Latest BA Advice On Covid Lockdown

YnysMon

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR3PsdAB0NS9w-Jz32Q5MZzLWOOCYNX79KgFMMkmcZBQqZwTmjN6IAdHr34

Instead we have been asked to “advise boat owners to digest and interpret the regulations and government guidance for non-essential travel and overnight stays to ensure they are acting within these” when considering using their boat for recreational activity.

yep, its down to you and your conscience.

• Like 2

Just now, Cheesey69 said:

So if Defra say no. Then the handbrake goes on everywhere. 
Can’t see that one going down well. 
so unless someone is really brave then it’s yes for boating but don’t stay overnight 

Defra hasn't said 'No' though, have they. They're saying 'comply with the law'. No problem for boaters there, then.

• Like 2

In the circumstances why not? What we need to see is the original question asked - clearly the Lakes asked a different question! Even you Grendel must admit that if guidance in the Lakes is to permit motor boating as exercise,  it as certainly exercise to get down into my bilge!

But with the greatest of respect to them, Broads Beat should now just get on with their normal job - they will struggle methinks to find that part of the guidance which would stand up the scrutiny in a magistrates court, given that it is merely "guidance".

• Like 1

I do not understand why a multitude of government departments need to get involved interpreting the latest instructions / law.

Defra seem to poke their nose in at every opportunity, as do the Broads Authority. Surely it is for the police to investigate whether a business or member of the public is not complying with the law, and they can then take appropriate action. I very much doubt that many people at Defra or the BA are capable of understanding the mixed messages that we are all getting any more than most of the members of this forum.

If the guidance / instructions / laws etc. are not clear at the outset it does not help when all and sundry  (across government) start telling us what we should or should not be doing when they are not competent to do so.

• Like 2

Please excuse my ignorance but why does everyone seem not to be able to understand the underlying statement stay home save lives but instead seem hell bent on jusfying anything that allows them the liberty to put their own interpretation before that of the public good, I have now reached the point where I have lost faith in humanity.

Fred.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Half the problem is so many government departments have a finger in the water (pie)

DFRA, EA , DMCS.

DMCS latest updates include the percentage of fat allowed in advertising.:default_rofl:

What on earth do they know about boating.

The EA at least have a number of rivers they manage for boaters however they were saying no pleasure boating and no maintenance.

Boaters need their own department but we would end up with just one  Civil Servant named Cyril working out of a broom cupboard.

Realistically boaters are very low down anyones list of priorities.

Someone is being very underhand here, namely the BA. The updated Covid advice on their page repeats the mantra from DEFRA, that about digesting and interpreting the regulations and government guidance, then provides a handy hyperlink entitled non-essential travel and overnight stays which actually doesn't take you to a section on non-essential travel. See what you did there BA, nice one. 

It takes you to the section on travel, which actually says you must stay at home and avoid travel in the UK or overseas unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons.

That last section is a hyperlink on the government website that takes to to the much already discussed list of reasons why you can travel and leave home, including but not limited to, exercise or recreation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

In the circumstances why not? What we need to see is the original question asked - clearly the Lakes asked a different question!

maybe it would be that in the lake district the majority of motor boats are  what we would refer to as day boats, not motor cruisers like we have on the broads.

that said it still says no maintenance or winterisation in the defra guidance as not an essential reason for travel, and i would consider that more essential than a trip out on my boat.

but thats just my interpretation, and i will be staying at home

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Please excuse my ignorance but why does everyone seem not to be able to understand the underlying statement stay home save lives but instead seem hell bent on jusfying anything that allows them the liberty to put their own interpretation before that of the public good, I have now reached the point where I have lost faith in humanity.

Fred.

Perhaps it's because we're not all sheep, prepared to be led by donkeys.

You've obviously made an assessment of the regulations and the guidance, and have come to your own decision. Just because others don't share your conclusions doesn't mean that their points of view are invalid, or that they don't behave in a safe and considerate manner.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Paladin said:

You've obviously made an assessment of the regulations and the guidance, and have come to your own decision. Just because others don't share your conclusions doesn't mean that their points of view are invalid, or that they don't behave in a safe and considerate manner.

On the one hand you say he is a sheep and on the other that he has made an assessment!

It's 4 weeks for god's sake, suck it up for the common good whether you like it or not!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Paladin said:

You and I know I am not one of the flock and that I also respect your dedication to truth and fact, what I would say  is that there are times when not everything is black and white and sometimes we have to put aside the written word for what we believe is right in the common good, as someone who boats all year round and looks forward to the fishing this time of year I am missing enjoying the broads as much as anyone but am happy in the knowledge that whether my actions were required or not I have done nothing that endangers anyone else and that I can not be responsible for anyone else's suffering.

Fred

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Ray said:

On the one hand you say he is a sheep and on the other that he has made an assessment!

It's 4 weeks for god's sake, suck it up for the common good whether you like it or not!

No, I didn't. I was trying to make the point (lost on you) that there are those who blindly follow the guidance (which changes with the wind) without making any judgement themselves, and there are those, like rightsaidfred and me, who carefully read and understand the law, consider the guidance and come to a reasoned decision. If everyone came to the same decision regarding law, there'd be no need for lawyers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

You and I know I am not one of the flock and that I also respect your dedication to truth and fact, what I would say  is that there are times when not everything is black and white and sometimes we have to put aside the written word for what we believe is right in the common good, as someone who boats all year round and looks forward to the fishing this time of year I am missing enjoying the broads as much as anyone but am happy in the knowledge that whether my actions were required or not I have done nothing that endangers anyone else and that I can not be responsible for anyone else's suffering.

Fred

I'm pleased you understood what I was trying to say. Although we disagree over this issue, I too am not putting anyone else in jeopardy by my use of my boat. My wife and I are both in the vulnerable category, not just through age, and we will not take unnecessary risks. It is more dangerous going shopping than using our boat - in our judgement, anyway (other judgements are available).

• Like 5

So if I go to the boat, I can sit and watch the wildlife, make tea, read a book all as part of recreation but as soon as I lift the cabin floor and pour some antifreeze into the exhaust system it becomes unnecessary travel and not allowed. Someone tell me if I’ve got that wrong.

What I hear is different sections of gov sitting on the fence and passing the buck. Either allow boating, even if restricted to daytime use, or ban all of it including canoes, paddle boards and fishing boats.

Colin:default_fishing1:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grendel said:

everyone (including british marine and the BA) have quoted that part as part of the guidance they have received from DEFRA

That's why I asked for the link. As far as I'm aware there was a meeting between British Marine representatives and staff from Defra where Defra stated they do not consider private individuals visiting boats for winterisation as as essential activity. There is no official publication of that information on a government website. Does anyone know whether the BA have actually had that advice given to them directly by Defra? Or are they repeating British Marines advice form the meeting? We know that the BA have been told that Defra will not be issuing sector specific advice, which the winterisation would appear to be sector specific advice, IF they have issued it as official advice, rather than as the leaked contents of a meeting between them and British Marine.

It's also no co-incidence that British Marine members are able to winterise your boat, even if supposedly you are not able to do so yourself, even though there is nothing in the legal bill that says you cannot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

No. You stay in if you want, that’s down to you. Your right. 
Me? I do what my rights tell me I can. 
And yes, I’m a card carrying key worker who’s been there through out.

I’ve sucked it up. 
Have you?

• Like 2