cannon and disperse these morons.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Not sure why some protesters see fit to throw fireworks around. Particularly when there are horses who don’t have a choice about being there. How would they like a distress flare landing in their camp?

Whilst I fully agree, these police horses and dogs have been through such things as part of their training so they are somewhat prepared for such things.

5 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Not the horses, the ones who see fit to throw missiles, maybe there isn't a word for them.

Quite agree, thought you meant all the protesters!

Every time there is any kind of protest it starts peaceful with the genuine people and then sooner or later rent-a-mob arrive who only want to attack the police. They ruin everything!

• Like 3

I've been on a couple of protests, in my day, about things I have felt passionately enough to get up at 4am for the drive into Leicester, board the specially organised coach, stop at Newport Pagnell for coffee and a wee, get dumped off the coach, funnily enough usually around Speaker's Corner or just across Hyde Park somewhere. Get your banner out of the coach, march your march, chant your quirky slogans if you wish - I was never really the vocal type. Down Park Lane, they were always a bit touchy about you going up Constitution Hill, didn't want you in front of Buck House so it was round the back, Grosvenor Place and down towards Vauxhall Bridge then along the embankment to the Palace of Westminster. There was never a need for mounted Police, usually there was a good rapport with the "lemon jackets" as we called them, a banter and a bit of a laugh. 

Usually you were allowed along Abingdon St in front of Westminster, of course there were none of the big black anti terrorist barriers then, and a friendly Member of the house would normally come and thank you. I met Betty Boothroyd once when she was speaker in such a manner, she accompanied our Local MP to receive a petition. Then you found the nearest litter bin for your banner, off to Victoria Tower gardens or some other suitable place for a picnic, then out to the west end for a bit of shopping and back on the bus at 6:00pm. 

The Police were never aggressive towards us, and I don't believe they are to anyone else who does not themselves display aggression. All this need to hurl bricks and other missiles (and take a walk around London, you don't find bricks lying in the street waiting for somebody to lob them at the nearest copper, they have been carried in deliberately), that's not protesting, that is organised militant aggression, to me one step short of terrorism and it must be repelled, it must be struck down, and we must use whatever means necessary to do so. The sad thing of course is that many innocent, if perhaps somewhat gullible people get caught up in all of this.

I don't give a monkey's about those lefties who want to start crying Police State and such things. The way to deal with these people is water cannon, tear gas if needs be. It's snatch squads, be they police or military units taking out the real villains. A few Army land rovers and Squaddies with SA80's hanging around might make people think twice before deciding to play the hero. CCTV inevitably identifies the ring leaders, normally before anything even kicks off. They are usually well known to the forces of law and order and are often found standing at the back as all cowards do, inciting others to violence. Identify them, snatch them out, put them in court and send them down. Take them off our streets and give those streets back to the law biding majority. 

Sorry it turned into a rant, but I see it this way. These thugs and their organised gangs intent on causing civil unrest and anti establishment violence threaten the free right of us all to protest in a peaceful and proper manner. It is you and I they threaten, not the establishment. 

• Like 9