Newbie Broads Boater

Dyer1984

Hi everyone. Wow lots of replies. Only just now had got the chance to sit down and read them all properly and reply. 

Yes we're going during half term week (that's if Boris doesn't lock the country down again). My two girls are 11 and 8 so not too young. Thanks for the many tips and advice. I'll look into booking a table/ mooring at horning and consider giving Yarmouth a miss. Maybe we'll taxi into there from somewhere else. We wanted to visit there to go to the circus at the hypodrome. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

That sounds a good plan (subject to booking) 

You could moor at Acle or even Stracey Arms. Its not far into Yarmouth by Road. 

Don't consider bus or train from Acle as both are a long way from the river (bus passes Stracey Arms (now a religious centre)but do not stop there - Stokesby would be another option & closer to the road to meet a Taxi (by the pub)

• Like 1

Don’t plan. That’s the plan. 
chances are that Horning will be full then what?

we sort of aim for a destination and if say, a gap at Horning, we stop to eat otherwise we got food on board and Wroxham ahead. 
I guess what I’m trying to say, happy stumbling seems to work better than a plan. Many times moorings are full, bad weather, the full English breakfast have delayed things. 
I’d rather wonder and wave vaguely in a direction to go. 
As long as we have eggs and bacon 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Don't consider bus or train from Acle as both are a long way from the river (bus passes Stracey Arms (now a religious centre)but do not stop there - Stokesby would be another option & closer to the road to meet a Taxi (by the pub)

Good point. With children a pick up from Stokesby or the Bridge at Acle would be an option. We've used Our Hire based in Acle several times and always had good service from them.  

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Good point. With children a pick up from Stokesby or the Bridge at Acle would be an option. We've used Our Hire based in Acle several times and always had good service from them.  

There aren't as many moorings at Stokesby as there are at Acle, so if you want to book something in advance that you want to get to by taxi, that sounds like a better option.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

There aren't as many moorings at Stokesby as there are at Acle, so if you want to book something in advance that you want to get to by taxi, that sounds like a better option.

True, Acle would be preferable. Only the public mooring at Stokesby. Apperently a boat moored at the pub a while back, all piled in a taxi and went to the races for the day. The landlady was not impressed. 

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

True, Acle would be preferable. Only the public mooring at Stokesby. Apperently a boat moored at the pub a while back, all piled in a taxi and went to the races for the day. The landlady was not impressed. 

That's probably my biggest gripe with the Broads!

Boats on pub moorings not using the pub!

Not sure I'd want to upset the landlady of the Stokesby Ferry!     :default_wink:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

11 minutes ago, StubbleStag said:

Have I missed something? What about the Glebe Farm moorings?

There are the BA 24 hour moorings, the pub moorings and the Glebe Farm moorings, only the latter is chargeable and somebody from the farm collects payment. 

Guest Jayfire
1 minute ago, vanessan said:

There are the BA 24 hour moorings, the pub moorings and the Glebe Farm moorings, only the latter is chargeable and somebody from the farm collects payment. 

Exactly, why are we making out there aren't many moorings at Stokesby?

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

The landlady was not impressed. 

That was my impression of her, as well, the last time we met, when she threw me off the moorings, for putting my mooring lines on the wrong posts. As I was in company with two other big hire boats, she lost quite a bit of business that night!

Guest Jayfire
9 minutes ago, tim said:

Boats on pub moorings not using the pub!

Not something I've ever been guilty of, hic :default_drinks:

Stracey arms would be best you can always get in there, the guy in the restaurant/cafe does/did a taxi service alternatively ring bus company and find out if they will stop as a request stop at the site, there is a lay by there where it use to stop in the past . John

2 hours ago, tim said:

Boats on pub moorings not using the pub!    :default_wink:

Hully agreed! We once witnessed a 'conversation' between Gus at the New Inn and a crew who, once he'd helped them moor, skulked off to the Chinese and returned with their evening meal. They dined elsewhere!

That’s always our plan get moored before 4pm you should be ok

my cooking skills are limited and it’s Mandys holiday as well, tbf boat galleys aren’t big enough for her creations. 🤣

we always have a couple of tins of something to go with pasta as an emergency but in 10years haven’t had to use them

4 hours ago, stumpy said:

Hully agreed! We once witnessed a 'conversation' between Gus at the New Inn and a crew who, once he'd helped them moor, skulked off to the Chinese and returned with their evening meal. They dined elsewhere!

We’ve booked a mooring in the past there and you had to book a table with the mooring so they couldn’t say they didn’t know

44 minutes ago, Dyer1984 said:

So do the pubs generally take a booking for a table, for the mooring or both if I was to ring up in advance to book? Thanks 

The New Inn has long had this policy but probably the only one that does it this way. Normally you would pay for the mooring itself which may or may not be redeemable against a meal. 

It's always best to ring anyway particularly in the current circumstances. For example the Bridge Inn at Acle was recently asking for advance table bookings for meals. Pubs now have less capacity due to Covid so I would always ring in advance. 

Having said that, please support the pubs! They need us now more than ever. 

• Like 2