An Adventure Of Mystique

I've stayed at the Travelodge in Acle too Simon, it served it's purpose. We were having a heat wave at the time, it was very hot and stuffy and you could only push the window open a little way

I hope you and Mel have a lovely time in spite of this awful weather

I think the Boss is very brave watching that film with the ruddy weather doing what it's doing at the moment :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1

A word about the Travelodge at Acle: During the winter months when I first started on my boat, staying there helped me get on with the work. I would leave home Friday evening and get there for about 21.30. Shower, tv, beer and crash out in a warm bed. Usual price was about £29 - £32. I would take my own food but nip over to the service station next door for a pint of milk and be onboard around mid morning. I then had time to warm the boat up for the Saturday night if I was staying over.

The only gripe is the same with all hotels, people who can't read the "please be considerate..." signs asking them to be quiet at night.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this boat, Simon. It looks like it'd be a good option for myself and Mrs OG.

I think the Ricko's handover thing is a new procedure to show that they're taking onboard recommendations off the back of the spate of accidents that took place in the insanely busy seasons of 20/21.

When I turned up at Stalham last, we were told much the same and that everyone must go for a river trial etc and we would need to wait until someone is available. Once we were aboard the boat they quickly established that I knew more about the boat than them and we were off without a trial.

• Like 3

Much the same happened to us when we hired on the Canal du Midi.  The chap from Connoiseur came to show us the ropes  and  give us some instruction and after about 30 seconds asked us to drop him off at the coffee shop  100 metres away.

Carole

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this boat, Simon. It looks like it'd be a good option for myself and Mrs OG.

I think the Ricko's handover thing is a new procedure to show that they're taking onboard recommendations off the back of the spate of accidents that took place in the insanely busy seasons of 20/21.

When I turned up at Stalham last, we were told much the same and that everyone must go for a river trial etc and we would need to wait until someone is available. Once we were aboard the boat they quickly established that I knew more about the boat than them and we were off without a trial.

So far, so good with the boat, John. It's good value for money being nicely furnished and having bow thrusters, electric roof and electric mudweight. It's compact and storage could be better but the layout works well.

Re the handover, the river trial was compulsory for us. I felt a little nervous at the end reversing the boat back in to the tight spot where we'd started. I didn't want to mess it up in case I failed!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . . . I felt a little nervous at the end reversing the boat back in to the tight spot where we'd started. I didn't want to mess it up in case I failed!

Based on some of the antics I witnessed during our recent holiday, I wouldn’t have thought that you’d have cause to worry.  I’ve been visiting The Broads for so long, I thought I’d seen it all, but apparently not.  Folk’s ingenuity in coming up with new methods to cause me concern, whether for our safety, our boat’s or theirs on every visit, continues to surprise me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Based on some of the antics I witnessed during our recent holiday, I wouldn’t have thought that you’d have cause to worry.  I’ve been visiting The Broads for so long, I thought I’d seen it all, but apparently not.  Folk’s ingenuity in coming up with new methods to cause me concern, whether for our safety, our boat’s or theirs on every visit, continues to surprise me!

Even though Ive quoted you this is a general thought. Dont our tolerance level reduce as we get older.

33 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Even though Ive quoted you this is a general thought. Dont our tolerance level reduce as we get older.

16 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You mean grumpy old git syndrome? I'm already practicing. 

Maybe my ‘utter stupidity’ sensor has become more acute with age, but I maintain that new levels were attained by a couple of hirers during our recent visit.

My grumpy old git syndrome is already finely tuned, but I firmly believe that I am able to determine the difference between the two!

• Like 1

My grumpy old git sense tingles every day on many topics, my newly purchased dashcam enables me to indulge myself endlessly. It will be coming to the broads soon on my freshly purchased portable 12 v powered mounting. Hitting and driving away will no longer be invisible and I will ( I promise ) take action against each and every one. “It’s not my fault I’m a beginner”, an excuse I’ve heard multiple times, and “ that’s what insurance is for “ being another. The latter after being hit 5 times in quick succession by someone who tried mooring with the tide and the wind…What makes that one worse was standing next to the idiot was a very experienced round Britain sailor, who stood and did nothing. 

Yes Victor says Fiona lol 😂 

Does that really require a #Sarc tag ?…..

Monday 31st July

It was a drizzly start to the day as I took Suzie out about 7-30 but it soon cheered up and somehow we got away with virtually no rain for the rest of the day, albeit windy and cool. We continued upstream, initial destination, Loddon Staithe. On the Chet we passed a few boats coming the opposite direction so I guessed there would be space at the Staithe when we arrived and sure enough only a couple of boats remained. We relaxed at Loddon for a while, having a walk up the main street and then food back on board. We returned down the Chet later. Mystique can be a bit vague on the steering and I confess after a momentary lapse of concentration I did drift in to the bank slightly as the river narrows towards the Yare. Good job I'd already "passed" the trial run! Our destination for the night was Rockland Staithe. The Yare was cold, blowy and autumnal-feeling. It was exceptionally quiet though. We arrived at Rockland around 4pm, 4 boats already there and nobody came in after us. We dined at the New Inn which was excellent. It has a "locals pub" feel about it, good service and good value for money.

20230731_104642.jpg

20230731_154304.jpg

20230731_165117.jpg

20230731_171345.jpg

• Like 9

Yes, funny little trio they are. If you are friendly to them, they tend to be friendly back. One of them uses a mobility scooter.  His life was saved by one of the others in Afghanistan.  I think all three are military people with the drug and alcohol abuse being the only way they can cope with today. The language is often pretty ripe too, which is a pity, but people are people, what you see is what you get.

• Like 2

I'd assumed the guy in the scooter was ex forces but never actually chatted to him other than the usual hi/morning in passing sort of thing.

I've never had any problems at loddon basin, maybe I just look like a dealer so they're nice to me....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I don’t recall the weed/plant growth across Rockland Broad being so dense before.  It’s encroaching into the marked channel in places, or was when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

I visited brundall a couple of weeks ago not been there for 20 years and was really surprised to see water lilies growing in Hoboroughs dyke I guess the waters cleaner and maybe less salty?

Great holiday tale and photos Simon, many thanks for sharing. Looks a nice boat, I really don’t think you can beat those centre steer Alphacrafts, loads of room inside and a large berth under the bow making best use of the space, low air draught with the top down, yet good visibility from the raised steering position.

I think that accident at Yarmouth has understandably made the yards extra cautious and no doubt the BA are checking them too. Although we’ve been hiring from Bridgecraft for many years they now always ask us to do a trial run before we set off. They also ask us to watch the safety videos. We had a long chat with one of the rangers at Salhouse last year and explained the procedures Bridgecraft had put in place. I think even for experienced hirers it’s a sensible precaution. I can understand the yards position and it’s good that they are taking things so seriously.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Roy said:

I visited brundall a couple of weeks ago not been there for 20 years and was really surprised to see water lilies growing in Hoboroughs dyke I guess the waters cleaner and maybe less salty?

We moor our boat at a marina off Hobrough’s Dyke and have noticed the weed growth there, too.  I’m no expert on the water lilies, but I believe that the yellow ones are more tolerant of water condition than the white ones, so I’m not sure that their presence is an indication of water quality.

Silver mystique  is best boat we’ve ever Hired. It’s so practical easy to move about. Comfortable well fitted out. We should have been on her in September but as she has moved up on the Dark side it scuppered are southern plans.  Looks like your having fun on her Simon👍 Enjoy the rest of your Holibobs 👍👍

• Like 1

Tuesday 1st August

Today we set off around 0830 and continued upstream, initial destination Norwich Yacht Station. I was glad we were with the tide today as we'd pushed against it yesterday afternoon and hadn't managed much over 4.5 mph. It was an easy, peaceful journey and we were greeted in Norwich by the ranger who once again set our mooring lines for us and took our £8 daytime fee. We took the opportunity for a walk and a bit of shopping. We visited Jarrold's which, being the department store (remember those?) it is feels like going back in time. We returned to the boat for some lunch aboard and then returned downstream. We had a table and overnight mooring booked at the Surlingham Ferry House, probably my second favourite Broads pub after the Lion at Thurne. The meal there didn't disappoint - I had a ribeye steak and Mel had a lasagne.

20230801_075357.jpg

20230802_101517.jpg

20230801_083916.jpg

20230801_112610.jpg

20230801_153912.jpg

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Love your photos. I’ve been watching a vlog on the southern rivers and thinking that I really must get back there. Problem is I want to hire on the south rather than bother crossing Breydon. That would just be additional expense for a 10 or 11 day hire from the north so as to have a week on the south. Problem is there’s nothing that suits us from Pacific so it might have to be Brooms.

Keep showing us your photos and that will do me for now. 

• Like 2