A Summer Of Sport.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The Uk is currently in line for 7 medals for sailing At the Olympics.. Have you seen any on BBC or even a mention?.. Thought not..

image.thumb.png.8702c8822b9a904dc0d6586d83b6a34e.png

The BBC One coverage earlier this evening was showing the sailing for almost an hour. Seemed well covered to me?

30 minutes ago, floydraser said:

How long before paddleboarding is an olympic sport? :default_hiding:

You may joke , but with the addition of such “sports” as beach volleyball , snowboarding , bmx etc in recent olympics I wouldn’t be surprised at all .

I say bring back the old village fete favourite of tug-o-war  into the Olympics 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

You may joke , but with the addition of such “sports” as beach volleyball , snowboarding , bmx etc in recent olympics I wouldn’t be surprised at all .

I say bring back the old village fete favourite of tug-o-war  into the Olympics 

In London  2012, beach volleyball had the largest crowds.Dont know why?:default_icon_cool:

I caught a bit of the fencing the other night, wow how that sport has developed. It used to flow a bit more back in the day. Now it seems to be two seconds of action interspersed by a period of removing face gaurds, fist pumps and shouting at the coaches. And by both players, whoever won the point!

• 3 weeks later...

So pleased  not long booked a ticket  for England v India at the Oval.First day of the test,Thursday  2 September. Although  not disabled, yet  if I walk for  any length now,I have breathing problems. So I use a mobility scooter, have a place in the area set aside for disabilitys.I tried  for Monday just gone at Lords.That didn't work.Very much looking  forward  to the match,please weather be kind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to think most of the season! 

Where else would a newly promoted team have Liverpool, Manchester City, and Leicester City as the first three opening games of the season. The only conclusion I can draw is that the FA do not want the likes of Norwich City in the Premier League, there is something wrong that leaves  nasty smell.

Don't  think that's the case. What is clear is Norwich's  spending  or more to the point, lack of spending. The prem is very expensive and often teams will yo yo from the Premier to the championship. I wish them well and hope they remain.Of course its early days let's see.

44 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Don't  think that's the case. What is clear is Norwich's  spending  or more to the point, lack of spending. The prem is very expensive and often teams will yo yo from the Premier to the championship. I wish them well and hope they remain.Of course its early days let's see.

That’s just the problem.  Unfortunately Norwich won’t have the spending power of clubs like Chelski or Man City.  The fact that they’re unlikely to win anything either won’t attract the calibre of player they’d need to succeed and if they develop a home grown player of quality, one of the larger, richer clubs will tempt them away with an offer that a club like Norwich won’t be able to turn away.  At least they’re above Arsenal at the moment!! 😁

• Like 1

Okay not so much summer more Autumn. Still not been a bad summer of sport. England almost won the Euros,just missing  out by the lottery of penalties. GB did very well in the Olympics then the para Olympics.I very much enjoyed  the Cricket  last week,sadly we didn't  win that one.Due to Covid the fifth test planned  for yesterday  was cancelled. It was said that many of the back room staff of India came down with the virus. Do think two hours before  play to cancel the match was unfair to those turning up.

Tonight  a ture raising star will attempt to win the US open in America. Emma Raducanu.This is only her second  Grand Slam tournament. She played Wimbledon and pulled out with breathing  problems. That's created a lot of criticism if her,which I thought  unfair.She is only Eighteen.Whatever the result she has been outstanding, and will go on to be truly great.

Good luck for tonight  Emma.

Oh and did I mention  Chelsea are champions of Europe?

Let's hope the rest of the year brings success in  sport (and Chelsea).

Ian.

I don’t watch much sport but wow! What Emma Raducanu has achieved already is historical. The only qualifier ever to reach a grand slam final, male or female. She played three qualifying rounds before the tournament. She hasn’t dropped a set. And apparently only Serena Williams has reached this final losing less games than Emma this year. Good luck to her! 

The only problem from what I can make out is that it’s only on Amazon Prime and they’re charging for it. That’s a real shame that we can’t see it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I don’t watch much sport but wow! What Emma Raducanu has achieved already is historical. The only qualifier ever to reach a grand slam final, male or female. She played three qualifying rounds before the tournament. She hasn’t dropped a set. And apparently only Serena Williams has reached this final losing less games than Emma this year. Good luck to her! 

The only problem from what I can make out is that it’s only on Amazon Prime and they’re charging for it. That’s a real shame that we can’t see it. 

Let’s hope that our beloved media don’t pile the pressure on her as they normally do with our sports personalities.  When they’re successful, they’re heroes, but if they fail, the pedestal is immediately knocked from under them and they become the butt of too much negativity.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Ive just read its going to be available to watch on CH4 from 8.00pm but I cant see it listed yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1