Latest BA Advice On Covid Lockdown

YnysMon

The cost for me to travel to winterise is about the same as the yard doing it, I am sure this is the same for many owners. I did manage to get up before lockdown to fit the thermostat to the cabin heater but took the precaution of doing everything else in early October, assuming we may end up in a lockdown as cases were rising even then.

I can see the frustration for those who live close by but do wonder why they didn't use that to their advantage and winterise earlier, the signs were there to see this could happen.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, marshman said:

Well well well - another classic case of the BA seemingly getting the total wrong end of the stick!!!!! Its no good the BA covering up their shiny trousers by just saying that DEFRA said so - especially as we have no idea what the question was asked of DEFRA? Perhaps now they now need to get together rather urgently and get another statement out saying exactly what is what! Any chance this time of them agreeing whats what - shame they do appeared to jump the gun - again!!

Or I suppose it isn't important enough to try and do it by the weekend? Or have they perhaps a National Parks meeting to go to instead? So are they going to apologise for perhaps putting the wrong slant on the original information, if indeed it is wrong and perhaps now tell us we CAN winterise our boats? And indeed use them? And what about Broadsedge  - an embarrassing climbdown or did the key get dropped in the dyke?

Perhaps they would like to let us know what we can or cannot do? Or do we have to go the Sport England to get somewhere nearer the true facts?

So , come on the BA - did you jump the gun by interpreting the information wrongly or have I totally misread the Sport England statement? Or are you going to do what insurance companies do and find some other justification giving you wriggle room? Perhaps some of you may have noticed the head of steam building up from me? Perhaps I am being overdramatic but to winterise my boat in the timescale , given other commitments wasn't easy and am I now to be told it wasn't necessary after all?

THANKS...

Come on Broadland Tom - WASS GOIN OON ?

5 hours ago, grendel said:

To be fair on the BA they are / were in a no win situation, with everyone clamouring for a statement telling them what they could or couldnt do, in as short a time as possible, now we have expansion of the details filtering down, that may suggest some of the interpretations by the BA with the knowledge they had at the time, might have been a bit over the top, all those people who clamoured for a statement 'now' are complaining that the BA made mistakes.

I get that. But the marinas are taking their guidance from the BA and so they should. I would now like to see the BA amend their advice and let the boat owner take some of the responsibility for compliance. Having paid my tolls without complaining I would be less than impressed if I had been "caught out" with winterisation. Preferential rates or not, some of us just don't budget for work we can do perfectly well ourselves.

• Like 3

For me winterising is not just filling the fuel tank, pump out, emptying the water tank etc but to bring home all the duvets, sheets, pillows etc so getting a boatyard to winterise doesn't work, it has to be a visit and because of the travel time has to be an overnight stay. I'm retired so I was able to go on Tuesday and come back Wednesday, this would not have been possible if I was still working and I sympathise with folk that have been caught out. 

• Like 4

Can anyone confirm the current situation on Windermere? Not that I want to go but if you can use your private motorboat as a form of exercise, one might question the BA's original position? The trouble is that it is easy to be led astray by old posts which may have been superseded by events. However the up to date position seems to indicate you can - please prove me wrong !!!!

5 minutes ago, marshman said:

Can anyone confirm the current situation on Windermere? Not that I want to go but if you can use your private motorboat as a form of exercise, one might question the BA's original position? The trouble is that it is easy to be led astray by old posts which may have been superseded by events. However the up to date position seems to indicate you can - please prove me wrong !!!!

No but likewise is there a definitive difference between manually and mechanicaly propelled boats for the purpose of exercise.

Fred  

16 minutes ago, marshman said:

Copied from the Lake District National Park web site a few moments ago:

"Guide to activities allowed in the main Lake District lakes

Windermere

🏊🏼‍♀️ Swimming: Yes

🛶 Canoes, kayaks and paddleboards: Yes

🚣🏻‍♀️ Rowing boats: Yes

️ Sailing boats: Yes, boats must be registered

🛥 Powered craft: Yes, boats must be registered and there is a 10 mph speed limit"

Boating may be considered as a recreational activity as well as exercise.

• Like 3

Thats what it looked like to me but I just wondered???

If that is correct then it perhaps a shame the BA who so desperately want to be seen as a NP, cannot take a leaf out of the book of another ACTUAL National Park then?

Or is to be seen as another abuse of power by an unelected quango - shh...... you can almost hear the silence from the BA.

Please guys on Thorpe Road - clarification is required!!!

• Like 3

Seems the BA are on the case.

6 November - Update regarding COVID-19 lockdown restrictions that affect boating activities

The Authority is aware that there appears to be conflicting advice published by DEFRA and DCMS regarding which activities are restricted during the current lockdown in England. The Broads Authority, like many other organisations is trying its best to interpret the guidelines in order to advise the public.

This morning we have again written to DEFRA pointing out the apparent inconsistencies and the urgent need for definitive instructions. In particular we are seeking clarification around paddle-sports, angling and the use of privately owned sailing / motor boats.

We will communicate any further information we receive as quickly as possible and ask for your understanding and patience during this time. Our officers are receiving a huge number of enquiries on a wide range of topics and unfortunately it is not possible to give detailed answers on specific questions or individual circumstances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

so i climb in my car on my own, travel to the boat on my own, cruise around on my own, moor up on my own, go home on my own. 

Upart from being lonely, I really cant see a problem here.

The instruction on no unnecessary travel is the flaw in your plan.

• Like 3

Just now, psychicsurveyor said:

Nope. Getting to your recreation is not counted as unnecessary travel. 

word of the day is reasonable. 

Going out for a drive is.  Moving you bike in a car to excise was ok. Moving dog in a car for a walk, fine.

Our issued instructions (from last time, amended plenty). 

4 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Nope. Getting to your recreation is not counted as unnecessary travel. 

word of the day is reasonable. 

Going out for a drive is.  Moving you bike in a car to excise was ok. Moving dog in a car for a walk, fine.

Our issued instructions (from last time, amended plenty). 

The wording is necessary,

Going out on a motor boat is hardly exercise.

I think you might be missing the 'spirit' of the measures in trying to find loopholes.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

so i climb in my car on my own, travel to the boat on my own, cruise around on my own, moor up on my own, go home on my own. 

Upart from being lonely, I really cant see a problem here.

So long as when you visit the petrol station, which you will now have to do more often because you've used the car, you fill up on your own and don't leave the virus on the pump for the next person.

23 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

From the current Cabinet Office Guidance (with my emboldment):

If you live in England, you must stay at home and avoid travel in the UK or overseas, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons. If you need to travel you should look to reduce the number of journeys if possible.

However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

travelling to work where you cannot work from home

travelling to education and for caring responsibilities

to visit those in your support bubble - or your childcare bubble for childcare

hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health

to buy goods or services from premises that are open, including essential retail

to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)

attending the care and exercise of a pet, or veterinary services.

So HMG is actually encouraging us to get out and about for exercise and/or recreation and haven't put any limit on distance or time. Not trying to find loopholes, is it. Clearly, mental health is being regarded more seriously, this time round.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, marshman said:

Don't disagree in principle but how come you seem to be able to do all manner of things on the Lakes up north??

Even you should see that people will be more keen to support things if its clear and consistent?

Because JP's counter part up north interpreted the rules slightly differently, or did more thorough research probably. Either way, I'm encouraged by the news that they at least acknowledge they (the BA) may not have been on the mark.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marshman said:

If that is correct then it perhaps a shame the BA who so desperately want to be seen as a NP, cannot take a leaf out of the book of another ACTUAL National Park then?

When is a national park not a national park when it suits the Broads authority I guess

• Haha 2