What's Happened To The Boating Spirit?

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Was heading down river from Acle Bridge yesterday morning enjoying a coffee and the sunshine when about halfway between Acle Dyke and Stokesby I saw a boat moored on the starboard side on a wild mooring and not too far away from it mid river another hire boat with what at first glance looked like a BBQ on the rear gas locker, judging by the smoke. As I got a little closer I realised that my first impression had been wrong and it was the engine compartment and the hatch was open and they had obviously overheated and were just drifting with the current. So I slowed down and went past and they shouted out that they had overheated and conked out. Looking behind me I can see a constant stream of hire boats making the mad dash for Yarmouth and the stranded boat starting to drift sideways. I'm alone at the helm and my friend who is the only other person on board with me is busy in the front head. So I give a loud knock on the front bulkhead and execute a quick 180 degree turn and turn into the current to hold station whilst awaiting for my friend to finish his business so we can go and give assistance. Before too long he appears and I explain the situation and we start to head towards the stricken boat which due to all the other boats steaming past it is now completely sideways across the river and being bounced around by the wash from the boats rushing to meet the low tide down at Yarmouth. No one is slowing down or looking to offer any assistance. By the time we reach them, they are now completely on the wrong side of the river and being shouted at by another boat who is trying to squeeze through the narrowing gap between them and the bank.

My friend manages to catch a line from them and we tow them back across to the wild mooring on the other side of the river where the occupants of the other boat that is already moored there assist with catching their ropes so they can get rhond anchors and get tied up. At one point due to the tow and the current we are pretty much both across the river until I get enough steerage to pull them round and still boats are heading towards us without slowing and almost completely oblivious to the fact that we are trying to rescue another boat.

Once the line had been detached and their lines caught by the people on the bank, we did a swift u turn and was back on our way towards Yarmouth again. The whole exercise having cost us 15mins, but we still made the perfect crossing through Yarmouth and Breydon.

I'm still surprised though how many people went past and offered no assistance, but even more, how many made it worse by either not slowing down or trying to squeeze through a narrow gap on the wrong side of the river. I know hire boats are not meant to tow another boat, and I'm not sure my insurance policy covers me for towing, but can you really just leave a boat drifting? I know I can't. We only towed the boat across river and I'm not sure how the Herbert Woods mechanic would reach the wild mooring, but at least they were secured to the bank.

Good effort and well done, you certainly saved the day for them.

But perhaps once they had asked you for help, and seen you change course in an effort to help them , they didn't ask anyone else?

Where as some might not know what to do, and some are maybe too selfish to help out , I would like to think most folk would gladly help out in such a scenario.

Maybe I'm deluded!!

At least you helped them out , and hopefully the mechanics got to them and got them going again without too much drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were heading down river from Acle a couple of years ago and passed a hire boat on the starboard side moored outside the private house. We mentioned to ourselves that they may be visiting. Not much further we saw Mr fixit from BB and he asked if we would take him to the stranded boat. He looked surprised when we pulled over and said yes. He stated that we would be surprised just how many say no.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sadly the other boats just driving past doesn't surprise me at all, over the years I've rescued many Hire boats (and the odd non competing sailing boat, while I'm in one of HSCs rescue boats. Often they've had many go past while they are appealing for help (usually because they have no mobile signal).

I've not had a Mr Fixit on board but have been asked to Assist the Police and had them on board looking for a particular Hire day boat (later found abandoned)

• Like 1

Me and the Mrs were out a few weeks ago, travelling from Potter to Ludham bridge, when we came across a hire boat stranded in the reed opposite the turning to Womack staithe.

We turned and did our best to assist, without success, only to see 3 other boats blast past our bow while trying to pull said hire boat off.

I too was disappointed that other, more capable, boats in the area just sailed by without a care!

Glad to say though, by the time we returned (about 4 hours later) the hire boat had gone.

• Thanks 2

Many years ago we had a hired boat on the Thames moored for Lunch at the big riverside park at Marlow just upstream of the lock and weir all told about 15 boats moored there of which we was the only hired boat 

An elderly couple came into moor on Hampton boat and manged to get a rope round the propeller and started drifting towards Marlow weir plenty of boat owners watching but none took action

We left our lunch cast off and put our boat between them and weir allowing them to drift on to us and we tied them to us and towed them back to moorings.

All still stood and watched no one helped from the bank to assist mooring them up.

Later in the day as we went upstream through the next lock, two lots of owners said well done but none helped

Yes we had a hire boat and should not of helped but in an Emergency you have to act and damn the consequences in my opinion anyway

Ray 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We would have done exactly the same Ray, my Dad has come to the rescue of a few in his time, well done you :default_icon_clap: Perhaps just plain ignorance, people don't know how to help or just don't want to get involved. We could never pass someone in need or distress, even if it's just to offer reassurance until the cavalry arrive

Grace

• Like 4

In my welcome pack, I think it says that towing is a big no no.

Playing devils advocate, I guess well intentioned help by those less experienced maybe more hindrance than help especially on the lower reaches of the rivers.

Having had an engine fail out at sea near the out fall of the Medway I was very thankful for my anchor. But I had time to react.

I always wondered about the mud weight, great on the broads and the upper regions but next to useless in a tidal race.

I would stop and help but its fishing season now and how many boats do you see nudged up in the reeds?

Unless someone's jumping up and down in obvious distress I may cruise past.

• Like 2

We couldn't just pass by a boat in trouble either but you're right there is not the same boating spirit out there that used to be the norm.  When my husband and I were first married and he decided to get a boat ( he'd had several before) we were out going round various brokerages and I noticed people spoke to him as we walked by. I expressed my surprise that they should remember him after being out of the boating scene for quite a few years.  He was enormously amused at  this and between chuckles explained that boat people were always friendly and acknowledged complete strangers in that environment and so it always was. In the old way we always give a wave to acknowledge passing craft on the river,  and are disappointed  how these days so many look right through you or else view you as someone who clearly needs sectioning!

Carole

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
20 minutes ago, addicted said:

We couldn't just pass by a boat in trouble either but you're right there is not the same boating spirit out there that used to be the norm.  When my husband and I were first married and he decided to get a boat ( he'd had several before) we were out going round various brokerages and I noticed people spoke to him as we walked by. I expressed my surprise that they should remember him after being out of the boating scene for quite a few years.  He was enormously amused at  this and between chuckles explained that boat people were always friendly and acknowledged complete strangers in that environment and so it always was. In the old way we always give a wave to acknowledge passing craft on the river,  and are disappointed  how these days so many look right through you or else view you as someone who clearly needs sectioning!

Carole

On my first time out on a hire boat we were coming up the Ant when we had trouble passing a very becalmed Brown sailboat. They were quanting and looking very tired. We eventually passed them and jokingly said, "do you want a tow?" To which they replied "yes please" We were halfway between Ludham Bridge and How Hill. "Where do you want towing to?" we asked. They replied they were heading for a very nice pub in Neatishead if it wasn't too much trouble :default_biggrin: Being the first time out we had no idea really where, or how far that was. Little did we realise we were committing three sins by our actions.

1. We were in a hire boat and not supposed to tow.

2. We were a mobo towing a saily. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

3. Even worse, said saily was a Hunters boat. No engine should ever go near them. :default_icon_eek:

We ended up on only our third day of hire towing the boat all the way to Neatishead Staithe, not Gays Staithe, that would have been far too easy. We did get invited to the pub for a pint for our efforts. :default_beerchug:

Whilst I realise in hindsight, we shouldn't have towed them, it seemed like we were all in it together back then.

I have so far rescued two boats this year. The one mentioned at the start of this thread, and one that had conked out on the main river outside Wroxham Broad, back at Easter time. That one we towed to the Wroxham sailing club so they at least could tie up whilst investigating the problem and also furnished them with the number for Boulters in case they needed more help.

It wasn't so much that no one else offered to help the boat this past weekend, but that they were all intent on racing to catch the tide and almost see it as an inconvenience to their dash for Yarmouth. More then one boat actually hampered our assistance. Seems chalk and cheese to my first experience on a hire boat.

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

True.

I hate it when I wave and I'm left hanging with no reply.

I wonder is it because the lack of mooring is adding to a competitive feeling on the river?

Is mooring in that short supply? It doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the Southern side. Sshh! don't spread it around!

CarolE

• Like 1

I can tell you all in 2016  Griff  Help Two lady's in Distress near St Bennett's Abbey with Richardson's Boat on our way down to Yarmouth as there Boat went wrong and got stranded in the Reeds Griff got them sorted out due the Gear Lever not working properly and back on the River once again that  just  go and show what we are while on the broads even though it was Men only Ladd's week it the spirit of Boating we did and the Ladies gave us all a big blow Kiss thank you.

Andrew Cook

• Like 4

I've lost count the number of times we have helped out - It's all recorded in 'B.A's Ships Logs though - last trip out was just down river of Oulton Dyke, and the second time at Ranworth Staithe. We will continue to do so.  I like helping other boaters - Even yachties - out as and when I can, It's all part of the boating community spirit, well it is for me.  Besides, one day I might be in need of assistance

Griff

• Like 4

I believe that most crews will help anyone with a boating problem, helping them start their boats or even swap mooring to get to that charging post.

When on the rivers I think it brings the best out in us, it should do, we should be relaxed after all we are a boat, how better can it get.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

It's still there.Yes there are some that don't, wont help.At present we are moored at Stacey arms.Marina noticed a boat in front of us.I went to help.Before I got there they had managed to tie up.About 5 minutes later they walked past.He said thanks for checking to see if we were okay,then as a thank you gave me some photos of the Red Arrows. 

• Like 1

The hood thing about boats,In the main it's a great leveler.I can talk  and share news with someone  who's got a million +boat in the same one who's up on the broads for there first trip. What I do feel is funny is some people  that hire for example Broadsman boats and some will look down on you.Strange that they forget  that

• Like 2

I reckon it's hard to say boating spirit is on the decline.

I would guess that people who turn a blind eye to situations have just not experienced enough to realise what to do.

Same could be said for life in general.

We have been towed to safety on the broads after engine failure.

Many years ago when I was young and stupid (now I'm old and stupid) I was water skiing with a friend and my two young girls off shore when that super sexy outboard decided to give up. It was a big spring tide on it's way out. We all had buoyancy aids and wetsuits, no anchor, but luckily for us, actually  very luckily, my father in law had convinced me to buy some flares. He was old you see, and knew what to do. When he mentioned flares to me I genuinely thought he was talking about 70's clothing. Well we had them and realising we were (insert swear word here) up went a red one.

I'm actually reliving the moment as I type. When we fired that flare my heart sank. I was expecting some massive, exploding, can't be missed display, instead we got a cheap one shot roman candle.....but....unknown to us.....it had been seen for miles.

After a while a sailboat arrived, they had changed their plans to come and help. They dropped their little outboard, connected a line and towed us back to safety. It took nearly two hours to get us back to the estuary we launched from. Due to their keel they couldn't get too close to shore, we had to jump off and wade the last bit, we thanked them as best we could but I have always felt it wasn't enough.

To this day I'd love to know who they were to thank them properly.

Call it life experience or old age, but I would never pass a boat in difficulty.

• Like 8

I don't blame people for not helping a stricken craft on the broads in these litigation crazy days, heaven knows what any chancer might try on. Back in the day before mobile phones and MiWiFi assisting other boats and indeed motorists was the norm, but in these days there's a mix of "I don't want to get involved" with a bit of "Oh yeah, what are they up to"

HOWEVER !!!  My boat tends to look like sh1t and I tend to look worse than my boat so when I respond to the call "Help can someone help me?", it's usually followed by... "Help... Can someone else help me?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6