Latest BA Advice On Covid Lockdown

YnysMon

You know, I'm increasingly getting convinced the BA is overreacting, OR the rest of the world under. Sitting here looking at the Blakeney webcam this morning, we have had paddle boarders, canoes, Laser dinghy all going out. Yet I, who live in a Broadland village, at best can walk to my boat and stroke it.....

The really sad thing is that we are trying to do the right thing but once again, I am amazed the owners at Broadsedge feel they have a right to interpret the law in the manner they have. If I actually own something do I not have any rights of access? Presumably seeing as  I cannot access my asset, they will not be making a charge for my mooring? I actually think its totally and utterly wrong but thats my view and I really doubt that many will agree! I think they should be very careful in how they look after all those prized assets - I would not be happy at all if something happened to my boat simply because I have been forbidden  to access it.

Nonetheless I am very sad to inform you that, elsewhere, the fish have also gone on furlough and just were not biting today. I realise of course that people can say he can do what he likes - he effectively has you over a barrel but I certainly do  not approve of the stance. Do boats catch Covid I wonder?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, marshman said:

I think the question is perhaps best asked the other way - which marinas are restricting access?

As before, this patently ridiculous as I just cannot understand where the risk is? But as always I am sure someone will point me in the right, or wrong ,direction!:default_sad:

I think the risk rightly or wrongly is to any business remaining open that falls in the non essential category.

Fred

From British Marine

Marina Guidance

Marina Industry Position Statement – England (updated 5th November 2020)

As directed by Government for the period 5th November to 2nd December 2020 marinas can remain open for business services including (but not limited to) boatyard, boat servicing and tenants. Chandleries and other non-essential retail can remain open for delivery to customers, click and collect and to supply the marine trade. On site catering should close unless providing takeaway services.

No overnight stays are allowed on boats except for residential berth holders (where the boat is their Primary Residence) or for business purposes. Toilets and showers can remain open for site users.

For the above reasons, access and access control systems may remain open however, marinas should remind their berth holders to adhere to Government rules for England requiring people to stay at home, except for specific purposes:

From the RYA

The regulations do not define what exercise is and therefore recreational boating (all forms of watersports practised on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft) from a public outdoor space may be possible provided the restrictions for meeting people socially are adhered to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Tingdene is open but the office is locked again, it is providing services via phone.

A very sensible approach. One that the RYA seems to be suggesting. I cannot find any trace of a law that says marinas have to restrict you from getting access to your boats! 

RYA advice "Members may be able to access boats for essential checks and maintenance, however, this will need to be agreed with their club/marina/harbour authority, with individuals taking personal responsibility for meeting Government guidance."

I think the last part of that is the most important, and by far the most achievable when working on your boat alone.

I also note the following RYA advice " We believe that this means you cannot stay on your boat overnight unless you are a residential berth holder."

Now I fully understand that allowances have to, and should be made, but how many of those marinas that are restricting access needlessly, are continuing to turn a blind eye to their unofficial residential berth holders? 

Seems a few are upholding their own or their trade bodies interpretation of the law, when it suits. I'm not advocating for one moment that anyone living on their boat unofficially should be asked to find alternative accommodation, however the marinas in question, and I know of at least one, need to address their very questionable stance on restricting access for "some" of their berth holders! We all pay the same annual mooring fees!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I will suggest that Broadsedge has over stepped the mark. Indeed I'd suggest that they are taking over all responsibility from the boat owners. Not sure how insurance companies would view that, theirs and yours.

I dont disagree but it has to be for every business in all sectors to make their own judgment not you or I, they are the ones facing a potential fine.

Fred

I have my boat at BroadsEdge

I found out about the total lockdown of the marina from this forum and called David to check what was going on.

His stance is that, according to the BA statement (somewhere on this very thread) that

(Partial quote) The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has advised the Broads Authority and other inland navigation authorities that ‘winterising’ boats and other planned maintenance by the general public is not permitted under the restrictions as it is not classed as ‘essential travel’. 

He is adamant that I am not allowed to go onto the marina or visit my boat or take anything off after yesterdays trip.

Its now stuck there with no access at all until 2nd December at the earliest. And to be honest, although I am quite miffed about his decision he does hold all the power at his yard and does seem to be quite happy to use it.

So does DEFRA trump RYA and British Marine? I assume DEFRA have the final say and advise BA as to what to implement.

But it does seem odd that BM and RYA have chosen to go against DEFRA

Yours in lockdown

Andy T Marmalade

ETA - The BA stance also clearly states that 

"Day trips on private or hire boats are not permitted as this is non-essential travel"

From their website https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19 

5/11/20

• Like 1

Having waded through the 32pages of legislation no where can I find anything that travelling for essential maintenance is not permitted. Maybe defra can quote a reference or maybe Broadsedge would like to comment.

I think some people may reconsider who and where they get their services from when things return to some form of normal. Am I right in thinking that Broadsedge don’t have any residential boats in the marina.

Colin:default_drinks:

n.b. Just to add my insurance renewal has just arrived.

• Like 2

My boat is at Broadsedge and I suspected that this lock out would happen so allough highly inconvenient due to a house move I winterised on Tuesday and yesterday now I'm dammed glad I did. For me living so far away it would be too much to do the winterising without an overnight on board even if David hadn't locked the gates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

I have my boat at BroadsEdge

I found out about the total lockdown of the marina from this forum and called David to check what was going on.

His stance is that, according to the BA statement (somewhere on this very thread) that

(Partial quote) The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) has advised the Broads Authority and other inland navigation authorities that ‘winterising’ boats and other planned maintenance by the general public is not permitted under the restrictions as it is not classed as ‘essential travel’. 

He is adamant that I am not allowed to go onto the marina or visit my boat or take anything off after yesterdays trip.

Its now stuck there with no access at all until 2nd December at the earliest. And to be honest, although I am quite miffed about his decision he does hold all the power at his yard and does seem to be quite happy to use it.

So does DEFRA trump RYA and British Marine? I assume DEFRA have the final say and advise BA as to what to implement.

But it does seem odd that BM and RYA have chosen to go against DEFRA

Yours in lockdown

Andy T Marmalade

ETA - The BA stance also clearly states that 

"Day trips on private or hire boats are not permitted as this is non-essential travel"

From their website https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19 

5/11/20

I think I was close then and it's all a big misunderstanding. So let's do the decent thing and let them sort it out in reasonable time and come to the same conclusion: that it is reasonable for people to winterise their own boats but no overnight stays. 

Hopefully the BA will pick this up and ask a few relevant questions.

My only gripe with DEFRA then is if the government are only advising against non-essential travel, who are they to effectively ban it?:default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

Interesting to read this from the government today saying we can go boating.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/guidance-for-the-public-on-the-phased-return-of-outdoor-sport-and-recreation

"All forms of water sports practised on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed provided that the guidance on social distancing is observed.

You are allowed to visit venues like a sailing club to exercise. You should only do so alone or with 5 other people as long as you follow social distancing guidelines. You should check ahead to ensure that these facilities are open and prepared to receive visitors."

And the RYA has today received confirmation from Sport England that boating is permitted.

(from the RYA facebook page) 

"Sport England has today confirmed that boaters in England can continue to exercise on the waterways during the current lockdown, so long as you’re doing so:

🛶 on your own
🚤 with the people you live with (your household)
with your support bubble
🚣‍♀️ on your own and with one person from another household – this could be a coach for 1:1 coaching."

• Thanks 2

Well well well - another classic case of the BA seemingly getting the total wrong end of the stick!!!!! Its no good the BA covering up their shiny trousers by just saying that DEFRA said so - especially as we have no idea what the question was asked of DEFRA? Perhaps now they now need to get together rather urgently and get another statement out saying exactly what is what! Any chance this time of them agreeing whats what - shame they do appeared to jump the gun - again!!

Or I suppose it isn't important enough to try and do it by the weekend? Or have they perhaps a National Parks meeting to go to instead? So are they going to apologise for perhaps putting the wrong slant on the original information, if indeed it is wrong and perhaps now tell us we CAN winterise our boats? And indeed use them? And what about Broadsedge  - an embarrassing climbdown or did the key get dropped in the dyke?

Perhaps they would like to let us know what we can or cannot do? Or do we have to go the Sport England to get somewhere nearer the true facts?

So , come on the BA - did you jump the gun by interpreting the information wrongly or have I totally misread the Sport England statement? Or are you going to do what insurance companies do and find some other justification giving you wriggle room? Perhaps some of you may have noticed the head of steam building up from me? Perhaps I am being overdramatic but to winterise my boat in the timescale , given other commitments wasn't easy and am I now to be told it wasn't necessary after all?

THANKS...

• Like 4