The Ten Most Common Errors

MauriceMynah

1- Remember to move the dinghy currently tied to the bow back to the transom after leaving your stern on moorings or you could run it over... Fortunately for the people involved its painter broke and it popped out the side before it went right over.

2- Once the roof and screens are down for the bridge check the tv aerial as well.

3- If other river users are pointing as well as waving try to work out why. We all look at each others boats as we pass and will see things the helm may not be aware of - a trailing rope, the dinghy is sinking, the kids are hanging off the bow trying to kick the bow wave etc. If someone is pointing meaningfully and nobody is stood on your bow in a mankini then its worth checking what they are trying to tell you. Just a walk round the decks saved us a rope round the prop when one of the stern ropes had fallen from its coil. Somebody passing pointed it out to us.

• Like 5

When traveling up / down  the river. When someone is shouting at you ,  pull the throttle back . You will probably then be able to hear them . If they are giving you some kind advice thank them if not move throttle forward and carry on :shocked your way.

27 minutes ago, Gretzky said:

Number one! Thinking there is no need to listen to the hand over or read the manual as you know it all,and anyway how hard can it be?

Believing that what they tell you on the hand over is all you need to know!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Thinking that you have right of way over the Albion, because she is on the wrong side of the river.

I thought you would agree with that one, Marshman.

When the Albion takes an "incoming" hire boat on the shoulder of the bow she doesn't even twitch! If anything was ever built like a tank, it's her. Now that she is carrying a bit of weight in the hold to stop her hogging, she can back up her argument with around 55 tons of effort.

Not something to trifle with!

16 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

It's not the posts that are the problem, it's the gaps between them that people keep sneaking through....

Thought there was a boat belonging to the BA that patrols that area to avoid such things happening? That's the Spirit !! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Thought there was a boat belonging to the BA that patrols that area to avoid such things happening? That's the Spirit !! :naughty:

cheersIain

But does she? I went over Breydon twice last week, both times at or around low water slack when, if folk do as they are told, is Breydon's busy time. Okay, so no one will come to any harm if they do run aground but on the second crossing it was blowing a gale and had anyone broken down then they could quickly have been in trouble. Perhaps she only goes out when the tide is over the flats, provided it's between tea breaks and during office hours, must allow for travelling time, and high boats can't get under those bridges. Interestingly, in recent weeks, I have watched a conventional ranger's river launch out on Breydon, despite being officially deemed unsuitable for the job! Okay, so the one that had come down the Bure had gone through bridge to turn, perhaps.

• Like 1

I had to read all of the above before I could say...

Throwing the mooring lines back on board forgetting that the Rhond anchors were still attached.  Chipped gel coat, broken windows, concussion...

I have seen this happen, walking down the side decks on a moving boat whilst trying to put their life jacket on, with no hands left for the hand rail.

Starting a boat after casting off from the second helm, not knowing that the other throttle was still set to full and in forward gear, and realising that the second helm is not responding. (See Bolero incident lol)

The biggest mistake, helming a boat whilst drunk.

1 hour ago, Viking23 said:

Starting a boat after casting off from the second helm, not knowing that the other throttle was still set to full and in forward gear, and realising that the second helm is not responding. (See Bolero incident lol)

Where is the 'Bolero incident' please? It sounds interesting.

• Like 1

You've mentioned channel markers but for a long time I didn't really understand why sometimes the green ones were on my left and sometimes they were on my right ... and I don't mean just because I had turned the boat around. 

The most confusing place has to be Rockland Broad. If you are just going through the Broad without going down to the Staithe, then halfway round the colours switch sides. I can still remember going through there on our first trip and feeling quite panicked because I knew I had to be between the red and green but not being sure that I was because they changed round.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Jean, I know exactly what you mean, are you blonde too? :naughty:

Grace

Lol, actually no ... but I used to work with someone who would tell customers over the phone that she was having a blonde moment when she couldn't remember what to do. I used to tell her she couldn't say that in case the person on the other end of the phone was blonde and was offended! :facepalm:

• Like 2

1. Not appreciating that wind and current will affect the control and direction of your craft.
  2. An inability to calculate distance, speed and appreciate the affect of weather and season upon your journey.
  3. Not understanding the boat steers or pivots from the stern.
  4. Not keeping an eye on your children, where they are and what they are doing.
  5. As above but substitute dog.
  6. Leaving the mooring lines a tangled mess.
  7. Appreciating that almost everyone is on holiday.
  8. Failing to appreciate that indeed you are an idiot and the rules apply to you too.
  9. Owning a boat does not automatically infer knowledge or status.
  10. It is totally UNCOOL to not wear a lifejacket on deck or mooring.

• Like 4