Single Parent Hiring Boats

Loddonlad

I haven't replied as i have been busy today so don't start worrying about me too much, 

this change will bring us in line with our agents standard, it has not been forced and is not due to insurance. 

over the years we have had to bring in measures like stability tests and canopy procedures due to problems at other yards, these are reactive measures, 

we would rather make a change before a problem,  it is the prerogative of the other yards to take on the risk and allow single adult hires. 

We are doing our best to upgrade and accommodate all affected parties but unfortunately you can't please all the people all the time but most customers have been understanding 

if you are a regular  hirer you will have seen the boat acceptance certificate grow its content about 400% over the last 10 years,  this is a reflection of the world we live in. 

I have not read this whole thread and can't comment on individual cases 

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, NonTecky said:

What concerns me is this extract from one of Clive's replys on FB....

" but other companies tend to follow suite,"

Lets hope they don't in this case!

There is a very real danger of that happening.

One of the joys of a Broads holiday is that whilst accidents and tragedies can happen they do it at 5 m.p.h.  On top of that there is a pretty strong likelihood that someone, help, will soon be coming past.

We now live in a culture that looks for problems that haven't but might just happen, however unlikely. Unfortunately once that potential problem has been admitted then action has to be taken thus I suspect that other yards will follow suit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There is of course an option available here, if no "rent a grandpa" is available. Amazon sell inflatable adults. The one I looked at was called "Vinyl Vera" but it would appear they offer men as well. You would need to provide them with clothes as, for some reason they seem to be sold "disrobed"

I can't see any other function for these plastic inflatables. 

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Susie tells me that there is a lively discussion going on on Facebook including 2 statements from Clive, and so this thread seems to have dried up.

I seems a bit silly that an important debate about the broads seems to happen half on here and the other half on Facebook. Can't we share the same information? Or am I just showing my ignorance of social media?

The big problem I have with Facebook is there policy of only showing you what they think you want to see, well that and it being so hard to search for info that you know was posted previously.

It takes some doing Steve. And I would add that where Clive states " but other companies tend to follow suit" , as an industry leader it's a shame they could not see that this could become a defining moment for all those people who have or need to holiday on their own and stand up for them. I bet Barnes Brinkcraft are laughing all the way to the bank (the ones in the high street that is).

• Like 1

I am afraid Clive's response leaves me with more questions than answers.

Are they "aligning" with an agency which, by the look of of it, may not even be there for very long?

Hoseasons used to have the BOA (Broadland Owners Association) made up of the member yards and they decided on the conditions of hire, not the agency. Same thing for Blakes, but then Blakes was owned by their member yards.

If they wish to change their conditions of hire (which they haven't, on the website) then they should still be honouring bookings made in good faith and confirmed by them in writing according to their own conditions. These conditions also say they may cancel a booking up to 8 weeks before the start date, but they are now doing it 3 weeks before.

I don't know the content of this boat acceptance certificate since, both times last year, I said I had been before and signed a document to say I had not wanted a trial run! Although they had no idea of my experience.

But what about "stability tests" and canopy procedures? Susie and I are booked in May, and have paid in full. Are we now to be turned away because we have hired a 7 berth boat for 2 people, and so they think we can't get the canopy down? 

As Peter says, I fear that this sounds like the thin end of the wedge.

I think it should be remembered that inland waterways boating holidays, although an adventure and activity holiday, have a safety record, right back over the years, which must be second to none.

But what would I know? I have only been in the business for 40 years.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I don't know the content of this boat acceptance certificate since, both times last year, I said I had been before and signed a document to say I had not wanted a trial run!

Same here with my last few hires from Richos.

They simply wrote No Trial Run on the form and then sign here and away you go.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I am afraid Clive's response leaves me with more questions than answers.

Are they "aligning" with an agency which, by the look of of it, may not even be there for very long?

Hoseasons used to have the BOA (Broadland Owners Association) made up of the member yards and they decided on the conditions of hire, not the agency. Same thing for Blakes, but then Blakes was owned by their member yards.

If they wish to change their conditions of hire (which they haven't, on the website) then they should still be honouring bookings made in good faith and confirmed by them in writing according to their own conditions. These conditions also say they may cancel a booking up to 8 weeks before the start date, but they are now doing it 3 weeks before.

I don't know the content of this boat acceptance certificate since, both times last year, I said I had been before and signed a document to say I had not wanted a trial run! Although they had no idea of my experience.

But what about "stability tests" and canopy procedures? Susie and I are booked in May, and have paid in full. Are we now to be turned away because we have hired a 7 berth boat for 2 people, and so they think we can't get the canopy down? 

As Peter says, I fear that this sounds like the thin end of the wedge.

I think it should be remembered that inland waterways boating holidays, although an adventure and activity holiday, have a safety record, right back over the years, which must be second to none.

But what would I know? I have only been in the business for 40 years.

Vaughn,

you had best speak to the  hire company if you need specific questions answering.

The broads so have a good safety record but most years people die. 

1 minute ago, C.Ricko said:

Vaughn,

you had best speak to the  hire company if you need specific questions answering.

The broads so have a good safety record but most years people die. 

How many broads boating deaths are related to solo hirers ?

finny 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, finny said:

How many broads boating deaths are related to solo hirers ?

finny 

I don't know and I'm  not going to find out, you can google it if you want to then enlighten us. its much more fun reading the steady stream of speculation on these threads, I'm sorry i contributed and upset equilibrium in the echo chamber but I will now sit back. 

• Like 1

And so London Rascal would be declined a hire should he suddenly decide to expand his Captain Blog series, many of which were solo hires?

Well, over the years, we have all blamed Freddie Laker, the weather, the value of the pound, brexit, the BA and whoever else we have seen fit to along the way but I do sometimes wonder just how much the hire industry are to blame for their own downfall?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

I haven't replied as i have been busy today so don't start worrying about me too much, 

this change will bring us in line with our agents standard, it has not been forced and is not due to insurance. 

over the years we have had to bring in measures like stability tests and canopy procedures due to problems at other yards, these are reactive measures, 

we would rather make a change before a problem,  it is the prerogative of the other yards to take on the risk and allow single adult hires. 

We are doing our best to upgrade and accommodate all affected parties but unfortunately you can't please all the people all the time but most customers have been understanding 

if you are a regular  hirer you will have seen the boat acceptance certificate grow its content about 400% over the last 10 years,  this is a reflection of the world we live in. 

I have not read this whole thread and can't comment on individual cases 

Clive, as one of the loyal customers who's had their booking cancelled, I appreciate your taking the time to respond. I accept any business has to sometimes make difficult decisions about the service it chooses to offer its customers. I also understand you want to make the change "before a problem". However I'm still at a loss as to how the issue is so urgent that existing bookings for loyal customers have had to be cancelled? What would the risk to your business have been had you honoured the existing bookings and simply declined to accept new ones? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From Barnes Brinkcraft Facebook page:

With all the uncertainly around solo boaters at the moment, we are happy to let you know that we have no plans to change our current policy.

If your holiday has been cancelled, please contact our booking office on 01603 782625 who will be happy to help!

#notlongtilsummer ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

At the end of the day it's Clive's business and Clive's decision, respect to him for that. 

I recently made a fundamental change to my business,  as is my right.  The difference is I haven't had it discussed all over the interweb.

All businesses make changes, the people who are best placed to decide what changes to make are the owners.

Customers may not like the changes but there are other hire companies available.

Having said all that,  the execution of the changes may have been a bit hasty.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:
At the end of the day it's Clive's business and Clive's decision, respect to him for that. 

Absolutely.
With a business completely reliant on public opinion you can be damn sure it hasn’t been an easy decision or one made without a lot of thought.
Respect to Clive for posting here too bearing in mind some previous posts in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by deebee29
Correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

From Barnes Brinkcraft Facebook page:

With all the uncertainly around solo boaters at the moment, we are happy to let you know that we have no plans to change our current policy.

If your holiday has been cancelled, please contact our booking office on 01603 782625 who will be happy to help!

#notlongtilsummer ?

That is surely jumping on the bandwagon defined!   

3 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

It is jumping on the bandwagon

But do you blame them for making the most of a business opportunity.

Ray

No, not really

Not my style and wouldn't move me nearer to using them as a result, but no nothing wrong with that and perhaps might be appreciated by some who have found themselves needing to find alternative plans and still wanting to go boating

Dan

• Like 1