It's All Going To The Dogs

17 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Introducing the MK1 Purdey stair stopper (Patent pending)

Its a left over bit of gloss white UPVC ceiling board (I fit loads of this gear to bathroom ceilings) with some pipe insulation on the ends.  It can be raised / lowered, easily removed / inserted and will not damage the decor 

This will stay in place whenever she is up and about until she gets the idea that the upstairs is out of bounds

Griff

BA NBN 875.jpg

Bet she went Barking mad at that!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The mayhem continues daily.

The hooligan AKA Purdey has mastered the MK1 Purdey stair stopper.  That didn't last long.  The MK1A will be commissioned this coming weekend.

T'was bonfire night up here this evening as I suspect it was everywhere else to.

Ideal opportunity to introduce her to the noise and sights of fireworks in our back garden (She is still not allowed out yet)  I was very pleased with her.  She also met her first pheasants

Griff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that - brings back many happy memories!

In our family we trained gun dogs using the words "thank you" when they retrieved a bird and gave it into your hand.

We had a Yellow Lab who would carry an egg or a tomato without breaking them.  My mother used to keep chickens in the woods on the island and when I went to get the eggs, the dog would insist on carrying one all the way back.  You had to have your hand ready to catch it though, for as soon as you said thank you, she dropped it on the floor!

• Like 3

My wife taught our collie to shake my wallet open  and then take the notes to her and swap them for dog biscuits! (Money had a certain smell until this new plastic rubbish).

It got so expensive I ended up leaving my wallet in the car overnight.

By the way Griff, stairgates.  We have a couple that we just transfer to whichever doorway we need to exclude the dogs from.

• Haha 1

Dog guards.

When I had a Bearded Collie, I bought one of those for the car.

I fitted it into the hatch, pulled and pulled it stayed pit.

I put the dog in the boot and walked to the drivers door, opened said door and the dog was sat in the seat!

The guard was still in place, unmoved.

paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purdey is now just over three months old.  She has at last been 'Allowed out' since Monday of this week after her final set of inoculations.

She won't as of yet walk on the lead, just flops down and refuses to budge.  Most embarrassing as the first couple of days as I found myself carrying her to the park where she will charge round quite happily but won't stray further than about ten yards from me.  I soon found out she will happily trot alongside you when taking her out for her small twice daily walks with no lead on.  We will both persevere with the lead thing and of course will progress and get better, he says hopefully

T'other day I had to visit daughters (Work related) so took Purdey with me, as I need her to be ok with travelling in cars / vans etc and she needs to get used to it. She appeared round the corner of a settee with one of the grandsons dummies and somehow had it in her mouth correctly, this was not a staged photo

Griff

BA NBN 878.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 5
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

T'other evening on getting home, MrsG declared that miss mischief really is in the doghouse.  MrsG declared that she had been digging in the garden patch she is not allowed in.  MrsG stated that all she could see was the top of a wagging tail with a head popping up now and again like a meerkat.

She's obviously exaggerating I thought to mysen.  That is until I saw the size of the hole and the soil spread all over the decorative gravel.  That's gonna take some cleaning up

Griff

BA NBN 893.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

Some of you really have not got hold of this dog ownership thing have you?

Those of us with experience and wisdom have worked out that the best way to enjoy a dog is to hi-jack someone else's.

20201205_135027.thumb.jpg.013a86fda2976d10e18737b58544856a.jpg

Meet Lucy, our Son's Cocker. The technique is to throw a ball as far as possible to the far side of as many muddy puddles as you can. When you've amused the Grandchildren enough and achieved the colours shown in the pic, you look at the back of your wrist and say, “Good heavens, is that the time?” and hand her back.

Note the mud on her sides where she's wagged: sign of a happy dog. Stand clear when she shakes! :default_biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

The training progresses daily

Today I am now regularly managing to get 100Yds away from her after commanding her to stay before recalling her with the field whistle.  We went a little way into a maize field where she promptly got hersen lost following her nose and various scent trails but not paying attention to my location.  Regular recalls on t whistle got her back to me somewhat mightily relieved she looked too.

She still refuses point blank to 'Do the Toilet' other than in our back garden.  As the time out walks get longer the older she gets, sooner or later she will have to break her duck on this one or burst

A couple of days ago she fell in our river, head under the lot.  She did it all hersen too by engaging in a particularly vigorous session of  'The Zoomies'  getting closer and close to the bank edge, way to much showing off and confidence.  Top speed tight turns, put a offside paw an inch too far out on a particular fast tight turn and in she went.  She immediately discovered she could indeed swim, hauled hersen out then had her very first nose to tail shake followed by a barking session at me whilst I was laughing at her

She is still being very naughty around the house though, MrsG has today consigned one of her combs to the bin as the teeth are now ragged and of various lengths.  Laundry, socks in particular are regularly re-distributed around the house and we seem to be constantly slipper searching too

Griff

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Our previous dog Marvin just wouldn’t relieve himself in our garden, only on walks. He was a rescue dog, so we had no idea whether that was part of his training. Maybe his first owner didn’t have a garden. Anyway, I decided it was down to his cunning plan to make sure he got lots of walks each day.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a laugh that was.

For the second time in my sixty odd years on this planet I have seen a dog running in mid air

The first time was a mongrel cross whippet we had in the late sixties called Bunty.  We was moored up somewhere or t'other side on.  Bunty being small and agile got used to leaping over the side of the wheelhouse / deck in one go and landing on the grass times many.  Dad decided he wanted to fill the fw tank but the hose wouldn't reach as the boat only had the single fill deck fitting on one side, so we turned the boat round by hand on the ropes, no need for the engine so the fw hose then reached.  Nobody thought to inform Bunty dog of this silent manoeuvre.   Bunty hated water, wouldn't paddle in the stuff let alone attempt swimming.  She leapt over the side and whilst airborne realised there was now wet stuff under here instead of terra firma.  Somehow whilst in mid air she managed to turned round and was running flat out back towards the boat.  She never made it of course, hit the water still running, it was hilarious although she was not best pleased.

This morning whilst in our conservatory a large amount of wet heavy melting snow slid off our solar panels / roof and landed with a heavy thump on our conservatory roof (Glass).  Purdey took off and was running whilst in mid air, yet again it was hilarious to see.  Now of course everytime she goes into said conservatory she is creeping in and looking up at the glass roof :default_icon_rolleyes:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We were in between houses and were renting a house from a Farmer friend. It had no central heating and we had a  scatttering of electric fires of various types all over the house, One morning I was sitting  at the dining room table reading the paper and Toby my Cocker Spaniel was by my side. I smelt burning and found he had sat himself too close to the electric fire  and singed his rear end!  Before I could do anything about it he suddenly leapt up and running in mid air for a way hurtled out of the dining room. The odd thing was he never forgot the experience and not only did he never enter that room again he associated the incident with the dining room furniture and would never enter the dining room at our next house either.  A situation that remained for the rest of his life.

Carole