Holiday Dates

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hmmm . . . A few years ago, I stood behind an old dear in the queue at the supermarket till. Within 30 seconds I knew when she was leaving to spend Christmas with her daughter, and how long she'd be away. If I was of the scummy persuasion, all I then needed to do was follow her to find her address. Whoopeee, an empty house, and as long as I need to empty it of anything worth having. So it's not only on Forums and the Net you need to be careful.

(She didn't have anything worth nicking anyway. Waste of time breaking in.:twisted:).

• Like 7

Unfortunately posting when your on your hols is also a security faux pas. Same issue really. 

Bit of a pain as I am really enjoying Mr Nogs house this week and all the beer he left behind!!

Problem is it's really nice having live updates. 

I guess keeping our identities a secret is the first thing. Although weird!!

anon. 

• Like 4

Ditto Face Book Twitter and all social media, when you press that button and put something on the World Wide Web you loose ownership and control. A sad indictment on todays society but I see the results "every day" on thoughtless postings of a personal nature and the often catastrophic results on the individual and their families.

Post with care :RiverPolice

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

This topic comes up from time to time and I have to say that it is with deep regret that feel that not ALL society can be trusted with this information. My house will be empty from...to... and my boat will be unoccupied from... too...

It's really sad!

That`s a really good point John, but in all honesty, there are only one or two people on this forum that have either our address or phone number, and those people are VERY much trusted. But i take your point, and maybe this should be a members area only topic, so if the mods wish to move it, please do.

The issue of security is exactly why I have always been reluctant to "check in" on Facebook everywhere I go. However I do keep my Facebook profile on private settings and stay connected to only a select and small group of people ... and then what do I do but join a forum and post more publicly!!

The definition of the word "friend" needs rewriting where social media is involved.

However our Facebook group definitely helped me out with advice when we were away last year ... and in asking for that help I couldn't really avoid the group knowing where I was!!

• Like 3

On the subject of keeping your address "secret" do remember when posting pictures often a search of the background will produce a landmark, road name or car index plate which can easily be researched on the WWW. Likewise with identifying a particular boat, mooring or location......... Spooky what you can find if you look!! :RiverPolice

• Like 5

Security is the very reason I keep all my valuables on the boat moored next door but one to me. :) but seriously this is a bit of an issue. Generally speaking I would think there to be few low-lifes who would log on to a broads forum purely to find out holiday dates, and far fewer still who would try to make 50 posts to gain access to the members area, but it only takes one to commit a break-in.

My sisters house was burgled a number of years ago, whilst she and her husband were out visiting our father in hospital. It took years for her to get over the incident. It wasn't so much the losses suffered it was the invasion of their privacy, the feeling of defilement and the loss of any feeling of safety in her own home.

I am aware that we have new members registering, and some of those do not post. this becomes apparent when the admiral welcomes the "six new members this week" yet we only seem to see posts from one or two. Who are the others? Why did they join? As I say, it only takes one!

There are quite a few members here who know my first name, fewer who know my second and very very few who know where I live. It's a horrible thing when you can't feel safe enough not only to give out all that information, but that's the society we live in.

A few years ago I lived on the Isle of Man for a while. My car was never locked, nor was the front door of the house. the rule of thumb there was, "If you don't want your car stolen, take the keys out of the ignition.". BLISS.

• Like 4

When I was a lad, every (council) flat and house had a doorkey hanging on a string behind the letterbox. Anyone could have entered any house they wanted. No-one had any thing worth nicking!!! But that was when punishment fit the crime. And any oik stepping out of line had more worries than the police collaring them. Tough men who looked out for each other.

• Like 3

Yes, I never say when we are heading up to the Broads, but will have texted a few folk, shame because I'd like to be more informative.

We were robbed whilst on the Broads a few years back, very worrying travelling back to see what was damaged/missing. We knew they were youths because they had been disturbed. Oddly I wasn't too distressed because I had taught scallywags for years so took it as being not monsters just chaotic kids.

No, and no and no, I am not at all condoning badness, just that my level of surprise is not that high any more.

Actually, I made no great secret of where we lived when teaching and I noticed that occasionally a scally would ask if I still lived there, we were never robbed at that time. 

• Like 3

One of the 'benefits' to my interest in woodwork  is the added security to things like 'the booze'. I'm currently planeing the oak timber for what will become the prototype for RT 's drinks cabinet. Solid oak, hidden hinges, lockable with secret drawers as well. The prototype is for home use, RT 's will be fastened down too. 

Security at home is currently an issue. Since the street lighting has been turned off we've had a dramatic increase in burglary and car crime. The police don't even turn up to a crime and more worrying the insurance companies are not paying up claiming everything from 'inadequate' street lighting to 'no evidence of crime ' in the case of a van having the alarm wiring severed and the van contents stolen.

Illegal I know BUT, honestly, I've got nice lengths of carpet gripper and pigeon deterrents fastened to all access points to my garden and shed for pigeons, really and I made sure that there is some nice loose, ankle breaking rubble piled liberally underneath the hedges.... The shed is alarmed, padlocked on all sides, window covered with 3/4 inch ply bolted through the shed side. There's also carpet gripper glued to the inside of the padlock guards.  They may get in but they won't get out... Not in one piece anyway. 

Everything is locked up when I'm away and I have excellent neighbours on all sides... But I have to admit I'm not always careful advertising when I'm down on the boat. Time I started. 

I'll fill you with what living in one of London's poorest borough is like so far as crime goes. A street away from me the drug dealers form one gang have their patch, while up the High Street near a Paddy Power the another gang have their turf - every few months someone gets killed in a shooting or stabbing.

The sad thing is because of the predictability of this happening, even when it has been innocent bystanders killed by stray bullets, it is no longer shocking or 'big news'. Because of the prolific supply of drugs in the local area, the users need cash to buy and this comes from a high instance of muggings for nice phones/wireless headphones to break in's.

You naturally adapt to 'threat levels' this might be knowing what side of a road to walk on, or what road is ok to be in during the day but avoid at night.  This is repeated from borough to borough over London and the Police within the resources they have do the best they can. In realty though the time it takes and costs of setting up an investigation and successful prosecution for example a group of men selling drugs takes a lot of time. 

So you see how things can be very different for a inner city area to a smaller town.  You know despite all this it is what you know and who, so I feel personally alright in my area and have lived here all my life but take me to somewhere else where I am not aware and I bring more nerves about what may be going on or could happen.

All I can say is in the back garden where the wall can be climbed we have a pyrocanthus bush, we used to have another under the window at the front of the house, yet still (in the middle of peaceful Canterbury) we once had our front door kicked in by an oik. unfortunately for him we had the sitting room door open and I was looking right at him - did you know its possible to do an olympic 100m race start from sitting in a chair? while the wife called the police I was in hot pursuit, strangely the police were there within 60 seconds. he was apprehended later, but had apparently just come from his own house having kicked his mums back door down. we knew him as he was a regular visitor to the neighbours kids.

next day his mum knocked on our door and asked if we were going to prosecute - we were a bit hem ha until she said please do he needs to be taught a lesson.

Fortunately for him he was still in custody 2 days later when the local drugs mafia called round the neighbours trying to locate him (2 cars full) apparently he had waylaid one of their couriers before he kicked his mums and our door down. 

Other than that once we havent had too many problems.

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Timbo, you obviously live in an area that is a hotbed of crime

I live in a small market town JM. In the 80's some greengrocers daughter had this idea that all the trouble makers from estates around the country would be evicted. Trouble with that idea was that they had to house them somewhere. And our idiot council, good buddies with numbskulls in Westminster, agreed that here was where they would be housed. Then the council thought it a wonderful idea that they would house druggies next door to well behaved folks because obviously they would give up the drugs and become model citizens if housed next door to pensioners and working families. :facepalm:

• Like 5