First Timers Heading Out Onto The Broads In August

Afternoon everyone,

We are taking our first boating holiday in August, starting out from Stalham - 3 adults, a teenager and two 6 year olds! 

We are still putting together rough guide to where we would like to go, and will probably have lots of questions over the next couple of weeks.

Hubby and I are both ex-Navy, so he thinks that gives him an advantage - I know it doesn't!!!

Anyway it back to my research!

Jules

• Like 7

Jules :welcome: to the forum................... the best laid plans to man tend to go awrey when on the broads. After 40+ years of coming we now never plan any thing. We go where we go and end up where we end up....

Charlie

PS we even do the near 100mile journey just for the day on the boat

• Like 5

Hell Jules,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Are you sticking to the Northern Rivers? you will find them quite busy.

Be safe wear your life jackets that will be issued by Richardsons. Being ex Royal Navy you will have already been used to one hand for the boat and one hand for yourself..

Have a look at the links to the Richardson's video's for first timers in our information pages. Click on browse, and look on visiting the Broads, you will find a few links to Richardson's website.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

:welcome: from me.

My advise would be.. Don't rush and don't plan anything just trundle along and explore all the rivers you are on, there's plenty to see and do but the Broads and boating is all about relaxing so make sure you do that.

Have a brilliant time, let us all know how you got on and share you holiday tale we would all love to hear it :) 

cheers 

• Like 3

Welcome Jules,I am sure you will enjoy your time on the river.Alans right don't plan to far in advance.my only tip is if you can its worth booking mooring,many pubs will take bookings over the phone.that way to know you have some where to say for food and drink.Yes the northern rivers are busy this time of year  and if you get a chance go south.Back to pubs the broads has many good watering holes.Try the New Inn at horning.The food and drink are great and the village is lovely.

Don't wear a captains hat,people will think you are new to the broads.Have a great time.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Jules, welcome from me too.  One thing i will advise though, DON`T plan anything, just go where your nose takes you on each day.. You don`t say which boat you`re on, so if it`s a single level design, being all on one floor, and probably ved drive, you can go almost anywhere on the broads. And don`t forget the fishing gear if the are any anglers aboard, as the fishing is great.

• Like 1

Unlike everyone else, I'll say make a plan.  OK you probably won't stick to it, but it will help to focus on places and activities to suit your family. You'll need to fill up with water every day, and if you're eating onboard, then you'll need to plan on where to stock up.  Have you thought about hiring a dinghy along with your cruiser?  I'm sure your teenager would love the independence of rowing around Malthouse (Ranworth), South Walsham or Salhouse Broads. 

• Like 1

Welcome along Jules. :wave

To plan or not to plan ... I would say have a few ideas but be prepared to change them. You might find somewhere you really like and decide to go back to the same mooring later in the week.

Over several trips we have realised that a lot of people move off mid-morning, moor up by 12 for lunch, move off again mid-afternoon and then moor somewhere else for the night. On our first holiday on the northern rivers we made the mistake of arriving at moorings about 1pm and finding them already full - that's when having a plan doesn't work! Personally we like to get on the move fairly early and enjoy some time with less boat traffic around ... but each to their own. It's all about relaxing and enjoying the slower pace of life.

My most recent trip on Swan Reflection 2 is in the holiday tales section with some recommendations of what worked for us and how we found Richardson's as a boatyard as it was our first time hiring from them.

What boat will you be on? I'm always interested to see what people have chosen.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

thanks for the warm welcome!

I have made a plan (I'm one of those people who has to) however, I fully appreciate those of you who say not to and why!

We have hired Swan Rapide from Richardsons (SwanR am I off to read about your adventures and experience with them).

I am really looking forward to completely changing the pace of life and chilling for the week.

Jules

• Like 6

On 15/07/2016 at 11:55 PM, kadensa said:

Not sure what you mean by that?  I thought most boats steer around  the midpoint.

They turn around the mid point ( the front wheels on a forklift. the load is forward of the front wheels), but the steering wheel on a forklift are at the back just like a boat with the rudder so the stern/rear swings out.

• Like 2

Welcome to the site:wave,

I think you are correct, unless you are helmsman of the admirals barge or a similar job on board, little in the RN  will help on a broads cruiser. ( Unless you were the chef:clap) a radar technician, engineer, or gunner is not normally required!! Though some think a  two gunsmaybe a good idea on board.

I'm sure you will enjoy the holidaycheers, have your cameras available you never know when there is something worth taking a picture of.

There are many :Sailingsailing regattas :Sailingon in August, the most inconvenient to holiday cruisers is Horning Regatta, the first week in August, so I'd recommend you read the Horning Regatta 2016 thread if you're coming our way. It may be of interest even if you're not coming our way. All the regattas don't mind careful drivers:wave and many people love the view of the sailing chaos.

Other regattas are listed here http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk under diary dates. Note there are events every weekend in the summer, at all clubs, but the regattas listed involve many more boats, up to 150 at Horning against our normal Sunday sailing of about 30 to 40.

Please also have a read of Gracie's thread "to all newbies" we often complain about things on the broads, but we complain about the unusual, not the normal.

cheersenjoy your holidaycheers

• Like 3

Hi Jules

A very warm welcome aboard from me :wave To plan or not to plan is the question. We nearly always gather round the table on the Boat get a good old fashioned map out and make a bit of a plan and then we nearly always abandon the plan altogether once under way lol. Either way you will have the most fantastic holiday and meet some pretty amazing boaty types along the way (even the Sailies :naughty:)

Have a smashing holiday

Grace

• Like 4

Hi Jules & a warm :welcome: from us

I can only echo what others have said above.

we usually have a rough idea of the places we want to go to but never decide until the evening where we will go the next day when like Grace, we sit around the table with an old fashioned paper map.

we tend to avoid using tech when on the Broads (except a Garmin gps unit) and find it much more relaxing.

whatever you decide have a great time

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

Hi Jules & a warm :welcome: from us

I can only echo what others have said above.

we usually have a rough idea of the places we want to go to but never decide until the evening where we will go the next day when like Grace, we sit around the table with an old fashioned paper map.

we tend to avoid using tech when on the Broads (except a Garmin gps unit) and find it much more relaxing.

whatever you decide have a great time

Hi David,

We use a TomTom, but she keeps saying turn left or right to get off of the river and gets in a right paddy when we do not comply:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Alan

I use a handheld unit (GPSMAP 64s) not a car type sat nav 

this doesn't give any spoken instructions but shows your position on a map. It also records you journey log with speeds, headings, times etc. Great for looking back over your trip later. You can even print or save the route as a jpg to use in slideshows etc

we do a bit of walking and use this when out and about but it's great on a boat.

quite expensive but cheaper versions are available that will do the same job

Hello Jules,

I always plan my trips on my boat down to the last detail; I make notes of tides and sunrise/sunset for the duration of my stay. I also work out which pubs I'll be visiting and at what times.

I establish which moorings I'll be using ands of course my times of arrival at those moorings. I also have a secondry schedule for a backup mooring in the event that my first choice is unavailable.

Having menus for all the broadland pubs, I decide what I shall be eating at each venue cost it all out and budget accordingly.

Leaving nothing to chance I work out how long  my boat will be cruising so I can fill the tank and know how much fuel I'll need and hoiw much I'll have left at the end of the holiday. Finally and most importantly, I calculate how many pints and of which beer I'll drink at each establishment and again budget accordingly.

My mooring is at the Pleasureboat on Hickling broad. and as such is the first place I have my first drink of the trip.

It is at this point I get completely ratted, forget all my plans and budgets, and pretty much wing it from there on.

Have a really good trip and don't worry, you'll get used to me eventually.

• Like 7