Marina Destroyed

YnysMon

Marina destroyed!

I find it telling that this news story hasn’t had much prominence.  There’s a capital-centric news bias both in England and Wales.  In Welsh news it trailed a long time after news of people being stuck in traffic in South Wales. The Marina in Holyhead, Anglesey has been completely devastated by high winds with about 70 private boats and another 10 company boats being smashed up /sunk. I know there’s lots of disruption due to snow, but I would have thought that this might have featured as a news item!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-43257319

Helen

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That's sad isn't it. I think the problem is that there are so many weather related stories to tell at the moment. I watched Newswatch this morning where people were complaining that the weather has had too much coverage this week at the expense of other news. I don't really agree because as someone who has had to work all week, I have wanted to come home in the evening and see what has been happening in other parts of the UK. Just so glad it's the weekend.

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I hope that the contractors behind the marina are well insured! Surely a well designed and built marina can survive a force twelve?

Is it a newly built marina? 

It really saddens me how " America like" we are becoming , with this lets sue for everything . I really don't know, but my guess is that marina has seen many a storm pass, with no issues . Mother Nature ( as I'm sure you are well aware) is one powerful unpredictable beast. 

In years to come , nobody will be prepared to do anything , with the fear of taking the blame outweighing any rewards. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My son is "OP'S Manager for an offshore workboat group which supports windfarms as well. They have vessels in Mostyn just along from there but had a couple in Holyhead as well even tied to the same pontoon as the stricken vessels. I have footage taken from his skippers phone which ill try to upload.  (if some photos of ladies in various forms of undress appear instead, I've been hacked).

XOFV3808.JPG

DTGF9495.MP4

BRQG4098.JPG

WBJK7189.JPG

NTWH9933.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The Marina is fairly new, normally fairly sheltered from the prevailing wind but not from a north-easterly. I’m hoping that this will prompt a re-think of a proposed expansion to the Marina development that would have built over the main extent of Holyhead beach. The locals have been up in arms about the prospect. Trouble is that the shoreline is owned by Stena.

H

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Marina destroyed!

I find it telling that this news story hasn’t had much prominence.  There’s a capital-centric news bias both in England and Wales.  In Welsh news it trailed a long time after news of people being stuck in traffic in South Wales. The Marina in Holyhead, Anglesey has been completely devastated by high winds with about 70 private boats and another 10 company boats being smashed up /sunk. I know there’s lots of disruption due to snow, but I would have thought that this might have featured as a news item!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-43257319

Helen

Afraid that if it hasn't happened in London the media aren't interested. The place is my idea of a living nightmare !

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

How appalling, Helen, a Force 12 storm is unbelievably immense in its ferocity. We've been out in a F11 (on a 75,000 ton liner) and that was scary enough.

Our total sympathy to all those involved.     :default_crying1animated:

Rubbish, i bet you sailed your Freeward 30 through worse? lol.

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

The Marina is fairly new, normally fairly sheltered from the prevailing wind but not from a north-easterly. I’m hoping that this will prompt a re-think of a proposed expansion to the Marina development that would have built over the main extent of Holyhead beach. The locals have been up in arms about the prospect. Trouble is that the shoreline is owned by Stena.

H

The trouble is H, where big money is concerned, the interests  of the locals does`nt even come into it, and the big money backers start accusing locals of being a bunch of NIMBY`s.

• Thanks 1

I can recall a storm in the 70s that seriously damaged Holyhead breakwater (a very substantial stone structure), it was almost breached in two places, so I don’t find it that surprising that a storm could smash up the Marina pontoons.

Helen