Retirement And A New Beginning

andyg

12 hours ago, grounded said:

What model would that be? Many moons ago I built my wife Lyn a Mk3 from a complete write off. She loved that car (mine was a Vitesse Mk2 convertible). I retired a few years ago after 47 years in health services in 2 hemispheres and am now enjoying the 3 gs - grandkids, golf and gardening. In fact I am off to play a few holes on a very warm and sunny New Zealand morning. Looking forward to our 50th wedding anniversary on Swan Rapture - Covid and crazy governments permitting.

Have a happy one folks.

Chris

It's a 1975 1500 softtop with overdrive Chris. I've done quite a lot of modifications to the drivetrain, engine and other bits whilst still retaining the original body shape. I used to drive it daily all year round until about 9 years ago and it's been sat in my garage since, waiting for me to complete various jobs on it as a result of the weather taking its toll on it!  Now that I'm retired and the house is sorted, I'll hopefully get it sorted!!  I've also got a MkIV/1500 complete chassis with diff etc which was going to be my race car but again never got around to it! Have a great day on the golf course!

Chris

• Like 1

I’m seriously thinking of going semi retired working 3 days a week Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday I’m only 40 but once I’ve got a little boat as long as I can keep that and the house going I’m quite self sufficient growing all my own veg etc. 

Why have a boat and  never use it !  

Good luck with your plans and finding the boat. 

Thanks for all the positive comments, much appreciated. Its 1.30am boxing day morning and I've probably had more alcohol then I should of lol. The family are all wrapped up and fast asleep. Children in sleeping bags all over the place. Our two cats dread the grandchildren being here the poor things don't get a moments peace. The shift I worked on covered all the eve's so I worked most Christmas eve's boxing days etc. So this is genuinely the latest I've been awake on Christmas night in a very long time. I sat out on the patio earlier smoking a Cuban cigar with my son and son in law, my son remarked on how relaxed I'd been all day,bless him. Right enough about me, like I said earlier on in this thread, hopefully we will put some faces to names next year. Hic up, I'm off to bed, well actually I'm not as my eldest granddaughter has found her way into my bed and is currently snuggled up to her nana, sofa for me then lol...bloody kidds 😉

• Like 12

I packed up working for that pocket slapping supermarket chain in 2012 and every Christmas since, I get the same satisfaction of thinking I would normally be working Christmas Eve until around 19.00. No holidays allowed in December and the rota would change to include every weekend worked. Since then I have been less stressed and I can't remember the last time I had back ache.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 22:01, CeePee1952 said:

It's a 1975 1500 softtop with overdrive Chris. I've done quite a lot of modifications to the drivetrain, engine and other bits whilst still retaining the original body shape. I used to drive it daily all year round until about 9 years ago and it's been sat in my garage since, waiting for me to complete various jobs on it as a result of the weather taking its toll on it!  Now that I'm retired and the house is sorted, I'll hopefully get it sorted!!  I've also got a MkIV/1500 complete chassis with diff etc which was going to be my race car but again never got around to it! Have a great day on the golf course!

Chris

Hi Chris, I must confess I do much prefer the rounder, softer, shapes of the earlier Spitfires and that 1300 engine was a little belter! I bought the "donor" car for my wife's for 50quid, and I only bought it because it had a hardtop in good condition (or so I thought). The body and chassis were virtually scrap. It took me about 15 months working in my single attached garage to do a full restoration. Here is a picture of the finished product, which we happily took to many a Triumph Sports Six Club event around Yorkshire in the day.

Chris (also 1952!)

img391.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grounded said:

Hi Chris, I must confess I do much prefer the rounder, softer, shapes of the earlier Spitfires and that 1300 engine was a little belter! I bought the "donor" car for my wife's for 50quid, and I only bought it because it had a hardtop in good condition (or so I thought). The body and chassis were virtually scrap. It took me about 15 months working in my single attached garage to do a full restoration. Here is a picture of the finished product, which we happily took to many a Triumph Sports Six Club event around Yorkshire in the day.

Chris (also 1952!)

Very nice! :default_smile: here's mine in 2000! Sadly it needs a lot of restoration doing to the body after 5 years of daily driving in all weathers! (I'll send you a current pic of it when I've moved a lot of items that currently surround it in my garage!!).  I also had it on the TSSC show stand at the Classic Car show in Birmingham - got a pic of that somewhere too!

image.png.0891dae3b7e3315b85ee26970bd162c4.png

• Like 1

Well it's around a year to go before I retire.. I'll be about 65..

My sister who is 3 years younger than me has decided to retire, when they stop her working from home.. I think there'll be a lot of that...

I could go on my birthday, about Christmas, or at the end of February, the February pay packet includes the annual bonus.. not that it's a huge amount.. I'll make the final decision about September..

What will I do when retired?

There's a lot of stuff to do around the house and garden.

Sail more,

Probably volunteer at the Radar museum.

Oh and I think somehow from 2023 I'll be chairman of the model railway club..

• Like 8

On 26/12/2021 at 12:04, floydraser said:

I packed up working for that pocket slapping supermarket chain in 2012 and every Christmas since, I get the same satisfaction of thinking I would normally be working Christmas Eve until around 19.00. No holidays allowed in December and the rota would change to include every weekend worked. Since then I have been less stressed and I can't remember the last time I had back ache.

Yep been there done that, part of my role within the transport dept was to over see and sign off new drivers rotas agreed by our rosta committee ( unions ) and management team. It was the biggest pile of poo you can imagine, 12 weeks of arguments, union reps tantrums and on and on it went. Our rotas had already been built by our head office team and we just went through the motions to appease the union. Due to the ever changing estate we served and demands on volume we would some years go through this process 3 times. I used to feel incredibly bad telling the guys we had a pending change. Who'd work 20 years in foodretail logistics...oh I did lol.. doh..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

To me it's a blast from the past, a lot of the equipment there isn't like what I worked on, it is the equipment I touched and worked on...

When I worked at Richardsons in the 70's I think it was, I moved boats about, trial runs and such and on a Saturday, turn around day, RAF chaps from Neatishead would lend a hand as engineers. I think that they blagged it a bit. A laying on of hands, a polish of the header tank with an oily rag. They were very friendly and told some alarming tales. One was that in the event of a nuclear conflict Neatishead would have a life expectancy of half an hour, by which time in would have done its job.  I often used to think about that and those who moored at Neatishead and Coltishall in those days.

As for UFO sightings on their radar, well I was vunerable to all that I can tell you. Many a tale was told. Mostly involved skeins of geese if I remember.

Old Wussername 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

To me it's a blast from the past, a lot of the equipment there isn't like what I worked on, it is the equipment I touched and worked on...

I really wanted to go there when I was up a few weeks ago, but it was closed at the time - I worked on military radar as an apprentice.

Funnily, I went to the RAF Museum in Hendon on Fathers Day with my eldest (it is quite near us) and saw a radar system that I actually worked on. Very strange feeling indeed !

I got home from work on christmas eve to two official looking letters amongst the christmas cards, first one invited me to apply for my old age pension and the second was a reminder that my blue badge was about to expire, well merry christmas,I thought, where has your life gone?

The thought of finishing work horrifies me, I work 6 days a week, short days admittedly (this is due to my health, hence the blue badge) but I love it,  doesn't mean I have nothing to do outside of it, a wooden boat! and those motorbikes won't ride themselves.

When I drive home from work, it never ceases to amaze me how many people cruise around the peak district at 20 mph, is the majority of the population early retired?

1 hour ago, Victoryv said:

I got home from work on christmas eve to two official looking letters amongst the christmas cards, first one invited me to apply for my old age pension and the second was a reminder that my blue badge was about to expire, well merry christmas,I thought, where has your life gone?

The thought of finishing work horrifies me, I work 6 days a week, short days admittedly (this is due to my health, hence the blue badge) but I love it,  doesn't mean I have nothing to do outside of it, a wooden boat! and those motorbikes won't ride themselves.

When I drive home from work, it never ceases to amaze me how many people cruise around the peak district at 20 mph, is the majority of the population early retired?

You don’t look a day over 65 :default_coat: Make the most of it that boat won’t paint it’s self.