Response To The Amber Weather Warning For Friday 18th February.

Dear all,

As you are likely aware, the Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for Friday 18 February due to extremely high winds created by Storm Eunice. This warning impacts the whole of Norfolk and Suffolk, including the Broads. Wind speeds of up to 70mph have been forecasted for the area, peaking between 12 and 2pm on Friday.

Boat owners are urged to make arrangements to ensure that their vessels are secure and properly tied up before the high winds hit, and to check on their vessels after the weather warning has passed.

We strongly advise that you avoid any non-essential travel during this period of high wind. If you are on your vessel please refrain from cruising on the rivers (unless essential) and instead stay moored up in a safe location. Please be mindful of dangers such as nearby trees and other structures which may be affected by the wind whilst you are moored up. Be extra vigilant and stay well away from the water’s edge whenever possible.

Breydon Water will also be closed to hire vessels during the weather warning, and we will notify the public when it is safe to cross again. Boat hirers should contact their boatyard for more information if required.

We anticipate that over the coming days there will be numerous riverside trees uprooted by the wind and some damage to vessels. Our Rangers will be working hard to deal with these issues and keep you safe.

If you notice any obstructions on the river, including trees or adrift/sunken vessels, please report these to Broads Control on 01603 756056.

In case of emergency, or if you are in danger, always dial 999.

Best

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Mobile 07986003359

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am onboard now, the marina have chainsaws, telehandler, excavator and appropriate staff on standby on site in the morning.

I have put extra ropes on the covers, parked in the middle of the large car park and from midnight I will don the souwester and oil skins and lash myself to the helm.:default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

the marina have chainsaws, telehandler, excavator and appropriate staff on standby on site in the morning.

Well I hope they dont take the chainsaw to mine. It's a bit drastic!😳 

• Haha 2

My daughter and 3 year old grandson were coming by train tomorrow from South Wales to Hertfordshire!!!! Trip been planned for months. His half-term is next week.....

Well once they confirmed trains wouldn't be running she could bring it forward to this evening after leaving work early but even that train was delayed due to 'an incident' on the track!! 

Husband on his way to Paddington to help them through London.

Won't be doing anything tomorrow but at least they should be here 🤞

Liz

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 4

We had a very wild night last night here (on the West side of the city of Hamburg).

My room is on the Northwest corner of the house & the wind itself was loud plus it was tugging at the roller blinds covering the window.

Masses of rain - local beck overflowed its banks & meadows under water.

Even worse - see this video of the regular service from the North side of the river Elbe to the Airbus site (Finkenwerder):

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, HEM said:

We had a very wild night last night here (on the West side of the city of Hamburg).

My room is on the Northwest corner of the house & the wind itself was loud plus it was tugging at the roller blinds covering the window.

Masses of rain - local beck overflowed its banks & meadows under water.

Even worse - see this video of the regular service from the North side of the river Elbe to the Airbus site (Finkenwerder):

Oooops!! Complimentary shower for passengers!! :default_biggrin: Reminds me of the time I went from Hamburg to Helgoland many years ago.  Halfway across one of the forward anchors dropped without warning and the ferry pivoted around on it once it had dug into the sea bed!!  Everything went flying, including us!!  Took the crew an hour to retrieve the anchor but we still made it to the island eventually!

Chris

The food van turned up at work this morning and we had to take turns holding on to the lift flap, it wasn't easy, there's more wind blowing than the tail end of BA's lads week!

Gonna be a fun cycle home... Normally 1.5 minutes, today it'll either be 10 minutes or 4.7 seconds depending on wind direction at 12.00.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi all,

Mutford Lock closed now too. Believe it or not they have just had to turn someone away over the phone wishing to transit the lock (on a leisurely cruise I should add!).

Wind speeds are currently exceeding the safe tolerances for opening Mutford Lock and bridge and so both remain closed until the weather improves.

If you are aboard your vessel we urge you to avoid non-urgent travel and remain safely moored up if possible.

Tom

• Thanks 1