Alphacraft Boatyard At St Olaves Up For Auction

FairTmiddlin

From the details & pics it looks like buy a boatyard get a boat free! I thought they just hired from there, thinking 20 years back, sure you could fit out with a tarp tent in reality but I would have thought all the hulls were laid up at the mould shop at Brundall but stand to be corrected. End of an era but the John Moxham designs that came out around that time broke the moulds, the flow and line and relaxed patio areas with deck chairs on some etc. were broad breaking at the time. Clearly remember the first time I saw one cruise onto Oulton, jaw dropping moment. Not surprised other yards bought and others developed similar.

Cheap freehold moorings if a few want to get together, boatyardshare!

Quite a lot of history in that few acres along Reeds lane, including Albatross Marine, Archie Peace's speedboat factory.

Johnsons which used to be Browns. Martin commodore cruiseways, Beaver Fleet, Swallowcraft and Priory. Plus Augerveyor who manufactured agricultural equipment and hired boats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, andyg said:

I knew alpha had a yard st olaves. But was it just a boat building facility or did they hire from here. That's seems to be quite a finished boat sitting there. 

Yes when Alpha were at their peak they hired from St Olaves as well as Brundall.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, andyg said:

Did the yards at St olaves have a problem with there basins silting up. I seen to remember taking Pevensey Castle back and couldn't get in there little basin it was low tide  so had to Moor on the main river...

Yes they did have problems with silting up. We hired regularly from Alpha Craft. I remember going into the Yard at St Olaves one day and Langford had. one of his cruisers tied up in the basin with the prop running at high revs. I asked what was he doing and he said he was clearing the silt.

• Like 2

Looks like quite a few molds and bits of old boat included, and nice big crane to play with. I buy stuff from live, online auctions but it's usually old lawn mowers or engineering bits. I think this one may be beyond my means unfortunately. And as there's no premium bond draw before this auction, I'm definitely out. But if anyone wants a Project Manager.....

No useful moulds there I'd imagine, don't barnes own the mould tools now. I'm told the new barnes boat for next season is a re work of the alpha 44 dual steer mould. I wonder if there would be any point in reworking the old centre cockpit moulds ( if there still about ) change the transom re shape the windows etc. They always seemed to have more room inside then the newer version, especially the huge front cabin and rear saloon. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Captain said:

Wow that's changed, they must have filled that in can't just be silt used to be Priory craft with marina and 25 Alpha built boats! Presumably Priory craft was related or owned by Alpha.

Neil

On the inside of a bend on a fairly tidal stretch of river I wouldn't be surprised if it is just silted up!!

It is certainly an interesting auction plot. Will be interested to see who buys it and what their plans are for the place.

Could be a nice little set up if someone is willing to put in the investment to get it up and running again. Whoever does buy it will need deep pockets though!!

The Alpha Craft yard at St Olaves was originally owned and run by Langford’s father. It’s hire fleet comprised of wooden boats. When Langford     took over the business he slowly changed the fleet over to Fibre glass and moved the operation to Brundall. As business started to increase he moved part of the hire fleet back to St Olaves and also did boat building there. When he retired the two sons to over running of the business.

• Like 4

I believe it has just silted up, and reeds grow very quickly.

It'll be nice to see the site tidied up. That plug has been there for years and many people think it's a boat awaiting completion.

They basically took a set of 44' centre cockpit mouldings and did a cut and shut so they could make the mould tool for the 35' version with it.

From David's pictures, it looks like the mould tools for the doorwedge are there too and possibly the classic centre cockpit, judging by the shape. I'd like to see a reinterpretation of the classic 35, too, such a cleverly-packaged boat. Those mould tools will not be in good shape, though.

23 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I believe it has just silted up, and reeds grow very quickly.

It'll be nice to see the site tidied up. That plug has been there for years and many people think it's a boat awaiting completion.

They basically took a set of 44' centre cockpit mouldings and did a cut and shut so they could make the mould tool for the 35' version with it.

From David's pictures, it looks like the mould tools for the doorwedge are there too and possibly the classic centre cockpit, judging by the shape. I'd like to see a reinterpretation of the classic 35, too, such a cleverly-packaged boat. Those mould tools will not be in good shape, though.

Me too, I think richardsons done a fantastic re fit on the two they brought brought back from France ( viscount). That could be improved on as well. Very clean modern looking boats. 

17 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Would it get developed, houses with own moorings?

Very doubtful I would think. Unless someone bought up the other yards and developed the whole place, I wouldn't think residential just there would have much appeal. Please save us from rows of cabins with very amusing plastic, pink flamingos and pot plants. My money would be on moorings and maintenance for a start.

de silt those basins and you would have some nice moorings, dig them deep enough so the brundall Navy could base themselves below those pesky bridges and I think you could have quite a good little yard there. you would need haven bridge operational again though.

Desilting the area, only for it silt up again would in itself be a major job ( the spoil may have to be moved! ) and then you would have to put new quay heading in, so even the initial phase, after purchase would be a big money spend. Any building would probably require a major piling exercise too, so costs for maintenance sheds and a basin would probably frighten most people off.

My guess it would take big money to get it off the ground, and any returns may take a long time to appear.

• Like 2

On 13/07/2021 at 20:51, unclemike said:

i hired jaguar from there in 2003

Snap - and from what I recall it had no curtains at the front.   Whoever buys this will have to do a lot of work on the road to and from the main road.   It is one huge pot hole.