The Maltsters

NorfolkNog

5 hours ago, floydraser said:

Bright, lively staff are the expectation now, along with decent food, beer and a choice of gins and mixers. A manager trained by a brewery is more likely to be aware that it's not about just being there anymore, it's about competition. Gordon Ramsey highlighted this in his Kitchen Nightmares in the UK before he went all Hollywood.

If only, sadly you can replace the bright lively staff with disinterested underpaid youngsters in to many cases now and that's been one of the problems here.

Fred

• Like 5

With beer at around £5 a pint, main course meals - often of the microwaved Brake Bros variety -  approaching £20 and more for anything half-decent, I am not surprised that some of the pubs are struggling. Couple that with the BA's mooring "pay-wall", the ever-escalating cost of boating, both private and hired, and the cost of living crisis, the future looks very bleak. Not sure what the answer is but if things go on as they are, we'll be lucky if there are any pubs left in a couple of years time. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

The debt ridden pubcos are trying to squeeze ever last drop out of their leaseholders. Add business rates, fuel, staff etc the pressure is certainly on pubs now. But the Red Lion in Cromer was rammed yesterday. Rick Malt has done an amazing job with the Lion and White Horse. On thr Broads it's often the pubco pubs that struggle eg Maltsters, New Inn etc. 

But speaking personally if I have the choice of a well kept albeit five quid pint in a warm friendly pub or a pack of John Smiths at my kitchen table the pub wins hands down every time for me. 

Mind you I might have to drink more slowly or put Mrs Nog on singles.... :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

the day I can't drink in a pub I'll give up!!!! 

Interesting the different perspectives. We like a meal out at lunchtime if we happen to be moored somewhere close by. But otherwise the pubs make no difference to us and are not what we’re looking for.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Interesting the different perspectives. We like a meal out at lunchtime if we happen to be moored somewhere close by. But otherwise the pubs make no difference to us and are not what we’re looking for.  

Fair comment Jean. If only say 25 per cent of a village supported a pub it would survive. We can't all like the same things! 

• Like 6

Each to their own of course, I have always loved our great pubs. Where I live we have lost a few in the last couple of years. To see a beautiful old country pub turned into flats is another terrible loss for our culture and History and takes away some of the character of those little villages and towns

You can't beat that lovely feeling you get when you walk into an old Inn with a roaring fire and friendly locals

We use those pubs around here and on the Broads when we are there as much as we can. If we don't use them we will lose them. Unfortunately in these trying times with money short and people struggling, it's no wonder we are losing so many along with local shops and businesses  x

:default_xmas6:

• Like 4

We do like to support local businesses where we can. We shop quite a lot at Roys … both sides of the road 🤭 … and also over at Meale’s farm shop where of course we usually end up in Vera’s coffee shop as well. 

Friday evening we had an excellent meal at the Granary at Ranworth. They’re serving their Christmas set price menu now on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings as far as I know. It was well worth it. Lovely food and friendly service. 🎄

• Like 4
  • Love 1

For me the appeal of a good pub is good food and the taste of what's on draught. Needing gluten-free it's rare to find a pub with beer on draught I can have (though thankfully there are exceptions) but thankfully I like draught cider almost as much. Cans and bottles are never quite the same.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

We do like to support local businesses where we can. We shop quite a lot at Roys … both sides of the road 🤭 … and also over at Meale’s farm shop where of course we usually end up in Vera’s coffee shop as well. 

Friday evening we had an excellent meal at the Granary at Ranworth. They’re serving their Christmas set price menu now on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings as far as I know. It was well worth it. Lovely food and friendly service. 🎄

Roys support local businesses and farmers, I believe that the Kings Arms at Ludham/Womack, support the local butcher at Ludham. who in turn support local farmers. The Granary at Ranworth, what a successful new venture! A great venue, focused, and now in a short period of time, a go to place.

I have identified a few who have confidence in The Broads. There are others, some need guidance, lack a degree of busyness acumen.

This is where the BA needs to assist, not in planning, not in marketing, not in ecological matters, plenty of them about.

They need to be identified as an organisation that is able to act as an advisory body to, basically help, those who need professional experience. Not for the BA to provide that help, but to  use their knowledge and experience to direct those with a specific requirement towards those who have an expertise with regard to a  specific issue or problem.

A Broads Authority that cares.

Old Wussername    

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

For me the appeal of a good pub is good food and the taste of what's on draught. Needing gluten-free it's rare to find a pub with beer on draught I can have (though thankfully there are exceptions) but thankfully I like draught cider almost as much. Cans and bottles are never quite the same.

If you find yourself in St.neots our regular has quite a few gluten free beers, the chewy stout I drink is gluten free, I'm not gluten intolerant though I'm just a pi55head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, dom said:

April Fool's day

As Good Friday falls on 29th March, I’m surprised that the BA aren’t capitalising on an early Bank Holiday and starting to charge from then.

12 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As Good Friday falls on 29th March, I’m surprised that the BA aren’t capitalising on an early Bank Holiday and starting to charge from then.

Don't give them ideas, some of us are boating during March 😄.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Don't give them ideas, some of us are boating during March 😄.

Hope you’ve hired a boat with a low airdraft, Simon.  Unless we get several weeks of dry weather and favourable winds, I can’t see these river levels dropping for some time.

• Like 2

Charges of £10 for an overnight stay, £5 for a daytime visit and £3 for a powered boat using the dinghy dyke at Ranworth will only apply during the main season from April to October.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/frequently-asked-questions-navigation-charges-2023

If they start charging earlier, it'll be a change to advertised policy.

The more pertinent question is probably when will they start charging at Reedham?

59 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

As they start at the beginning of April I might don my hi viz vest and do Easter weekend to help pay for the increased toll fee.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

The Maltsters should be reopening the 27th March. (Not much more information at the moment) 

John 

The brewery are currently carrying out a lot of work inside the building and it is hoped to be open for Easter. I believe, based on a comment he made on another site, that Steve Gray who has the Granery, on the Staithe is taking it on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Hope you’ve hired a boat with a low airdraft, Simon.  Unless we get several weeks of dry weather and favourable winds, I can’t see these river levels dropping for some time.

Yes, thank goodness, Malcom, I'm on a Brinks Encore. I'm not expecting to get under Wroxham or Wayford though.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Yes, thank goodness, Malcom, I'm on a Brinks Encore. I'm not expecting to get under Wroxham or Wayford though.

Surely you’ll get under Wayford in a bathtub.  Wroxham is unlikely though.  Just to cheer you up, it’s been hammering down again in Norfolk, as if the levels needed topping up a bit more!

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Surely you’ll get under Wayford in a bathtub

Well, possibly. I'm just thinking about last October on Royal Velvet when I squeezed under Wayford but with the tide rising got cold feet and returned through straightaway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1