BA Or Rspb

MauriceMynah

"I have not been angry since I came to France"

A quote from Shakespeare's Henry V.  but that is how I feel right now.   Mega rant coming.

The Broads Authority has teamed up with the RSPB to evict liveaboards from wild moorings, In this case the reedbeds just outside Sutton Staithe .

I have had sight of a letter informing those moored there that they are doing so without permission from the RSPB, and that they will have to move away. This letter was delivered by the Broads Authority.

I have here on my phone a photograph of the letter. There are several issues and questions this letter raises. It is stated that these boats have overstayed the 28 days they would be allowed, yet some ( or all ) of these boats are often accused of frequently using and overstaying on the Sutton Staithe 24hr moorings.  SORRY BA, which is it to be?

I do not expect a reply to that question as the thinking behind the letter is perfectly clear.  GET RID OF THE FEREL LIVEABOARDS.

Well shame on you both. If you honestly believe that these people are a threat to birdlife, and that homelessness is a fair price to pay, then I repeat, shame on you.

Further, I think it worth mentioning that these boats lie on mudweights and are not directly moored to what you claim is your land. 

To be honest I do not really think the RSPB would be particularly bothered by those moored there who do no harm, but I have no doubt that the BA is using the vast power of the RSPB to do their dirty work for them.

A "Packman must go " sticker has just been placed on my boat. I no longer have any faith in the BA as it currently is. 

I'd love to say  "rant over" but I suspect I'm only just starting.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

"I have not been angry since I came to France"

A quote from Shakespeare's Henry V. 

I recognise your reference to France as a "Crie de Coeur" but I would suggest something from the Bible, such as The Acts, 26 : 14.

And when we were all fallen to the earth I heard a voice speaking unto me and saying . . . . . . why persecutest thou me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

• Like 6

As long as livaboards, continuous cruisers (not sure what they prefer to be called) are not causing a problem or mess at moorings, why can't they just be left alone. 

I can't imagine how awful it must be to be homeless especially through our long winter months but I do know a little bit of caring and compassion can go a long way. They should be offered help rather than being turfed away x

• Like 9
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Gracie said:

They should be offered help rather than being turfed away

I thoroughly agree.

I also had no idea that the RSPB are claiming some sort of control over Sutton Broad. Their ever increasing influence in the Broads area is becoming rather sinister. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I thoroughly agree.

I also had no idea that the RSPB are claiming some sort of control over Sutton Broad. Their ever increasing influence in the Broads area is becoming rather sinister. 

I think the bought it when it came up for sale

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I thoroughly agree.

Hmm.  It’s a bit like the situation at Short Dyke then.  The BA are working with the RSPB, by not cutting the grass on the BA moorings, but just cutting access ways to the path.

Frankly, I’m not sure what will be achieved, as no birds will nest in long grass so close to the moorings surely, especially when there’s a great wide expanse of marshland just a few feet away.  It just smacks of another reason for saving a few quid by not strimming the moorings for the toll paying boating community.

When I spoke to someone at the Blessed Authority, I asked why this hadn’t been publicised, but they couldn’t  give me an answer.

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

But if they own the land do they also own half the river bed?

You could be fly tipping a mudweight. 

Only if you forget to attach a line to the mudweight, and/or to keep hold of and secure the end nearest the boat ...

• Like 1

I have noticed many many more no mooring signs in recent months along the rivers , the very popular “wild” mooring heading upstream on the bend before the Ranworth turning amongst the trees is one that comes to mind , this was always a popular spot for anglers and those who prefer solitude now sadly lost it seems .

I mentioned this to the Ranger (not the  Ranworth attendants) when last at Ranworth and he told me it was due to the detritus that had been left there earlier this year which the landowner had to clear up ; may I make a heartfelt plea to all whom wild moor - please leave the area as you would wish to find it and take your rubbish with you !

• Like 9

As far as the boats that moored in Sutton broad , the boats that I saw there on a regular basis left no visible mess , were moored away as opposed to in the reeds and I for one see no problem at all with them being there , the BA passing the buck to the RSPA is imho underhanded and beyond their remit.

Are boats not permitted to mudweight on tidal waters ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

As far as the boats that moored in Sutton broad , the boats that I saw there on a regular basis left no visible mess , were moored away as opposed to in the reeds and I for one see no problem at all with them being there , the BA passing the buck to the RSPA is imho underhanded and beyond their remit.

Are boats not permitted to mudweight on tidal waters ?

Not tidal, Tidal waters end at entrance to Barton Broad from River Ant. If you look at the Ordinance Survey you will see NTL  for Normal Tidal Limit.

20230704_160133.thumb.jpg.d5f273c937a7e3ff74cb47957d333979.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Only if you forget to attach a line to the mudweight, and/or to keep hold of and secure the end nearest the boat ...

Although this has nothing to do with this thread I just want to add that I do find it most helpful if you let go of the rope when swinging the mud weight out, one could end up in a heap on the bow of the boat or going for an unexpected dip if you hang on to it :facepalm:Not that I have ever done such a thing of course :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Although this has nothing to do with this thread I just want to add that I do find it most helpful if you let go of the rope when swinging the mud weight out, one could end up in a heap on the bow of the boat or going for an unexpected dip if you hang on to it :facepalm:Not that I have ever done such a thing of course :default_biggrin: x

Video links please! :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I can’t for a moment agree with either the Blessed Authority or the now very political RSPB in wanting to move the liveaboards from Sutton Broad, just what harm are they doing?

However if said boats are not tolled, BSS or insured, then they shouldn’t be in the water at any location 

Just my opinion 

Griff

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I can’t for a moment agree with either the Blessed Authority or the now very political RSPB in wanting to move the liveaboards from Sutton Broad, just what harm are they doing?

However if said boats are not tolled, BSS or insured, then they shouldn’t be in the water at any location 

Just my opinion 

Griff

I agree 100%.

• Like 1

With the greatest respect, May I just remind you that these boats are not holiday craft, but the homes of people, some of whom the word "vulnerable " is an understatement. 

I don't wish to go bleeding hearts here but would point out that my living on a boat was about the only option open to me.

My circumstances are such that I can afford a mooring and the  "over inflation" tolls, but bricks and mortar are beyond my budget without having to make the "heat or eat" choice.

Many of the continuous cruisers are not in my affluent situation. Hells teeth,  some of them don't even have gin on board.

The BA seems to have learned from Jennersgate, that an openly hostile regime, forcing these people into impossible situations doesn't make for good press.

On the other hand the RSPB has no remit to put people first, on the contrary people can starve as long as the rosy breasted nutscratcher has somewhere to roost.

Water off a ducks back for the RSPB, and "not our decision,  powerless to help" from the BA.

What a wonderful caring society we now live in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

A quick question here, as most of the River bed on the Broads (there are one or two stretches it doesn't apply like Norwich and some Broads) are Crown Property who has the right to move anyone mudweighting and not attached to Private Land or obstructing the Navigation, surely it is the landowners responsibility to get a court order to remove trespassers.

It seems more and more that both the RSPB and BA are only interested in their own agenda.

Fred

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

... my living on a boat was about the only option open to me.

"about the only option" is different to "the only option".

Having nearly been made homeless with two kids in the early nineties I don't believe that in this day and age anyone is forced to live on a boat; it's an option. And I don't believe local authorities dealing with these people in East Anglia would encourage it, especially on the broads.

• Like 1