Skyhawk Has Moved

Sam

Guest Jayfire
4 hours ago, NeilB said:

I’m moored in Barnes now

Did you ever get in at the Bridge this weekend Neil? I saw you from the beer garden (I know, hard to believe) upping and downing along the river. I was gonna buy you a pint but you never appeared and then I saw you moored on Pedro's later when I left, waved to your son (?) but no sign of you :default_beerchug:

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Did you ever get in at the Bridge this weekend Neil? I saw you from the beer garden (I know, hard to believe) upping and downing along the river. I was gonna buy you a pint but you never appeared and then I saw you moored on Pedro's later when I left, waved to your son (?) but no sign of you :default_beerchug:

I was hoping the pesky day boats moored on the electric point would disappear, naturally they did as soon as I stopped at Pedros !  Batteries were being a bit temperamental so wanted to plug in.

i must have had my head in the bulge or something!

11 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

How do you track somebody down by a photo Sam? That photo was taken in 2006.

I’m a member of the Alphacraft Owners Group as is the owner of StarFire which is moored at Loddon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Alpha Craft had two Alpha 50s in their hire fleet. Mirage and Brabazon. They were 10 Berth. I remember Langford Jillings saying the BA had tried to stop him putting them in his fleet.

I remember them well, forward steer stretched versions of the 44 footers. They must have been a heck of a challenge to manoeuvre in a tight space. I bet stern-on moorings were fun too.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=7325&BoatHistory=12241

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Alpha Craft had two Alpha 50s in their hire fleet. Mirage and Brabazon. They were 10 Berth. I remember Langford Jillings saying the BA had tried to stop him putting them in his fleet.

Perhaps the BA had a point!  That said, perhaps they could have been built and marketed as engineless houseboats. Indeed judging by the number of boats that never, ever leave their moorings there is a huge market out there for static boats. second homes.

I think the BA's vessel dimension byelaws were at least partly in response to those 50 footers, and the 48-foot stretched AF42's at Barnes.

I think they should probably go a step further, though, and state that hire boats must not exceed 46' x 12'6" under any circumstances. Yes it will affect some post-1992 boats currently in hire, but the operators of those knew exactly what they were doing when they put them into their fleets.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I remember them well, forward steer stretched versions of the 44 footers. They must have been a heck of a challenge to manoeuvre in a tight space. I bet stern-on moorings were fun too.

Not to mention trying to get back into their yard after a hire!

We had Sabre a few years ago, an Alpha 42CC, that was fun trying to get her back 'home' with the yard staff just waving at the spot they wanted me to reverse into!

They clearly had more faith in my ability than I did!  :default_wink:

The bow thrusters got a good work out, hardest I'd worked all holiday!

Got her in though!  :default_trophy:

• Like 1

Actually they are very easy to handle, even in a strong wind, so long as you know how to work out all the angles, before coming in to moor!

The problem is the amount of space that they would take up, on public moorings which are clearly not sufficient, on the northern Broads.

And I suggest that a simple length limit on boats, is not the cure-all for that problem!

• Like 2

There are already length/width restrictions on certain rivers already which impede on hire boats and not on private boats cant see a problem there are some people how wont ever be able to navigate/moor as long a they have a ho~~ in there ar~~ as in life some are better than others. John

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

And I suggest that a simple length limit on boats, is not the cure-all for that problem!

I know I have said a lot about the fact that boats shouldn't exceed the 12'6 by 46', but I actually think that it would be better if we were able to accommodate a bit of extra beam and then limit the length a bit further.

42ft by 13ft 6ins would be a good maximum size and you'd not lose any interior space. As you are very much aware Vaughan from the stuff you developed with Crown, that extra width allows two ensuite double cabins side-by-side. A flybridge boat with those dimensions becomes very spacious all of a sudden.

Lady Annalise is a good example for those unfamiliar with the slightly wider beam boats of what is possible in 42ft when building to the 12'6" limit.

It's a big change, though, and I can't see how we'd manage it on the Broads. Neatishead Staithe and Thurne Dyke are two places that immediately spring to mind where a 13'6" vessel could not pass between two moored boats of 13'6" and I wouldn't want to meet another one coming the other way at Dilham.

And I guess you wouldn't get a centre-cockpit boat of that size through Wroxham Bridge unless it had a very low airdraft, which in turn takes all the interior space away.

What a complicated system we choose to go boating on!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

42ft by 13ft 6ins would be a good maximum size and you'd not lose any interior space. As you are very much aware Vaughan from the stuff you developed with Crown, that extra width allows two ensuite double cabins side-by-side. A flybridge boat with those dimensions becomes very spacious all of a sudden.

I agree, but those Crown boats (now operated by Broom) are 4.2 metres beam, which is getting on for 16ft over the fenders either side.

A stern on mooring such as the front of the Maltsters quay at Ranworth, would not fit the same number of those, as a standard Broads width boat. And all of a sudden, all the mooring posts are in the wrong spacing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I agree, but those Crown boats (now operated by Broom) are 4.2 metres beam, which is getting on for 16ft over the fenders either side.

A stern on mooring such as the front of the Maltsters quay at Ranworth, would not fit the same number of those, as a standard Broads width boat. And all of a sudden, all the mooring posts are in the wrong spacing!

Agreed. There is a reason we have boats of the size that we do.

• Like 1