The Maltsters

NorfolkNog

I've always found it slightly scary, mainly due to the panel that hangs down on the upstream side. I know it's there to make the clearance consistent with the downstream side but when you're going upstream it looks like clearance is reducing due to the board.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live about a mile away and it’s our only pub, hopefully the new owners will do good food, that’s the only thing that keeps places going. Need to take tips from recruiting sergeant as that place is always packed.

1 hour ago, Nessie said:

I live about a mile away and it’s our only pub, hopefully the new owners will do good food, that’s the only thing that keeps places going. Need to take tips from recruiting sergeant as that place is always packed.

It should be open for Easter. It is being taken over by Steve Gray who also runs the Granary Restaurant, which is accross from the Maltsters and  gets very good reviews. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I hope he keeps The Maltsters dog friendly as the Granary isn’t 

Griff

I hope so too. Pubs that don't allow dogs are missing a trick I think. I've never been in the Granary, just wonder if it's very small inside which might make it less suitable for dogs. Having said that the majority of micro pubs which I visit are almost always dog friendly.

Hope he has some beer on too. 

Oh, and the old chestnut that they serve food is not a valid excuse. Of course operators are free to make their own rules.

• Like 2

Just putting it out there ... not everyone wants other people's dogs around them when they go out ... I know dog owners love their own and other people's dogs but not everyone does. :default_hiding:

• Like 10

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Just putting it out there ... not everyone wants other people's dogs around them when they go out ... I know dog owners love their own and other people's dogs but not everyone does. :default_hiding:

That's fair enough. I think the ideal thing is somewhere like The Lion where they allow dogs but also have a non-dog area.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Allowing dogs into a pub is probably a financially good thing but in a way allowing dogs in a pub is like allowing children in a pub!  Some love them some don't!

An example of a pub being dog friendly occurred some weeks back in a pub just outside Norwich where we took my 95 year old and relatively frail mother in law.  We were just finishing and about to leave when a couple arrived in the adjacent area of tables and then some friends arrived with a VERY large dog.  I overhead the other friends saying something like I see they have brought the beast along!  The tables were quite close and one of the first things the dog did was look around and sniff out people including mother in law - who it licked.  If she had been standing up, it would have almost certainly knocked her over.  This was not a good example of allowing a dog into a pub!

• Like 3

I can see Jean's point of view here. Certainly in my experience of visiting pubs, owners are mostly very responsible and keep their pets under control. Although we don't have a dog ourselves we do like dogs and Mrs N usually has dog biscuits in her bag. Many pubs have a sign to say dogs must be kept on a lead and/or well behaved dogs are welcome. It's maybe a bit like boaters and fishermen, a bit of mutual respect goes a long way! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with the comments and I would certainly try and keep our VERY LARGE dogs away from others and tend to sit outside our find a quiet spot in the pub, so if people do want to come over and say hello they can, but allow those who dont want to be around dogs, have their space also.

Its about being respectful and a good owner

I though tend to steer clear of pubs who dont allow dogs or even children, even if I didn't have my dogs with me or my children or grandchildren, because a public house in my view should be that....a place for the public!

• Like 6

Very timely. I read this at lunchtime and we've just been out to a garden centre and went into the cafe for a cuppa. There were two sofas in one part, wife on one, husband on the other with two dogs on the sofa with him. Until one of the dogs decided to go off and try and get a fuss from everyone in the cafe. Of course he very half heartedly tried to call it back but just sat there and let it drag in all the attention. And as we were all very British, no-one said a word in protest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I can see Jean's point of view here. Certainly in my experience of visiting pubs, owners are mostly very responsible and keep their pets under control. Although we don't have a dog ourselves we do like dogs and Mrs N usually has dog biscuits in her bag. Many pubs have a sign to say dogs must be kept on a lead . . . . . .

Correct.  Most folk in a pub wouldn’t even realise we had a dog with us.  She is really well behaved and lays down by the side of our table.

To be honest, I have a bigger issue with children who run around in a pub and treat the establishment like a big playground.  I always wonder what the parents would say and how they’d react if one of their offspring tripped a waiter or waitress and had hot food or a tray of drinks spilled over them.

I realise that they have a lot of energy to run off, but there is a time and a place and in my opinion, the inside of a pub isn’t the place.

• Like 11

The only problem with dogs in pubs or anywhere come to that, is not the dog, but the owner. 

I was on the bus the other day when some self entitled young person got on with her toy dog and proceeded to firstly sit down in the priority seats when clearly they didn't need it, followed by lifting her dog with wet muddy paws to sit on the other priority seat next to her.

OK that dog maybe her world  but really! Have some consideration for the next less able bodied person who actually needs to use that seat. 

• Like 5

I don't mind children or dogs in a pub as long as they are well behaved and respectful of other pub goers. I've seen bad behaviour in a couple of pubs, it's adults rather than children and dogs that have caused a problem

It's my view that some children and pets are better behaved than some adults propping up the bar having a skinful 

Grace x

• Like 5

We always take Bramble with us into the various pubs we use when in Broadland we are however aware that she is young and overly friendly and keep her on her lead , we a couple of exceptions where we (and her) know everyone and it’s permitted .

That said beware at the spring meet as she regards empty laps as fair game (as Neil found out last year) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We always take Bramble with us into the various pubs we use when in Broadland we are however aware that she is young and overly friendly and keep her on her lead , we a couple of exceptions where we (and her) know everyone and it’s permitted .

That said beware at the spring meet as she regards empty laps as fair game (as Neil found out last year) 

Looking forward to that but our dog Purdy will want to get on your lap to get her own back! :default_smile:

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

25 minutes ago, Happy said:

Looking forward to that but our dog Purdy will want to get on your lap to get her own back! :default_smile:

Bring it on, I've a big lap!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

As has been mentioned above, dogs are fine in pubs if well behaved, its the owners that have no control over them because they have spoilt them, and then just assume everyone loves them that spoils it for everyone. I say that as a dog (well 3 actually) owner myself. 

Same with children. If parents can't control their children, the pub is not the place for them.  I love to see families out for a meal with nicely behaved children, but some folk just take them with then then just forget about them which is a shame.

• Like 4