Question for all boat owners?

Mandybstorm

Hi Mandy.

I would check with syndicate committee to see what you need to take with you.

What we do on Ranworth Breeze is that the mattress, pillow protectors, pillows and duvets are provided by the syndicate (we tend to replace these each season, laundering is not cost effective) and each owner brings their bottom sheet, duvet and pillow covers.

We also take a large fleece for those cold nights out of season, this also collects any condensation rather than it being on any of the other bedding.

I would assume that towels and tea towels should be part of your boat kit.

If you are taking toilet rolls again check with your committee about what can and can't be used aboard your boat.

We insist that only thin two part tissue can be used, the thicker stuff causes issues with any toilet system, toilet wipes etc are also not to be used.

Hire boats used to have notices in the toilets/bathrooms stating that unless you have eaten it nothing other than thin toilet paper is to be put down the toilet. 

Our syndicate purchases a quantity of the correct toilet rolls for the season start, any contraband is swiftly removed. Before our committee took over the syndicate we were getting up to 6 calls outs a season for unblocking the toilets.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Mandy.

If you are taking toilet rolls again check with yoBefore our committee took over the syndicate we were getting up to 6 calls outs a season for unblocking the toilet.

Regards

Alan

6 call-outs a season?

Blimey, Alan, don't your members know how to use a plunger? (Or even a spanner or two?). :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Hi Mark,

You have my sympathy there, the macerators just get clogged up with that stuff and toilet repairs are not the best jobs aboard a boat.

There is a trend for fitting electric toilets without thinking about if the boat is suitable. There are issues in operation (easier to clog up) use more water and hence earlier put outs.

Sorry for going off topic.

John,

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, likewise we have a few other owners who are also engineers or are handy on the tools, not everyone who owns or hires a boat is that way inclined.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 1

John,

I don't mind getting my hands dirty, likewise we have a few other owners who are also engineers or are handy on the tools, not everyone who owns or hires a boat is that way inclined.

Regards

Alan  

Sorreeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Alan! I'd forgotten all about electric toilets.... :cry :cry :cry

I was, of course, talking about good old-fashioned (and so easy to unblock) pump-toilets!  :wave

• Like 1

I've always used the cheapest bog roll I can find, we ran out once and bought some good stuff, never again! instant blockage and then a few more, as we were in Wroxham I went into Roys and bought their cheap stuff and still use cheap stuff and never had a blockage since, if you actually read the Jabsco instructions it does tell you to use basic cheap bog roll,,,

Frank,,,, 

• Like 1

Bedding: Royal Tudor has her original sprung leather paliases, so here is my bedding list...quite comprehensive...imitation sheepskin base cover...then single duvet which is used to lay on...then a double duvet as the cover...two fleece blankets (just in case) finally two beagles to act as hot water bottles.

Bog Roll: The original operating instructions for Royal Tudor's thunder-box, still attached to the door in the heads, states

"Unless you have already eaten it, with the exception of two ply tissue, do not place it in this toilet."

There was a further notice pinned to the back of the door by myself which reads

"Do not use this appliance if there is a public convenience available within a one mile radius of the boat's location unless you have the cash available to pay for the next pump out!"

I did mention I'm a Yorkshireman didn't I?  :huh:

• Like 4

As far as bedding is concerned, one of the easiest solutions is to use sheet sleeping bags. They are available in single or double. Really saves on the bruised head when making up the beds, frustration with odd shaped mattresses  and will also slip inside standard sleeping bags to reduce cleaning costs.

Hi John,

We don't have them either but I know of boats that have had them fitted even though the boatyards fitting them have said it was a bad idea.

A narrow boat we hired had two electric toilets fitted the forward one used twice the amount of water, we ended up having a pump out after 3 days, the crew of course were all using onshore facilities as per our normal regime when ever possible.

Hi Tim,

A mate of mine came aboard and decided that we needed a chart posting outside the toilet doors, you could have so may ticks only against so many number 1's and number 2's he was only joking, well I think he was :naughty:

Regards

Alan

Duvets and fitted sheets or we have a couple of sleeping bag liners which are as good as Trevor says; a fleece each completes a cosy bed...Roy's £15 . :)

Because we regularly sleep on saloon berths, I made bed roll covers from our upholstery fabric and put webbing and clips to secure. These tuck under the tumble home as bolsters. Rather than cushions, I covered standard pillows with upholstery fabric too and we put a pillowcase over at night.

Don't get me started on the loo! :) if you wish to see an identical one, the Baby Blake with brass cylinders in the Museum of the Broads is a twin. We treat it with utmost respect, and use Thetford loo roll only. :)

post-24134-0-24758200-1408196169_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

We tend to go for 4.5 & 13.5 tog duvets and let the owners choose which they want to use, if they have guests then they have to work it out. we swap out the mattress and pillow protectors on every visit we make down to the Broads, even so it makes sense to replace the duvets, pillows and protectors each season. We all fight mould on any boat so any steps taken to reduce this is worthwhile.

How many of you use the moisture traps?

Regards

Alan

Hi all

MS has a selection of quilts and pillows.  Owners have to bring their own covers and pillow cases.  Towels/Tea Cloths are the responsibility of the owners, none are onboard.

We bring along our own sleeping bags which is why we don't know what tog the ones on board are.

SueH

"How many of you use the moisture traps?"

No I don't. Actually I try to remember to go to the toilet last thing before I go to bed.

It's all lies you know! I've seen MM use his moisture trap on the odd pint or two...Moisture Trap is 'posh darn 'sarf' for the cake'ole int it?

• Like 1

We have a light weight duvet and a heavy weight duvet, depending on the temperatue as which one is on top and which is under us, and a sheet for when it's too hot for either.

As for bog roll, charmin or whatever it's called these days, never had a blockage yet other than some weed in the flush water intake once.

Leo is just a private boat not a syndicate boat so it's only us and the mutt.

• Like 1

We Have top and bottom sheets, duvets ,when its cold hot water bottle,this year we have outside window covers made by creative covers late of eastwood now at catfield very very good and not to costly.

loo roll from morrisons . We to are a private boat like liberty what makes you comfortable

• Like 1

Duvets and pillows onboard all year round, but taken home for a wash as and when needed.

Bottom fitted sheets, Duvet covers and pillow cases brought onboard / taken home for each visit.

Sometimes but rarely sleeping bags used - generally only in the winter if it's really cold