favourite hire boat

JimG

Hi Jim

Great topic, I love hire boats.

We have hired mainly from Richardsons and have loved every boat we've been on to be honest. I suppose Broadland Mars for a family boat and then Broadland Wave/Star Gem for boats just for two.

I'm ashamed to admit we have never been on a Woody, something we will have to remedy one day.

We are trying to work our way through the whole Richardsons fleet so our favourites will probably change over the coming years Lol

Grace

I think Dan started a similar thread to this one some time ago.

My all time favourite boat was Maffett Cruisers ORIGINAL Kingfisher. She was a wooden topped DC30, and was fitted for 3-5. i hired her 7 times from september 79 to september 03, and loved her. She was the perfect boat for 2, and with a little modification inside would have been perfect for Karen and me. Sadly, John and Lynda sold her on, and for the last 3-4 years, she`s been under a tarp on the hard at Hippersons yard. Now if that came up for sale at the right price when i first got my payout earlier this year, then my heart would have one over my head.

I still remember looking at her gleaming white hull, decks and coachroof, with the varnished cabin sides and rubbing strakes at the gunwhale.

Absolute perfection.

I've just posted on a similar thread in the hire boat section

Our first boat was a Brooms Navigator, a traditional wooden boat (sometime in the early 80’s)

It was cold and let in water but we loved it ........ We must have, we are still coming back time after time

I think your first boat is always a bit special

I was wondering if therewas any still around in private hands

David

I'm just sitting here in Riyadh reflecting on my love of Broads boats and it all started in 1971 or 1972 when I hired Glistening Stream from Southgates in Horning. Since then, I think I've hired from most yards in the northern broads and quite a few in the south (not many left now). When I could afford it, I would hire a nice one and when money was tight, I would drive to the boatyards and see what was available on "last minute offers", so I think I've cruised on the 'best' and the 'not so good'. I've always accepted what I hired and enjoyed every minute of every boat, because the Broads is such a special place. In April this year, I hired Fair Monarch for myself, my wife and 2 daughters. It was probably one of the best boats I had hired. Last month, I hired Carousel from Richos and she is in a different league for 4 people. I have her again next March and I think I can say that it would be difficult now to hire anything of a lesser standard. Good move - or bad move - I honestly don't know.

I have hired many different boats and as Eric mentions it is the broads that makes them all special. There is however one boat that I just fell in love with.....many of you can probably guess which one from my previous posts. We hired Swallow from Maffett Cruisers at Loddon (Chedgrave) when we needed something not so expensive. We did this following some posts from Neil (Speedtriple). I have hired her for next year as well. Lovely boat for two. Comfortable but basic, handles like a dream. She does have a small flat screen tv and DVD player so not basic basic.

Been holidaying on the Broads since '58 and there isn't one of the boats we hired that I didn't like.

Here's a few of them. Landamore's Vestella 4, lovely woody and special memories of my first Broads holiday.

Richardson's Crusader 1, a well used (for want of a better description) woody – we were five teenage lads so I can't blame them for not letting us have a new boat.

Now probably the one I would pick as my favourite, Chumley & Hawkes Constellation 2 which we hired twice.

Our first GRP boat was a 42ft Connoisseur, from Porter & Haylett, unbelievably roomy compared with the wooden boats we had hired.

Brooms' Admiral 7 another woody in pretty good condition considering how many years it had been on hire.

Even in less affluent times when we were down to hiring for five days via a Sun newspaper deal we enjoyed our holidays on such boats as Richardson's Saucy Gem 4 a well used DC30, basic but lovely and clean.

We are now into shared ownership first with a share in Moonlight Shadow, a lovely AF38 Pearl which was unfortunately a little too small for us with the granchildren coming along so we now have a share in Lightning, a superb AF43 Diamond which we hope to keep for many years to come.

Roy

Well as I said earier this week Melody 4 is the fav of Kaz but having just got home from having Broadway and it got the seal of approval and can be booked again (overtime needed) we had Carousel which was a good boat ( I like ) but Kaz said it was too big for her to enjoy at the wheel (great I get to have ago).

I await my booking orders shortly.

this year hired our first center steering cruiser madeira 2 from richos great views over reed beds with screen and top down loads of room and extremy quiet ,best yet so far but we have booked Antigua 2 for 11 days next july looks even better than madeira , no more bathtubs for us centers all the way.

• Like 1

Once you have gone Centre Cockpit of Flybridge you never go back.......

Unless your getting like me, auld and decrepit, and the requirements of the wan level floor :naughty: it has to be forward steering, cumfy bath tub. Ohhh dinny get me wrong, had centre cockpit craft for years, yes best for all round vision,and manouvering, if not always - pending how high above the waterline - getting off! 

Personaly I have had lots of bests boats, but picking one, aye well, hmm, defo has to be first ever hire from Porter & Haylett....Sun Glory. :)

cheers Iain

• Like 1

That photo of Admiral reminds me of what an elegant design it was. I guess in 1986 it was close to the end of its time in the hire fleet so count yourself lucky Jim!

I would find it hard to choose a single favourite because boats are so different and no one design is perfect at everything. If I had to choose one I'd pick Gainsborough Girl from Summercraft which I hired in 2010. I love the dual steer design and the Brister interior was great. I loved Distant Horizon as well even though the interior is less fancy and its missing a screen up top. They don't go under all the bridges of course so I couldn't hire one of those all the time.