Invasion Of Privacy Or Passion For Boats?

Timbo

17 hours ago, Gracie said:

I have been guilty of cruising quite close to moored Boats, being nosy, yes, a passion for Boats and wanting to get a good look, yes, I don't consider myself an idiot though. Having given it some thought, maybe it's an invasion of privacy, would I like it, no, will I do it in the hopefully not too distant future, no, not after reading some of the above.

I wonder if Griff might have supporting evidence but...is it a thing with wooden boats or ex hire boats? On two occasions I've had folks just clamber aboard the boat 'for a look around'. One elderly couple totally unapologetic when challenged and berating me for making changes to the colour scheme of 'their' boat they once hired. I've had one numpty stick his pocket knife into the woodwork several times 'to check it's condition'. I've even had a woman poke her walking stick through the window and twitch the curtains aside, while I was getting out of the shower, because 'she wanted to see what the inside looked like'.

• Like 3

I've been pondering something Gracie said on another thread. I wonder if Griff might have supporting evidence but...is it a thing with wooden boats or ex hire boats? On two occasions I've had folks just clamber aboard the boat 'for a look around'. One elderly couple totally unapologetic when challenged and berating me for making changes to the colour scheme of 'their' boat they once hired. I've had one numpty stick his pocket knife into the woodwork several times 'to check it's condition'. I've even had a woman poke her walking stick through the window and twitch the curtains aside, while I was getting out of the shower, because 'she wanted to see what the inside looked like'.

Now I am passionate about boats, Broads Boats...er wooden ones...mostly, and I'm all for 'sharing' my enjoyment of my boat with others but on occasion it can be somewhat intrusive. I had to alter my morning ritual of coffee, cigarette and er...scratch after I was captured on Tubeface by someone up at the crack of Sparrowf*** filming the boat. They were good enough to take their film down and edit me out.

I have been toying with the idea of making up some sort of board detailing RT's history so anyone interested can take a look without disturbing me mid ablution.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy yacking on about my boat, the kettle is always on, the Rioja always at the right temperature and there's beer in the fridge (when I get it fitted) but there is an etiquette involved. I won't even board someone's boat without their permission so is there something about wooden boats or is it ex hire cruisers that give a sense of 'ownership' to the public...or is it just...I don't know...folks today?

• Like 4

If you lived in a stunning house you would not expect some one to act in a similar fashion albeit you could lock the garden gates etc. which is different from an open deck area, I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot the people concerned would not wish their privacy invaded. Apart from that its just damm rude.

As for poking the wood with a knife or opening the curtains with a walking stick, I think I would be tempted to do the same in return with a boat hook:shocked

Its always great to share and have a mardle, but this should be upon invitation only whoevers property it is.

• Like 7

Living beside the river, or on a boat, can at times be akin to living in a goldfish bowl. Privacy along the river bank is somewhat delusional at the best of times. I have probably related this tale before but one night,cruising through Potter, we spied two hefty porkers, both in yellow baby-doll nighties, disciplining each other. What were we supposed to do, look straight ahead, pretending we hadn't seen their shenanigans, or give them a rousing cheers? An invasion of their privacy, most certainly, but that comes with leaving the curtains open. No different to living in a house built against the street. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We have had people turn up and start wandering round our garden saying they were looking at buying the house... It's NOT FOR SALE.

I can relate to that one! Sadly I have a redundant orchard right besides a footpath. Shouldn't be a problem but every summer I have folk climbing over the gate, exploring then knocking on my door offering to buy it. No, it's nor for sale either! As for climbing over the gate, daft buggers, there is no lock on it, it's not hard to open! 

• Like 2

I can't say I have ever had anyone when I have been on Broad Ambition willy nilly come up and start looking about - certainly I do get the inquisitive, almost shy types who look, then look again then chat with someone who also looks and around about this time might get one of them say:

“She is a lovely boat – is it yours?”

A line which always surprises me, as if I might be a fellow admirer who has gone so far as actually getting onboard.   Maybe I should in future reply with:

“No she is not but so beautiful I am just taking a look about the boat.”

Of course, in some respects I am also part of the problem – roaming the Broads with cameras festooned to boats recording video, which seems to have inspired others to do similar.  

However, this is of no issue to myself because it is all ‘in the past’ by the time any of it might find its way 20 minutes into a video published a fortnight later – there is usually very little discussion about this, and it just ‘blends in’ as a few frames within the video.

But, there is to me a far more ‘prying’ type of invasion underway. Let us just picture this scene for example only:

For the last 40 years you’ve been feeding ducks much the same as you always have done – throwing them scraps of bread – but you forgot that things have changed and now this is considered by many as both environmentally damaging, and harmful to the Ducks. 

The problem is, you’ve just been snapped doing this as you stood on your boats side deck – the imagine now has been posted to Facebook, the imagine within minutes is now attracting several hundred views and the first of several comments starts to be made.  

By the time you’ve got back into the cabin and pored a cup of tea, your image and what you’ve been doing is being debated – some telling others to ‘live and let be’ others linking to websites point out the dangers of bread on wild fowl while others still are commenting on ‘why did he not get the duck feed from Wroxham!’ 

So, you see sometimes it is not the videos or the people who are that little bit too nosey that are issues, it is the powerful social network where groups of several thousand members will have seen something and have made comment on it from their phone perhaps when out in Tesco or in the office to have paused to look at the latest ‘Norfolk Broads photo’ of interest. 

You’ve been warned – you’re being watched :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Timbo said:

I've been pondering something Gracie said on another thread. I wonder if Griff might have supporting evidence but...is it a thing with wooden boats or ex hire boats? On two occasions I've had folks just clamber aboard the boat 'for a look around'. One elderly couple totally unapologetic when challenged and berating me for making changes to the colour scheme of 'their' boat they once hired. I've had one numpty stick his pocket knife into the woodwork several times 'to check it's condition'. I've even had a woman poke her walking stick through the window and twitch the curtains aside, while I was getting out of the shower, because 'she wanted to see what the inside looked like'.

Now I am passionate about boats, Broads Boats...er wooden ones...mostly, and I'm all for 'sharing' my enjoyment of my boat with others but on occasion it can be somewhat intrusive. I had to alter my morning ritual of coffee, cigarette and er...scratch after I was captured on Tubeface by someone up at the crack of Sparrowf*** filming the boat. They were good enough to take their film down and edit me out.

I have been toying with the idea of making up some sort of board detailing RT's history so anyone interested can take a look without disturbing me mid ablution.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy yacking on about my boat, the kettle is always on, the Rioja always at the right temperature and there's beer in the fridge (when I get it fitted) but there is an etiquette involved. I won't even board someone's boat without their permission so is there something about wooden boats or is it ex hire cruisers that give a sense of 'ownership' to the public...or is it just...I don't know...folks today?

Sounds like a good topic for one of Timbo's cartoons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can relate to that one! Sadly I have a redundant orchard right besides a footpath. Shouldn't be a problem but every summer I have folk climbing over the gate, exploring then knocking on my door offering to buy it. No, it's nor for sale either! As for climbing over the gate, daft buggers, there is no lock on it, it's not hard to open! 

They obviously didnt want to open the gate in case the trees made a sudden dash for freedom.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

If you lived in a stunning house you would not expect some one to act in a similar fashion albeit you could lock the garden gates etc. which is different from an open deck area, I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot the people concerned would not wish their privacy invaded. Apart from that its just damm rude.

As for poking the wood with a knife or opening the curtains with a walking stick, I think I would be tempted to do the same in return with a boat hook:shocked

Its always great to share and have a mardle, but this should be upon invitation only whoevers property it is.

Some years ago when I lived in North London,I actually came along the hall in my house one day to see two people with their noses quite literally pressed up against my study window. When I  went outside and asked them what they were doing the response was "oh we're just two nosy yankee tourists, don't mind us"

Well that's alright then.

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

'B.A' does get a lot of attention wherever she goes, we are aware of it of course which means we can deal with it.  For instance we just know if we berth side on at Horning or outside the Pub at Wroxham for instance, one either has to be ready to answer lots of questions or make yersen scarce.  We have a timeline picture book of her restoration kept onboard in a handy spot to hand out to visitors, that does the trick and answers most of the their questions. For me personally it depends on if I want to sit quietly and read a paper or some such like - then I berth 'B.A' more out of sight or away from passing pedestrians, if I get 'bothered' then the way I see it, its my own fault for berthing her there in the first place.  I'm a sucker for children though, four or five years old and upwards if they are showing a genuine interest, saucers for eyes, hiding behind Mum/Dad etc then I just can't help myself, the whole family is onboard for a look-round.  I have on more than one occasion (And for sure will do it again) taken complete strangers down the river and back for a short cruise - Why? - Because I can and I just know it makes someones day very special that they will remember for a long time.  We have done 3 x weddings with 'B.A' to date, that is taken the Bride / Groom from a location to a reception, all foc of course, and that is done just to make their day a bit more special.  Besides 'B.A' ain't really ours forever, we are only her custodians for our foreseeable so why should I be selfish and keep her to mysen?   Yes sometimes it's awkward and my crew can get a bit miffed so I ask them first before bringing strangers onboard (if I remember)

What I really like doing - which is a bit sneaky - is sitting on the bank a short distance from 'B.A' and just listen to folks comments about her as they stop or walk slowly past as they have no idea who I am of course (Mostly)  then you get to hear the honest truth of what they think of her.  My very best one doing this was a particularly warm day at the Kings Head pub in Wroxham, I was sat on one of the tables in the garden with a pint in hand near to 'B.A', two particularly attractive and scantily clad ladies stopped to admire her, I overheard one of them say      'What would I give for a trip onboard her'    I just couldn't stop mysen, I leaned over and said,      'Well Ladies,  I have the keys right here, now just what would you give'?     we all had a good laugh about that one including them  - However one huge bollocking later from MrsG (who was with me at the time) soon brought me back down to earth.

I have never experienced strangers coming onboard uninvited, I have had the direct approach like 'Please Please can we have a look round'?    I have been plagued by the likes of Kelly Brook, Ella Macpherson, Christie Brinkley etc ringing me begging for a weekend onboard - They can wish! :liar

Then of course there are the NBN forumites - These lot are the best as they know they are welcome :kiss

Griff

• Like 13

Brilliant attracts attention, she is part of Broads history. People ask about her and, like Griff, I am happy to show them around. Lots of people remember her from days gone by and that just underlines our role as custodians, responsible for handing her down in future. For example, I was asked last week why we had changed the jib.... Now that was clearly an informed question.

No we aren't 'bothered' much because we are very likely to mudweight out as much as be on busy moorings, also I think some people are more wary of sailing boats. :)

• Like 1

i'm generally a rather nosey individual ,but i wouldn't go clambering about the decks of another boat without permission , goodness me no , that is akin to trespass as far as i'm concerned and if i was stupid enough to do so and got  a mouthful of expletives, or a poke in the eye with a sharpened pencil  i think it would be completely warranted . i think that to give a passing vessel an admiring look , and say , " fabulous boat you've got there mate " is sufficiently nosey . cheers

• Like 3

We have had a number of motor boat owners come and watch when we raise or lower our mast, always expressing surprise as to how easy it is, especially when I do it single handedly, show off! Have only ever had one person want to see aboard Spray, 108 years old Broads classic. On the other hand, on Jenny Morgan, a mere juvenile in comparison, have had individuals invite themselves aboard for a sail on more than one occasion. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

I actually came alnog the hall in my house one day to see two people with their noses quite literally pressed up against my study window. WhenIand asked them what theywewre doing the response was "oh we;'re just two nosy yankee tourists, don't mind us"

Jenny Morgan's mention of an orchard reminds me of an incident from last Summer. We were returning from Oulton Broad and as we passed the orchard on the right as you leave the Broad there  was a group of youths sunning themselves on the river bank one of which was hopping frantically round trying in vain to get his trousers on as he was stark naked! His companions were roaring with laughter as were we!

Regards,

Carole

• Like 1

A few years back I returned to my boat from the shops to find a man sitting on my side deck talking to another woman with her nose up against the cabin window, whist a second woman had her head stuck in my canopy which she must have unzipped, now I'm more than happy to show anyone around my boat if they ask first, but actualy unzipping the canopy to look is taking the P, I casually asked have you lost something? Oh no! we were just looking, is this your boat then???  being me I just looked at her and said no I work for a repossession company and I'm just returning it to it's rightfull owner once the police have been to take fingerprints, I kid you not, they disappeared so quickly they left skidmarks on the path, the odd thing is I saw them again a couple of years later on that very same boat, Yup! they bought it when I sold it,, and believe it or not we are all quite good friends now,,,

Frank,,,

• Like 7

I am totally with Bob48 on this, I think it's an absolute disgrace for anyone to clamber over someone's pride and joy uninvited, something I would never dream of doing. Yes, as I said on another thread, I have cruised close to moored boats but never close enough to be in danger of hitting them, just close enough  and slow enough to have a bit of a look and maybe call over "She's a beauty" or some such.

It appears from posts above there are people out there that just assume it's ok to jump on a Boat and have a look, totally unacceptable and complete arrogance in my opinion.

I have been known to practically fall in the water to get a look see at a beautiful woody or yacht, I will think twice about doing such a thing in future. Like most of us on here, I have a love and passion for anything to do with the Broads and Boats and will obey the rules and etiquette of boats and rivers (most of the time anyway) I'm as far away as you will ever get to being arrogant and I most certainly am not a numpty, an idiot or stupid and would never dream of invading anyone's privacy described in some of the posts above

Now I've cleared that up :naughty:, hope you've all had a lovely day :kiss

Grace

• Like 6

Having a cute red narrowboat on the broads makes us stand out.  It also means we would be picked out in an identity parade! 

There are certainly lots of females on passing boats who would take Grebe home and cuddle her like a toy dog.  Over the years we have become philosophical about passers by.  Like Griff if we are happy to be chatted to wemoor in the higher profile areas if we want a quieter time we stay on remote moorings.

We sometimes adopt the listen from a distance method.  The script on Grebe's side panels  'Waterways of the Humber' that get them thinking and chatting.  But the best was probably overheard at Horning.  We were in the Staithe & Willow, at a bay window table so we could keep an eye while eating a meal (side swipe paradise those moorings) and two ladies were standing on the quay discussing Grebe.  The verdict ' She must be fire boat, she's red and they must have something to deal with fires...' chuckle chuckle.

We've lost count of... did you come by sea?  do you live on her?  are the broads connected to the canals? and are you from 'ull?  (any mention of the Humber must mean Hull because they own the Humber)

• Like 1

I've been shown round both Brilliant and BA (and had a trip on BA), both by invitation. I'd never think of stepping aboard any boat without first obtaining permission. I can't imagine why anyone would think of doing such a thing, it's akin to sitting in someone's car while they load their shopping!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

Does the law of tresspass not enter into boating? Just a thought......

i would have thought , that boarding a vessel without permission could be classed as trespass , and, just a thought, if it were mud weighted could it be considered piracy ?

If people are interested in the boat I have invited them onto the boat,I Think there is a number of people who are polite and it is fair enough to show them around.However if people come on board with out asking,I would tell them in no uncertain terms where to go,as Peter said boats do attract interest,in the same way as some cars.Its just that people need to respect others 

• Like 4