Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

Have been pas5 The Beauchamp Arms several times over the past few weeks and the ground floor windows are boarded up, the beer garden (terrace) out front had a fine crop of weeds growing up from between the slabs and some Heras fencing has been erected out front.

Any ideas?

73CE39F6-20A1-45F0-9203-CDAD46958D9F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they have hired a team of avantgarde designers and architects to design a landmark pub that blends River and sky through a bold hue of blue capturing a certain maritime spirit while reflecting c

This is very sad for me personally as it used to be one of my parents' favourite pubs, so I spent quite a lot of my youth there!  A mis-spent youth, you may say! The south rivers are a lovely pla

Pictured in happier days including the famous (or infamous) bouncy castle. 

Posted Images

Can't get the link to work but bear in mind who owns it. The lockdown could be a good excuse to prove (allegedly) it's not viable as a pub. Most (not all) pubs can be viable in the right hands and when there is a genuine will to succeed. 

Watch this space. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very sad for me personally as it used to be one of my parents' favourite pubs, so I spent quite a lot of my youth there!  A mis-spent youth, you may say!

The south rivers are a lovely place to cruise but there are not a lot of overnight moorings left these days and pubs such as this should remain as important "destinations" for an overnight stay and a good meal.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

The link doesn't work, but if you go to Rightmove and search on Buckenham and adjust the filer to within 1 mile you will find the listing that Wherrynice is referring to. 

The listing is for a section of mooring downstream from The Beauchamp Arms and I'm not sure, but don't think it belongs to the pub.

The pub I believe owns the moorings directly outside and some upstream which are rented annually as private moorings. There is no listing for the pub itself, or the moorings upstream from the pub.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This sounds like the land owned by the Wright family, local farmers, who host the Buckenham sailing club and its moorings. They also have a small boatyard there where Paul Wright was a well known builder of racing dinghies.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I can’t remember ever stopping there, certainly not In the last 33 years since the wife and I have been holidaying on the Broads together.  The moorings directly outside seem to used for a couple of liveaboards and the ones upstream are in extremely poor condition.  I don’t know what it is about the place, but to me, it seems very uninviting.

It must surely have potential in the right hands and given a facelift, especially as it appears to have road access, too.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only stopped their four or five times over the years and only once overnight on the upstream moorings - and got hung up.

It was probably a combination of lack of mooring posts and inexperience about springs; although on a hire boat we would have only had three ropes to play with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The place has been a mess for years,Peter's correct think he also owns something  in Loddon.Not sure want he gains out of owning property, but unable to make a good going concern. Its very true the southern  broads needs more good visitor moorings

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing a bouncy castle being accidentally launched from  the Beauchamp Arms a number of years ago. The wind got under it and blew it into the river!

We've stopped there once or twice, quite a handy spot after leaving Brundall late and was considering it for out first night in August as we can't leave the yard until 5pm, so I do hope it's still useable. There seem to be less and less places to moor down south :default_sad:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . quite a handy spot after leaving Brundall late and was considering it for out first night in August as we can't leave the yard until 5pm, so I do hope it's still useable. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I wouldn’t bother even considering it.  What used to be moorings upstream are now overgrown and the quay heading is in very poor state of repair.  Moorings at Rockland, Short Dyke or Langley Dyke would be infinitely preferable.  Failing that, phone The Ferry House at Surlingham and book a mooring there.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I wouldn’t bother even considering it.  What used to be moorings upstream are now overgrown and the quay heading is in very poor state of repair.  Moorings at Rockland, Short Dyke or Langley Dyke would be infinitely preferable.  Failing that, phone The Ferry House at Surlingham and book a mooring there.

Oh really? That's sad to hear. Beauchamp was more of a contingency than a first preference, it all depends on what time we leave the yard (in the same email I've been told not to arrive before 5pm, but also not to arrive any later than 4pm, although I suspect 5pm is the correct timing). Surlingham the wrong direction possibly, and my other half doesn't really like it there (Lord only knows why though). If we can get away early enough I'm still going to try to Loddon or Pye's Mill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We stopped there last year in September, we were the only boat and customers but received a warm welcome and they were happy to cook for us. Our dog was welcome and the music playing was first class.

Good food, couple of pints and we noted it for future visits to the South as we liked it so much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

 

I remember seeing a bouncy castle being accidentally launched from  the Beauchamp Arms a number of years ago. The wind got under it and blew it into the river!

 

I hope there was nobody on it at the time. Or maybe someone thought it was a fancy dinghy! 
I was going to suggest Cantley too as it’s not that much further on from Langley Dyke and there’s a pub. However, I believe Vagabond is still there and probably taking up a substantial part of the moorings! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I hope there was nobody on it at the time. Or maybe someone thought it was a fancy dinghy! 
I was going to suggest Cantley too as it’s not that much further on from Langley Dyke and there’s a pub. However, I believe Vagabond is still there and probably taking up a substantial part of the moorings! 

Crikey, is that the floating restaurant?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Crikey, is that the floating restaurant?!

Yes, it is. I understand it will be towed to Great Yarmouth where her seaworthiness will be inspected before being allowed to pass through Yarmouth. I’m not sure how up to date the info is but I believe I saw a post somewhere recently that said she was still there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Personally, I can’t remember ever stopping there, certainly not In the last 33 years since the wife and I have been holidaying on the Broads together.  The moorings directly outside seem to used for a couple of liveaboards and the ones upstream are in extremely poor condition.  I don’t know what it is about the place, but to me, it seems very uninviting.

It must surely have potential in the right hands and given a facelift, especially as it appears to have road access, too.

You want to go there by road,    when you get there  you feel like saying,  well you really would have to want to arrive here.

In the photo one of the upstairs windows is open.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Yes, it is. I understand it will be towed to Great Yarmouth where her seaworthiness will be inspected before being allowed to pass through Yarmouth. I’m not sure how up to date the info is but I believe I saw a post somewhere recently that said she was still there. 

Itv was when we went past the weekend before last.  Another eyesore!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

It must surely have potential in the right hands and given a facelift, especially as it appears to have road access, too.

The road access is nothing more than a dirt track, okay during the summer, a quagmire during a wet winter. In its prime it must have been a magnificent building, its one time splendour now deeply tarnished. 

I'm sure that it could have a future, with a few attitude changes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.