Grendels Deferred May Broads Holiday

grendel

12 minutes ago, grendel said:

breakfast done, now do i make an early start and putter down river in the morning sun, at least as far as wroxham, or do i hang on for a more civilised hour- easy choice, the rivers early morning are beautiful.

Hello grendel,

Slipping away quietly in the early morning mist be it to catch an early morning tide or because you can sleep no longer in. The rivers are alive with life around you and the gentle lap of the water lulls you into almost a time that has been forgotten. Mornings and dusk possibly the best times on the rivers.

Regards

Alan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

steady 3mph all the way, currently moored up at hoveton viaduct for a comfort break and a coffee, i have a few options in mind for today, lets see if any are available, setting up a couple of extra cameras for wroxham bridge, not sure what the clearance is like yet, but it will be enough (enough for the cameras too, i dont know as i have one sticking up 6" off the side of the cabin roof

• Like 2

through wroxham bridge, i went downstream just a short way and managed to nab the small mooring on the river side of wroxham broad, just where i had hoped to end up, i will now spend today boat watching, quiet it wont be (through the day as there will be boats passing, but i will be able to wave at all of them.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, grendel said:

i will now spend today boat watching

You'll see some sights for sure! Enjoy. 

Re Alan's comment - we always set off early, magical time and it's much quieter when most folks are in bed or running the engine for a shower :default_norty:

• Like 3

I have seen it all today, and just passed me a few seconds back people fishing from both sides of a cruiser as they went down the river. now I am not a fisherman, but I know this isnt allowed, No I didnt take a picture or see the boat name. and if I did TOS says I cant tell anyway.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

When it comes to boat names I just saw the best, star oars, a new rope

Pales into insignificance when compared to a boat on sale at NYA last year - Moist Beaver ll.  Makes you wonder what happened to the original.

Interestingly, it was on the market for months, but once the name was removed, it sold quite quickly.

and I have just (while cooking my tea). seen my namsake sailing down the river, a martham june i think, private owned, named Grendel

my tea tonight is a spaghetti bolognaise (half a jar of sauce, half the mince I bought at coltishall, and a packet of easy cook pasta.)

i have had one boat ask if I was going tonight (not on your nelly) they then looked as though they were about to ask to double moor next to me, but they were in a boat twice the size of mine (in all directions) and had second thoughts.

• Like 1

and indeed you did catch me, scared the life out of me thinking you wanted to double up on the mooring with that big beastie of yours, it would have squashed poor Jayne, but no, you had just stopped by to say hello and introduce yourself, good to see you.

this morning as usual up early with the lark, a leisurely morning, with breakfast done it was time to decide what I was doing today, so at about 8.30  headed back up through wroxham bridge and moored at the hoveton viaduct moorings (as close to the viaduct as i could get). waqlked into town and visited Roys, last year they had some nice shorts in my size, this year nothing. a quick visit to roys toy shop was more productive as i managed to pick up a educational construction kit (a crossbow- to go with the ping pong ball throwing catapult that sits on my desk in the office (well sat on my desk in the office, I suspect we wont be allowed such nice things on our desks anymore). it was nice to see everyone wearing masks without having to be asked.

Anyway, by the time i got back to the boat it was raining, Jayne doesnt have wipers, so I spent most of my trip with one half of the windscreen out getting wet, not assisted by passing boats that tipped jayne just enough for a runnel of water to come pouring down off the roof, right onto me. Rain off and on all the way as I came through horning (no space at the staithe) past the turning to ranworth - just before which a cruiser desperately overtook me, I hoped he wasnt gointg to then cut right across in front of me to head to ranworth, fortunately he carried on, the wind also had got up a bit by now, 

I carried on past st Benets, then right down to South Walsham, there were spaces at the mooring along south walsham dyke, and a couple at the staithe, but I ignored those, I remembered a nice little sheltered wild mooring right by the narrow section leading to the inner broad, Now mooring is not allowed in the inner broad, but this is not technically in the inner broad, mudweighted at the front and a rear rope looped around a handy tree at the rear, this is a snug berth for a small boat, and she is pretty well hidden from the outer broad, I first used this self same mooring back in 2010 on my very first trip to the broads, and this is the first chance I have had to return here. its on the right as the outer broad enters the narrow section. the normal little bays along the north edge of the outer broad where others mudweight is right in the path of the wind across the broad, here it is sheltered.

so apart from drying out today will be a day of building the crossbow (actually more technically its closer to a ballista)

• Like 5

the other strange observation as i was coming down the dyke was a deer swimming across from one side to the other, it did not appear to be in distress or i might have tried rescuing it and it seemed to know where on the bank it was heading among the roots of a tree.so would have been difficult to get out from there anyway.

• Like 1

Deer often cross the dyke, Gren. Seen them often when we moored at Bondon's, usually as we returned at dusk. On the right bank as you transit the dyke to the broad, we have spotted Chinese water deer a few times.

• Thanks 1

Chinese Water Deer?

the other strange observation as i was coming down the dyke was a deer swimming across from one side to the other, it did not appear to be in distress or i might have tried rescuing it and it seemed to know where on the bank it was heading among the roots of a tree.so would have been difficult to get out from there anyway.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app