Going Back To Hiring Old Days

Andrewcook

Hi all Forum Members as Freedom  Boat Yard is going I'm very sorry to know but will there will be more to follow? As way back in the Sixties not many Yards at that time for Hiring Boating Holidays and had to Scrambled  to getting One for Hire for a Week or Two With Blake's or Hoseasons . So what does the Future holds for the Boating Industries plus Tourism and Employment for the People in around the Broads? As it won't be the same I think? 

Personally, I think intelligent human beings have got to somehow return to living with each other in public without poking each other with a long pole to see if they are far enough apart!

That may seem a flippant answer to a genuine and most valid question but I think this is really what the whole thing will depend on.  Our own future inter-active public behaviour.

• Like 6

I think that is a question beyond the Wisdom of Solomon. The holiday industry in all it's forms is totally dependent on disposable income. How much of that will be around is the $64K question that everyone in the country wants to know.

What I am certain of is:- There will be many many fewer people putting £2.5K on plastic for a week on a top end cruiser or two weeks on a lesser one and paying it off over the following year.

For at least the next year the clever money will reduce their overall debt, as long as they are still earning, and not adding to it.

• Like 1

I see it slightly differently, true people will want cheaper holidays, but they will still want holidays as a break away. less will be able to afford foreign holidays, ( even if they do stop the 14 days quarantine following) and will look to home grown holidays.

Some wont be able to afford a holiday but others will be looking to holidays in this country, i anticipate an increase in camping and caravanning holidays, and hope that extends to boating too.

• Like 1

In speaking to people, reading etc. It seems to me that this lockdown has made people, (probably not so much the up to 30s) a lot more risk averse with regards to their financial standing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

I see it slightly differently, true people will want cheaper holidays, but they will still want holidays as a break away. less will be able to afford foreign holidays, ( even if they do stop the 14 days quarantine following) and will look to home grown holidays.

Some wont be able to afford a holiday but others will be looking to holidays in this country, i anticipate an increase in camping and caravanning holidays, and hope that extends to boating too.

The growth of the foreign holiday business has been driven (in my opinion) by the fact that families can get better value with a better chance of seeing the sun by going overseas.  We went to France and Italy by car for 12 consecutive holidays for reason of cost, through Eurocamp, due to more competitive pricing.  For example in 2016, we spent two weeks at a caravan park in Provence in the summer including putting the car on the train to cross the channel for less than £850.  Obviously, the cost of food and petrol was on top, but compare that with the cost of one week on a premium cruiser and the it is easy to see the attraction of going abroad.

The problem is that holiday operators take advantage of families with children and increase their prices dramatically through school holidays.  I get why, but for many, this is prohibitive.  The same is true of British campsites unfortunately.  We were due to go to Cornwall for the week commencing 29th June, which is now cancelled, but the cost of the accommodation for seven nights was £550, including the saving for going Monday to Monday.

Camping is not for everyone and getting all the necessary equipment is not cheap either.  I foresee tough times ahead for UK tourism and as the coming recession bites and more folk sadly lose their jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Personally, I think intelligent human beings have got to somehow return to living with each other in public without poking each other with a long pole to see if they are far enough apart!

The fact is that today, the 15th June, as regulations stand, it is impossible to run a hire boat business or holiday accommodation..

The reason for this is that neither the government or even the public itself, are prepared to allow each other to behave in public in anything other than mutual distrust of each other. Unless they are setting out to pull down statues. The reasons for that may be scientifically valid (note may be) and I am not knocking anyone who has decided to keep well out of the way in view of their own personal circumstances. e.g. self isolation.

But the fact remains that tourism and especially boat hiring, on the Broads, is not practical under these circumstances. So unless and until our behaviour towards each other can be persuaded to return to what we used to call normal, then Broads tourism will never be the same again since the seasonal tourist businesses will no longer be in business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi all Forum Members as Freedom  Boat Yard is going I'm very sorry to know but will there will be more to follow? As way back in the Sixties not many Yards at that time for Hiring Boating Holidays and had to Scrambled  to getting One for Hire for a Week or Two With Blake's or Hoseasons . So what does the Future holds for the Boating Industries plus Tourism and Employment for the People in around the Broads? As it won't be the same I think? 

Andrew, I am not sure that we know for sure that Freedom is closing, he hasnt actually said that, all we really know is that he is selling some boats from one part of his business, times will be tough, and we may see more boatyards doing the same and reducing overheads, but until an official announcement is made we shouldnt assume anything.

• Like 7

The reduction from 2m to 1m will reportedly make a big difference to hospitality and holiday businesses and it seems that is the next move on the cards.

I'm not sure if the science completely supports it but the economic argument for it is clear. This could be a step towards what Vaughan was saying about living closer to each other and could be the step that the whole economy needs. Not a decision I would like to make though!

The holy grail is a vaccine I'm sure, it would save lives and livelihoods, the golden bullet!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray said:

The reduction from 2m to 1m will reportedly make a big difference to hospitality and holiday businesses and it seems that is the next move on the cards.

I'm not sure if the science completely supports it but the economic argument for it is clear. This could be a step towards what Vaughan was saying about living closer to each other and could be the step that the whole economy needs. Not a decision I would like to make though!

The holy grail is a vaccine I'm sure, it would save lives and livelihoods, the golden bullet!

Beware of vaccines being the golden bullet  for most it will be, but as a kid I had the 3 injections against POLIO but I still got it.

Yes it was a milder case otherwise I would have been in an ironlung.

I have never had the flu innoculation, I can't think why.

paul

PS I will try the covid vaccine though.

• Like 1

Just now, chameleon said:

my surgery ring me every year inviting me to have the flu jab, tried it once, so ill no way again

I get a mild reaction, haven't bothered the last 2 years but I may do it this year!

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

Flu vaccines are notorious for not working as they have to guess which strain is most likely and they then find its not the right one!!

And you think I am joking!!!!!!

The latest vaccines are actually broad spectrum vaccines and are very close to becoming universal. It is all a bit more scientific than guess work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

Andrew, I am not sure that we know for sure that Freedom is closing, he hasnt actually said that, all we really know is that he is selling some boats from one part of his business, times will be tough, and we may see more boatyards doing the same and reducing overheads, but until an official announcement is made we shouldnt assume anything.

Alas, Andy has since confirmed his intentions on the "Day Boats for Sale" thread. He did add "We're not closed yet" but I get the impression he's not about to change his mind.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The growth of the foreign holiday business has been driven (in my opinion) by the fact that families can get better value with a better chance of seeing the sun by going overseas.  We went to France and Italy by car for 12 consecutive holidays for reason of cost, through Eurocamp, due to more competitive pricing.  For example in 2016, we spent two weeks at a caravan park in Provence in the summer including putting the car on the train to cross the channel for less than £850.  Obviously, the cost of food and petrol was on top, but compare that with the cost of one week on a premium cruiser and the it is easy to see the attraction of going abroad.

The problem is that holiday operators take advantage of families with children and increase their prices dramatically through school holidays.  I get why, but for many, this is prohibitive.  The same is true of British campsites unfortunately.  We were due to go to Cornwall for the week commencing 29th June, which is now cancelled, but the cost of the accommodation for seven nights was £550, including the saving for going Monday to Monday.

Camping is not for everyone and getting all the necessary equipment is not cheap either.  I foresee tough times ahead for UK tourism and as the coming recession bites and more folk sadly lose their jobs.

I certainly think that the staycation will be popular this year while Covid 19 is still fresh in peoples memories but next year it will be back to business as usual.

You only have to look at the number of people buying boats at the minute to see that staying at home is going to be popular this summer. Most of these will be for sale again next year when people have had enough of the UK weather and boating!

3 hours ago, Puddleduck2 said:

Please can we go back to holidays at home and not stacations!

"Holiday at Home" to me, means that. Staying at home and having days out. Holidaying in the UK is probably a better description.

I was offered a free flu vaccine at the beginning of this year, seeing as it was the famous 'Owt for nowt' I gratefully accepted.  Didn't do me any harm and never felt even a tadette off colour, never caught the flu either so I will probably have it again if it's offered.   I will also accept the covid vaccine if I'm offered it

Griff

• Like 1