Response To The Amber Weather Warning For Friday 18th February.

1 minute ago, Andrewcook said:

This is the Worst Storm we've ever had u.in the UK to date. Having a few Sunken Boats this year does not help things at all.

1987 and 1990 are in my mind the worst! I was living in Kent in 1987 and by 1990 moved to Hertfordshire so a double whammy!!

• Like 3

In 87 I walked to the station  at Abbey  wood.So many trees down on the line,no buses either.Unable to get to work.So I helped out in the community, mainly checking  on older people  and those that were unable to get out of the house.Seven Oaks became one.1987 was far worse  then this one.What I would say these strong winds and storms seem to happen more frequent now.

• Like 2

in 87 there were so many trees down thet in one place they had cleared a path for cars under the trunk of a tree, as I had elected to drive my van to work, i had to return and take the motorbike, I got 5 miles from work and was stopped by the police as a whole wood of trees were lying across the road, when they found I worked for the electricity company they allowed me  to proceed at my own risk, I can remember riding over a section of road that was literally a carpet of trees. when I got to the office we were in full emergency mode, and it took 2 weeks to restore supplies back to everyone, we had jointers and linesmen down from scotland helping, the first 2 days people were working through the day and night, I remember the first 2 days i was doing nothing but printing network diagrams for the field engineers, and sleeping uunder my desk at night. those were hectic times, we had 2 of our people killed, oone casued by falling from an overhead line after getting electrocuted because someone had connected a generator at his house, but not isolated it from the network.

bad times, and many times worse than eunice

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Worst storm? In UK no way.. southern England maybe.

I've sat in a 3 story barrack block in the Hebrides when it blew 126mph, that was measured in the Met office that we looked down on from the block.

In 1957 this happened, at Saxavord in the Shetlands

462163910_T80Myths1.thumb.jpg.bbb2ecb315f975c9143da99df3573f2f.jpg

That's 18.5 tons of aerial on the ground, the Type 80 Radar. There was an anemometer on the building, that recorded 174mph just before the aerial fell off.

By 1992, the modern radars are in a dome, so the anemometer blew away at 197mph.

Oh it's now blowing 42, hare on the Norfolk coast, forecast 60 later, 75mph tomorrow morning 06:00 just as I go to work. They haven't named this one for some reason.

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

one caused by falling from an overhead line after getting electrocuted because someone had connected a generator at his house, but not isolated it from the network.

How does that work then? - Was the house owner held responsible?

Griff

most certainly, though the operative should have assumed it live until proven dead, he had just come from further up the line where he had seen the overhead cable broken, and by this time a week into the thing was tired from long days and nights sleeping in the offices / depots.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Worst storm? In UK no way.. southern England maybe.

I've sat in a 3 story barrack block in the Hebrides when it blew 126mph, that was measured in the Met office that we looked down on from the block.

In 1957 this happened, at Saxavord in the Shetlands

462163910_T80Myths1.thumb.jpg.bbb2ecb315f975c9143da99df3573f2f.jpg

Oh it's now blowing 42, hare on the Norfolk coast, forecast 60 later, 75mph tomorrow morning 06:00 just as I go to work. They haven't named this one for some reason.

Think this latest one has been named Franklin.

Chris

5 hours ago, grendel said:

most certainly, though the operative should have assumed it live until proven dead, he had just come from further up the line where he had seen the overhead cable broken, and by this time a week into the thing was tired from long days and nights sleeping in the offices / depots.

The tragic reality of jobs like this, working on high power lines in times of stress. Mistakes are costly ...

Ramsgate is a notoriously bouncy marina in anything with E or S in the forecast but usually ok in anything from the west, there is very little between open sea and the pontoons, due to an afternoon in the pub I can't remember if it was 2018 or 2019 when we got there at the start of their sea week and got the pick of the moorings so headed for the most sheltered spot we could find, 2 days later it was packed and everything was bouncing around merrily, we had a good spot but still lively. :default_biggrin:

I like Ramsgate, a lot of good pubs and a lot of good bands to be found in them at the weekend.

Back on to power lines, we have solar on the roof and there is a very good reason why it cuts off if there is a power cut, I think it is called anti-islanding, so when the lines need fixing we are not making it live from the wrong side.

Well the wind is back up and it’s been absolutely pouring with rain. We came through torrential rain and flooding coming back up the A11 from the A14 this evening. Stay safe if you have to be out anywhere through the latest weather warnings. 

Just want to say a massive thank you to JawsOrca for contacting me earlier and fixing down one of our door covers which had broken and was just hanging on in the wind and also rescuing, wait for it, our life ring!  Just love this forum and how we help each other.  

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

Just want to say a massive thank you to JawsOrca for contacting me earlier and fixing down one of our door covers which had broken and was just hanging on in the wind and also rescuing, wait for it, our life ring!  Just love this forum and how we help each other.  

Oh geez, It's nothing, I wouldn't normally say anything but the way I had to tie I thought you may had wondered who's been on! plus you had lines in the water and your lifebelt was trying to escape!

I always have a good check on any boats our side though neighbourly care and all :)

(And all looking good if you are moored in "our" basin and no obvious issues those on the hardstanding).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I used to have a shed behind my garage. I haven't now. Well, the framework is there, but the roof and two walls are gone, splintered beyond repair. Never mind, some folk are without power, and have 3 feet of water in their living rooms. Mustn't grumble.

• Like 2

ah well, after all that wind and rain have gone, and its a lovely sunny day, thats when my power goes out, the only thing I found was that though my network keeps running, the tv I use as a screen for my work laptop went off (i really need another way on the UPS to keep the tv live) fortunately the power was only off for 5 minutes, so while the laptop kept powered up, I couldnt see the screen, my other laptop I have running for non work related stuff stayed live.

I do have another UPS I could run the TV off, but its a bit finniky and doesnt always cut in when the power drops. which was why it was swapped out.

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

ah well, after all that wind and rain have gone, and its a lovely sunny day, thats when my power goes out, the only thing I found was that though my network keeps running, the tv I use as a screen for my work laptop went off (i really need another way on the UPS to keep the tv live) fortunately the power was only off for 5 minutes, so while the laptop kept powered up, I couldnt see the screen, my other laptop I have running for non work related stuff stayed live.

I do have another UPS I could run the TV off, but its a bit finniky and doesnt always cut in when the power drops. which was why it was swapped out.

all this upto date technology, my mind boggles,  you seem to have a complicated life grendel,  well to me it is although i am into my 70s